Sheffield struggles

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No that's it, numptys dusty ruts asked me, and I told him what I think is good about Sheffield.

So what is it you hate about trees, good sir? It is the way the leaves glisten in the summer sun or do you just resent all the air they make for you?

So what is it you hate about trees, good sir? It is the way the leaves glisten in the summer sun or do you just resent all the air they make for you?

I like trees
Nice manicured and disease treated ones are lovely

Overgrown, weed ridden hunks of shit shedding dirty, muddy shitty leaves all over the place are ugly though.

I like trees
Nice manicured and disease treated ones are lovely

Overgrown, weed ridden hunks of shit shedding dirty, muddy shitty leaves all over the place are ugly though.

So you don't hate all trees, just some trees 😁

We're getting somewhere!

Is it time to interject (as someone who left Sheffield to Leeds) is the principle difference I observe is that people in Sheffield are without without parallel in their ability to moan about everything and anything. Or certainly a greater proportion than anywhere I’ve ever lived.

It’s more a “can moan” attitude rather than “can do”.

i left Sheffield 28 years ago and i;ve missed it every day since .
Same here mate, left in 1973. Get a lump in the throat every time I return.
When I still had good legs, I did the Sheffield Half marathon and the Sheffield 10K…..Did my 2 worst times ever! too busy looking at the buildings and remembering what the shops used to be etc.

It‘s a proper city, always was and always will be.

Even Oxford St in London is affected by empty shop units etc

now……as for Teesside, where do I start……

I thought Michie was a pig as well, not sure, but could have sworn he was
I thought they all were, but then I remembered one of our season review videos from the 90s and Michie was on it, and I bottled it 😅

I've lived in other places too, but I was born here, and sent back by my employer at the time who assumed I'd like to go back home, I wasn't that bothered to be honest, but I took the job. I did miss my family and some of my friends.

So, Nether Edge Hospital was one good thing, I was born there, it doesn't exist anymore of course.

Other good things include:
Errrmm, trees, no scrap that, ugly bleeding things.

Errrmm, countryside which isn't Sheffield really

Errrmm, Kelham Island, which is an industrial slum which hasn't been redeveloped at all, just a few pubs have sprung up selling real ale, which tastes of cabbage

Errrmm, Meadowhall, I know this is a contentious issue as most of Sheffield would have preferred to leave the pile of rat infested bricks from the steelworks to be laying there instead. But I think it's ok.

Leopard Square, good, doesn't sell real ale or bitter though, and is quite expensive, so is full of non Sheffielders

Ecclesall Road, good but dead at 11.00 at night, it has residents you know, and they need their sleep which is why they bought an apartment on one of Sheffields busiest drinking and eating streets.

The Arena, was good until Leeds built their Arena, and now it's been renamed the "Cry, bawl, squeal, How can we possibly compete, bawl, cry, squeal, whinge Arena", and will be derelict in 10 years, or less.

The airport, that was actually very good, extremely funny.

Sheffield Steelers, they're good, the most succesful ice hockey team in Britain, and might have some further success as long as British Ice Hockey players earn little more than minimum wage.

And that's about it me old China, can't think of owt else
Thanks JJ, we do have some context now. I was born in 1958. Moved to Dronfield when I was 2 and spent my entire childhood there. When you live somewhere like that, Sheffield in the 60's and 70's was utterly buzzing, from the Christmas lights to the Hole in the Road, Redgates, just bright lights. The Petula Clark song "Downtown" came out when I was 6, I've always loved it, and to me it's the Moor at Christmas in about 1966, because I have lovely memories of it. It's not been like that for a very long time, and probably wasn't like that for very long anyway. But we get fixed ideas of places we like at a certain time, but nowhere stays the same.
Weirdly, one of the things that pissed me off for years about Sheffield when I lived there, was the increasing number of "incomers" (usually, but not exclusively, ex-students from the south, or people relocated for work from the south), who occupied ever larger parts of "nice green Sheffield", where I couldn't afford to live (and still can't really!!), and rambled on about how wonderful Sheffield is, which is fairly accurate if you live where they do, but rather less so if you were witness to Sheffield's more southeastern suburbs going down the pan over 20odd years. Because these places had and have nice shops, bars etc., and all other needs were met by Meadowhall (and I don't think it's that bad either), they and loads of others had no use for the city centre, so essentially over time it's died, or at least is in ICU. I agree that the council haven't covered themselves in glory, but I think it's a cultural thing rather than a party political thing, as the same party runs more "successful" cities.
Because I now live in "Greater Barnsley", I see Sheffield in a different and more positive way than when I lived there. I live in a village which is quiet, green, and has one pub and one shop, and amazing walks and scenery. It's lovely, and to live somewhere as nice in Sheffield is utterly beyond what I could afford, especially in the sort of house I live in. But Sheffield is only 35 minutes on the train, it does still have a buzz, and it does have some great pubs, restaurants and bars. Leopold Square is nice, but I haven't been for years.
I think what I'm trying to say is think about appreciating what there is, rather than some vision of what it was in some imagined "heyday", and you may like it a bit more.
Failing that, move to get some nice country air with nice people, and a good rail connection to the "big city ". Worked for me!!! 😊

