Match Thread Sheffield United v. Bristol City - 28th November 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
BRIS
BRIS
BRIS
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1638009122446.png v. 1638009131192.png
Championship Week 20 - Sunday 28th November 2021 - 12:30 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - Sheffield United vs Bristol City

Officials:

Referee:
Geoff Eltringham
Assistant Referee: Adrian Waters
Assistant Referee: Andrew Dallison
Fourth Official: Sebastian Stockbridge

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1638009266635.png

📺
Live TV Coverage
:

Screenshot 2021-11-27 at 10.31.32.png

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Hourihane learning from the enda school of shocking touch. MGW from the Didsy school of finishing. But overall it was very encouraging. Hecky knows how to get these guys playing. Slav seemingly didnt. BTW Bristol were worst team we’ve played for a while.

The players looked a lot fitter today with how much quicker they were with the passing and the how much more of the ball we had today.

Weren't giving the ball away as regular as we were under Slav. Much better performance by the players and let hope it continues and this was not a one off

Slav who?
On the various websites, I've yet to see one post regretting that we didn't get a chance to give him a proper send off. Wonder why?

New and improved Diet Wilderball.

All the flavour, half the wages.

Much, much more like it. Actually enjoyed it.

Gibbs-White should have had a couple, a few dodgy moments but overall great.

Bash was fantastic.

Didn’t go today.

I’ve only missed 1 other home game, that was the 6-2 win against Peterboro.
Many have said that was our best performance of the season.

Dare I ask if today was our 2nd best performance of the season?

I have a season ticket but maybe I should miss more matches.

Much, much better. Much more energy. Moving the ball a lot quicker and being more positive. Great to see over 20 shots and while we are some way away from being a side who could challenge we looked much more competitive. We were noticeably getting the ball up the pitch quicker and putting balls into areas and not just passing to feet. Lots more movement and desire on show as well. We had an iffy patch in the second half but kept going in less than ideal conditions. One of the things I did notice that when the CBs or WBs were getting forward they weren't just doing what we used to do and create overlaps but they were cutting inside and pulling players around. Creating space for other players.

Foderingham - 7 - Made a very good save from an unmarked header which he did great to push it so far out. Thought he had a few iffy moments when he didn't take shots cleanly and that daft kick. Difficult conditions for a keeper though.
Stevens - 7.5 - Game of the season for me. Noticeably tired toward the end but was heavily involved with our attacking play first half, coming inside and creating space for other players. Much better and some good defensive work as well.
Davies - 6 - Idiotic overplaying near the end and was the weakest of our defenders. A couple of their chances came from him not doing better, but still a decent day.
Egan - 7.5 - He's had a poor season but much better today. Very solid and had his hands full. Had a couple of headers he should have done better with from corners.
Basham - 8 - Best defender today. Couple of iffy misjudgement in the weather but lots of energy and drive. Got forward and created space for others. Made some vital challenges at the back
Bogle - 7 - Got forward well and put a couple of good crosses in. His final decision and ball need to be better, at times, though. Did ok in defence but exposed a couple of time. One occasion near the end when their player had acres of space.
Hourihane - 7 - Much better today. He was further forward and having him and Norwood on the pitch gave us so many more options with angles of attack. Didn't have his striking boots on but put a couple of great set-pieces in.
Norwood - 7 - As above. A much better game and he was much more involved going forward. Great ball for our second.
Gibbs-White - 8 - Loses a point for overplaying a few times towards the end and that atrocious dive trying to get a penalty (which he was lucky not to get booked and sent off for). He clearly struggles defensively and was walking a tightrope a but put a shift in. Some great skill going forward and he was electric first half.
McGoldrick - 7 - Lots of movement and involved a lot but not everything came off. Put a shift in and was a bit clumsy tackling back but a lot of our chances involve his movement or intelligence on and off the ball.
Brewster - 6.5 - Took the goal well and put a shift in. He is learning the role (which is madness for someone coming through an EPL academy) Gets better with every game but still miles off where he should be as a striker in terms of movement and running

Subs

Sharp - 7.5 - Excellent when he came on and has the nouse Brewster lacks as a forward player, but sadly not the legs. We picked up again when he came on because he was an outlet all the time.
Berge - 7 - Impressed. Not showy but kept the ball moving and made a very good tracking run to put their player off a shot
Osborn - n/a

Hecky - 8 - Similar team to last game but an entirely different performance. So much more energy. Players pressing and showing desire to get to the ball first. We did lose it a bit second half and I'd have probably brought Osborn on earlier, but a good start.

Bristol City - Strong, physical and they have some talented players but seem to struggle to work as a unit. I was impressed with Massengo. Looked a right handful and really difficult to shake off. They'll likely finish in the top half but I can't see them threatening the top 2.

said it many times on this forum this squad of players were not playing for slav something just wasnt right

Encouraged as we seemed to create more chances. So far so good. UTB

Didn’t go today.

I’ve only missed 1 other home game, that was the 6-2 win against Peterboro.
Many have said that was our best performance of the season.

Dare I ask if today was our 2nd best performance of the season?

I have a season ticket but maybe I should miss more matches.
The opposition were much stronger, and the conditions worse, so arguably better to be honest.

Well gotta say I was really buoyed by that performance, not perfect by any means but to get that amount of improvement in such a short time on the training ground, wow. Norwood and Hourihane had a strong games (apart from one poor pass when he thought he was offside) and the general fight was there from everyone, it looked structured and planned not nervous and worried. Very encouraging.

Forgot to say, one of the main differences was that players weren't looking for runs. They already knew where the other players were or were prepared to take a chance with a ball over the top/down the flanks.

Well gotta say I was really buoyed by that performance, not perfect by any means but to get that amount of improvement in such a short time on the training ground, wow. Norwood and Hourihane had a strong games (apart from one poor pass when he thought he was offside) and the general fight was there from everyone, it looked structured and planned not nervous and worried. Very encouraging.

Hallelujah…..about time the players started showing what they are capable of.
Will be interesting to see if McBurnie improves too.

95% of our fans could be left with egg on their faces.
They all wanted Slav to stay but changing managers so soon could turn into a master stroke by the Prince.

first time weve looked to have a plan
progressive not regressive

70 plus possession that had purpose and an end product
players supporting each other and more importantly finding each other even in heavy snow

Good to see plenty of positive posts.. Unable to get to the Lane as working, then got home and the red button wouldn't perform,having paid my tenner..oh well, just glad we got 3 points. UTB!

You forgot Norwood tracked back, made tackles and didn't pass the ball backwards at every opportunity. Actually had a good game. 7 out of 10.
I think it's fair to give Norwood positive credit as well, as I've been nagging about his actions before. Thanks for the reminder!

Not sure if posted elsewhere but I haven't seen it...

The last time we recorded 3 clean sheets on the spin was in April 2019 (2-0 Forest, 3-0 Hull, 2-0 Ipswich).

Back to back league wins for the first since July 2020, also.

Let's all calm down and not get carried away, Bristol City weren't great so a sensible question:

Will we win the League by more or less than 100 points?
all 4 play off places still up for grabs bournemouth and fulham will go up in a canter but two thirds of rest of teams in this division have play off chances and baggies have dropped off their nowt special anybody for a blades v boro play off final 😉

Back
Top Bottom