Sheffield United accounts 20/21 explained

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Some interesting comments on the clubs strategy going forward, clearly understands that and l’d guess discussed with the owner at some point. Skirted around some of his tweets about profits and whatever , but would bore most people watching so rightly stuck to more bullit points. The turnover in 2018 and 2019 was over £20m each year.

Re United World, after explaining why we needed loans to fund expenditure on players and overheads etc he then states money isn’t an issue over infrastructure spending. Even if we borrow it, it still has not be repaid out of possibly decreasing income. Or is the Prince going to fund everything himself until the next Messi, Foden and Lee Baxter come through?

Cant knock the show overall though and will have answered the majority of the questions most asked by fans.

For some reason I can’t get it to play.

Is it just me?

Learned a lot from that. Genuinely very informative. (Just don't give me a test on the details.)
Same!

This was all very eye opening for me. I'm not really a 'numbers guy' and finances are really not my area of expertise but Darren makes it digestible. The agents stuff blew my mind!

Some interesting comments on the clubs strategy going forward, clearly understands that and l’d guess discussed with the owner at some point. Skirted around some of his tweets about profits and whatever , but would bore most people watching so rightly stuck to more bullit points. The turnover in 2018 and 2019 was over £20m each year.

Re United World, after explaining why we needed loans to fund expenditure on players and overheads etc he then states money isn’t an issue over infrastructure spending. Even if we borrow it, it still has not be repaid out of possibly decreasing income. Or is the Prince going to fund everything himself until the next Messi, Foden and Lee Baxter come through?

Cant knock the show overall though and will have answered the majority of the questions most asked by fans.

I hope he’s well informed with the infrastructure comments. We see the hotel rotting and the delays (or cancellation) of training ground upgrades and can only draw different conclusions.

United World sounds a good strategy it's just that we possibly have to wait years for it to be even worth it.

The word you are looking foto describe the explanation of accounts is, ‘illuminating’.
Thank you Darren for explaining a complex issue that most of us struggle with.
Like Nick said at the end, it may take a few replays of that vid to grasp it all fully, but invaluable input from a guy who knows his stuff, and is a Blades fan. Couldn’t have asked for better.
Why has Hal grown a pointed head for this show? 🤷‍♂️

Excellent SUW skit was that and highlighted a lot of buried detail on where we are as a business.

From what was said it can be deduced that the moderately profligate spend when we went up is still hanging over us and players like Moussett, Burke, McBurnie, Freeman (remember him?) and Lowe (him too?) are just depreciating, sunk money we have yet to pay a lot off still. Regardless of Ramsdale sale also, which is the only make-back we have achieved regarding transfers. Those players - about £50m worth of spend on paper, wouldn't get ten percent of that back if we were to have a fire sale today.

Thinking on, if we were to achieve promotion this year, we'd then have to borrow further on a proposed and expected run in the top flight with shitloads of TV money and other income trickling in. We'd never survive five minutes up there with this squad. It needs new parts in all the running gear.

pommpey

Thinking on, if we were to achieve promotion this year, we'd then have to borrow further on a proposed and expected run in the top flight with shitloads of TV money and other income trickling in. We'd never survive five minutes up there with this squad. It needs new parts in all the running gear.

pommpey
A point I keep seeing raised and you're not wrong, but we have almost as much squad surgery to do even if we don't go up. Without the prem money I worry we'll be going back in for Matty Spring, Keith Treacey and Jordan Stewart.

God I hope someone at the club somewhere has learnt some lessons from last time .

A point I keep seeing raised and you're not wrong, but we have almost as much squad surgery to do even if we don't go up. Without the prem money I worry we'll be going back in for Matty Spring, Keith Treacey and Jordan Stewart.

God I hope someone at the club somewhere has learnt some lessons from last time .

Christ. The misplaced optimism when we signed players like that. Everyone which arrived at BDTBL ... 'good signing, will fit in well' right down to 'who the fuck is he?'

The list is long and undistinguished and the term 'feeding off scraps' is applicable. If anything, we haven't been bestowed with great riches we will greatly miss, like say Everton, when they fall through the trapdoor hopefully. When you think about it, Murphy, Maguire, Brooks, Jaglieka v1.0 and Brown have been the only ship-jumpers which have properly harmed us with regard the replacement strategies have been distinctly Chad Valley. Then we've suffered from the injuries to O'Connell and Coutts and maybe Brayford and their replacements have been hit and miss ... largely miss.

Thank fuck for Bash and Billy. Two acquisitions who have overpaid their tenure many, many times.

pommpey

Basically, although we've made profits in the previous 2 years, there are big losses on the horizon due to the transfer fees we still owe. Ramsdale fee will cover about half of what we still owe.

Interesting to see Wilder say we took a universal 50% pay cut on relegation...

Really good that, thanks. He comes across much better in person than he does on Twitter to be fair to him.

The agents basically acting as estate agents for unwanted players is quite eye-opening but probably shouldn't have been too surprising given we managed to get Milwall to take both Burke AND Freeman!

Basically, although we've made profits in the previous 2 years, there are big losses on the horizon due to the transfer fees we still owe. Ramsdale fee will cover about half of what we still owe.

Losses won’t be down to outstanding transfer fees. That’s a cash flow issue. Any losses will primarily be down to lower income. There are however costs for player amortisation, ie writing off transfer fees over contract lengths. Player sales would reduce this figure.

Really good that, thanks. He comes across much better in person than he does on Twitter to be fair to him.

The agents basically acting as estate agents for unwanted players is quite eye-opening but probably shouldn't have been too surprising given we managed to get Milwall to take both Burke AND Freeman!
Agreed, he does explain things very well. Thanks for the feedback!

Why does he sound like he’s got a peg on his nose?

Though the Boro fans would be pissed off if he was always talking about Sheffield United.

Maybe some had a bigger wage cut than 50%, he is just being diplomatic.

Back
Top Bottom