Thanks JJ, we do have some context now. I was born in 1958. Moved to Dronfield when I was 2 and spent my entire childhood there. When you live somewhere like that, Sheffield in the 60's and 70's was utterly buzzing, from the Christmas lights to the Hole in the Road, Redgates, just bright lights. The Petula Clark song "Downtown" came out when I was 6, I've always loved it, and to me it's the Moor at Christmas in about 1966, because I have lovely memories of it. It's not been like that for a very long time, and probably wasn't like that for very long anyway. But we get fixed ideas of places we like at a certain time, but nowhere stays the same.
Weirdly, one of the things that pissed me off for years about Sheffield when I lived there, was the increasing number of "incomers" (usually, but not exclusively, ex-students from the south, or people relocated for work from the south), who occupied ever larger parts of "nice green Sheffield", where I couldn't afford to live (and still can't really!!), and rambled on about how wonderful Sheffield is, which is fairly accurate if you live where they do, but rather less so if you were witness to Sheffield's more southeastern suburbs going down the pan over 20odd years. Because these places had and have nice shops, bars etc., and all other needs were met by Meadowhall (and I don't think it's that bad either), they and loads of others had no use for the city centre, so essentially over time it's died, or at least is in ICU. I agree that the council haven't covered themselves in glory, but I think it's a cultural thing rather than a party political thing, as the same party runs more "successful" cities.
Because I now live in "Greater Barnsley", I see Sheffield in a different and more positive way than when I lived there. I live in a village which is quiet, green, and has one pub and one shop, and amazing walks and scenery. It's lovely, and to live somewhere as nice in Sheffield is utterly beyond what I could afford, especially in the sort of house I live in. But Sheffield is only 35 minutes on the train, it does still have a buzz, and it does have some great pubs, restaurants and bars. Leopold Square is nice, but I haven't been for years.
I think what I'm trying to say is think about appreciating what there is, rather than some vision of what it was in some imagined "heyday", and you may like it a bit more.
Failing that, move to get some nice country air with nice people, and a good rail connection to the "big city ". Worked for me!!! 😊

Marvellous mate, pleased you're happy

I am too, in spite of my views of Sheffield and the ever growing sub culture that seem to be spawned here over the last 30 years.

I know all cities have them, but a lack of, or smaller number of decent professional people has inflated the percentage of this sub culture to the point that it now feels like their own zombie post apocalyptic world, and not mine any more

Marvellous mate, pleased you're happy

I am too, in spite of my views of Sheffield and the ever growing sub culture that seem to be spawned here over the last 30 years.

I know all cities have them, but a lack of, or smaller number of decent professional people has inflated the percentage of this sub culture to the point that it now feels like their own zombie post apocalyptic world, and not mine any more
Cheers JJ, I'm pleased you're happy too. I do really get where you're coming from, I don't look at Sheffield through rose tinted specs (nor Barnsley either, chuffinell!!). But I can see the good bits of both and try to focus on them, not always easy!
Anyway enough for now, goodneet cocker, as they say round here! 😉

I thought they all were, but then I remembered one of our season review videos from the 90s and Michie was on it, and I bottled it 😅

I remember the video too and thought Michie was speaking with a fake smile and with a politicians diplomatic tongue.

He talked about it being great for Sheffield that United were in the First Division, but he didn't strike me as being genuinely delighted.

I can't really remember who he supported, but I always thought Richard Caborn was the only major politician in Sheffield

Back
Top Bottom