2022/2023 Match Thread Sheffield United v. Blackburn Rovers - FA Cup Quarter Final - 19th March 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
BLA
BLA
BLA
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
sufc.gif
vs.
blackburnrovers.gif

FA Cup Quarter Final - Sunday 19th March 2023 - 12:00 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-blackburn-rovers.655/

Officials:

Referee: Tim Robinson
Assistant Referee: Timothy Wood
Assistant Referee: Nick Greenhalgh
VAR: Paul Tierney
AVAR: Richard West

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1671401521883.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 22.32.21.png

It's a comment made to me by pals who have never really watched him play. Does make me laugh how we have a fair number of fans who will just agree regardless of what he actually does.
Even before he ended the goal drought he was absolutely working his bollocks off for the team in that way Sharp used to in his prime. Supporting the other forwards, tracking back, goal-line clearances etc. Opposite of a Haaland type. For me he's been a key player in the promotion side, yet some want to see him leave on a free.

He’s scored more than I thought he would this year but take the purple patch out he had at the start of the season and his stats look very different. He’s been poor for the previous 3 seasons before this one. He has a lack of mobility, doesn’t have a good first touch and isn’t great at holding the ball up. Average Championship player.
On the other hand if you take out the period where he struggled for goals his record looks immense… tricky business this.

Take your point about his flaws, I’m not sure if he’s got it in him to step up a level tbh, but some people’s (not necessarily yours) efforts to do him down are a joke.

On the other hand if you take out the period where he struggled for goals his record looks immense… tricky business this.

Take your point about his flaws, I’m not sure if he’s got it in him to step up a level tbh, but some people’s (not necessarily yours) efforts to do him down are a joke.
He’s scored consistent goals and been fit for a period of 2/3 months in 4 years.

That should have finished about 6-1, not kidding.

Hitting the post twice in the same minute from different bits of play is a first.

Berge should have netted.

Then Osula had two or three he dragged wide. Billy was screening on the third miss but I'm pretty sure when facing the keeper Billy wouldn't have been pulling it back to the edge of the box!

think Billy would have started today (to get his 250th) if it was his last game - but can he really do owt in PL ?

That should have finished about 6-1, not kidding.

Hitting the post twice in the same minute from different bits of play is a first.

Berge should have netted.

Then Osula had two or three he dragged wide. Billy was screening on the third miss but I'm pretty sure when facing the keeper Billy wouldn't have been pulling it back to the edge of the box!
Need to shoot better in PL coz we won't get 21 chances like today

Good to hear , but can he & Jebbo learn how to take chances in the 3 months available - is their a course we can send them on ?
I don't know but he very much made those chances for himself with his outright power and that's a rare asset for us to have

I don't know but he very much made those chances for himself with his outright power and that's a rare asset for us to have
Indeed , these are the type of players we need to win the Championship if we happen to come back down next season so let's have their contracts sorted - DCL when he left us IMO was Bambi On Ice , but Everton could see his physical attributes.
There's a saying that you can turn a strong athlete into a footballer but it's more difficult to turn a decent footballer into a strong athlete.
Jebbo & Osula need some top coaching in the close season

A good end to the season, especially considering how poor Huddersfield was. Fair few changes to the first team and we huffed and puffed a bit first half aside from hitting the post twice in a minute. Much better second half and it was comfortable in the end and we looked much more likely to score another than them. Could have easily had 4 or 5.

Davies - 5 - Kicking in open play is poor. There was also a noticeable lack of communication from him. I expect that's the last we'll see of him unless he's prepared to warm the bench as third choice keeper.
Stevens - 7 - Again, I think this is his last game and maybe his best of the season. Got forward a lot and much more dangerous than Baldock. Lovely break and pass for Berge and put a few good first time crosses in.
Robbo - 6 - Struggled a bit today but probably won on points in the end. Needed to foul his man a lot (which he mostly got away with)
Egan - 6.5 - Steady. Stuck to his task and kept the defensive shape well
Basham - 6 - Weird one. Great cross for the second and got forward well but a bit hazardous at the back. Got done again but made a very good block as well.
Baldock - 5.5 - Why can't you cross George? Why can Bash put a cross in first time and you turn back inside all the time? Does my head in. A bit to over eager today and hope the injury isn't serious.
Fleck - 5.5 - Did ok in bits. Showed his lack of pace but kept going.
Doyle - 7.5 - POTM - Full of energy. Up and down all game. Unlucky when he hit the post. Not everything came off, and he needs to perhaps make better decisions as they broke on us from his mistake a couple of times, but has really finished the season strongly.
McAtee - 6 - Took the goal well (though he could hardly miss and unlucky to hit the post with his wrong foot). I thought he was ineffective for long spells though, but he seems to pop up in the right place. He's made such a huge improvement since the start of the season. If he keeps improving at this rate he'll be an England star in a few years.
Ndiaye - 7 - What a workrate. I don't think I've ever seen a forward who never stops running. Lots of junking runs even if it didn't just come off for him. Player of the season by a long country mile.
McBurnie - 5.5 - Took his goal really well and it was a bit better today but really, really, needs to work on his strength and hold-up play. It just doesn't stick and his control needs to be much better.

Subs:

Berge - 5.5 - Didn't come off for him today. Should have scored when clean through and almost gifted them an equaliser with a sloppy backpass. He has finished the season very strongly though. Gets an extra half point for an outrageous throughball.
Osula - 7 - Looked an absolute handful but no end product. Very similar to Jebbo in many ways but needs to take one of those chances. Also doesn't look up and see what else. I can understand why Billy was so angry but I'd have shot as well. However, you can see he's head down and lacks awareness of what's around him. Needs a good loan next season where he starts most games. Back to Derby maybe. I'd like him higher but I'd rather him play in a team near the top of their league.
Sharp - 5.5 - Still not got a 250 and over the last few games it looks to be getting to him. Did ok a few times but you can see how he's slipped behind the younger strikers in the pecking order.
Norwood - 6 - Did well in a lot of ways but I've never seen him so keen to shoot! Maybe his last game for us?
Bayabu - Good to see him get a debut. Didn't embarrass himself.

Hecky - 8 - Changed the team a bit and it's credit he got a half decent performance out of them. Had to change shape with the Baldock injury and we actually kicked on from it. Not been a bad season for him.

Birmingham - Like us, nothing to play for. They made a few changes and gave us a decent game but faded as the second half went on.

Back
Top Bottom