Sheffield struggles

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yes
But I referred to the towns surrounding Leeds being part of Greater Leeds at some point in the near future.

Stockport, Blackburn, Bolton, Oldham, Altrincham amongst other places all have their own postcodes and are all towns in their own right, but they are still a part of Greater Manchester
Blackburn isn’t in Greater Manchester. Greater Manchester is a county the same as South Yorkshire is a county. West Yarkshire is also a county containing leeds although the administrative centre is Wakefield.
The towns in Greater Manchester are not part of the City of Manchester, they are places within a county which also contains Manchester, there is no such thing as Greater leeds.

Blackburn isn’t in Greater Manchester. Greater Manchester is a county the same as South Yorkshire is a county. West Yarkshire is also a county containing leeds although the administrative centre is Wakefield.
The towns in Greater Manchester are not part of the City of Manchester, they are places within a county which also contains Manchester, there is no such thing as Greater leeds.

I know,
Why don't you read a thread before commenting

It's all part of the big plan to make Sheffield as insular as possible.

You don't need roads and other infrastructure if you make it as difficult as possible for cars

We now have a 30 year history at least of people driving to Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham and God knows where else to do their spending, all because the pricks in charge of this place are hanging onto their "Sheffield people don't want or need that belief"

In 30 years when the whole world is driving around in clean, no emissions motors, what are the local councils going to do ?

Will traffic still be banned from the City Centre ? And what will their excuse be ?

Will the M1 as it bypasses Sheffield still slow the traffic down to (improve air quality) the biggest laugh of all ?

Yeah great idea lads and lasses, bunch the traffic up together and let it kick out even more shit over the so called "greenest" city in the country.

This is the sort of thing that happens when you employ city planners on the basic that they cycle to work, or at least get the bus. They haven't a clue.
I don't think you actually like or have any affection for Sheffield. You also appear to not think much of the inhabitants either. If you actually do your homework you'll find that most cities are trying to reduce car use, and that most cities are bypassed by motorways.

I don't think you actually like or have any affection for Sheffield. You also appear to not think much of the inhabitants either. If you actually do your homework you'll find that most cities are trying to reduce car use, and that most cities are bypassed by motorways.

Have you never come across JJBlade before? He absolutely hates the city that he still chooses to live in and will take any opportunity whatsoever to slag it off. He won’t do anything himself to make it any better and, as I say, he still chooses to live here. He also absolutely hates Sheffield United and will take any opportunity to slag the club off as well. If you’d seen his posts previously you may have noticed that he was fairly absent from here during our rise to the Premier League.

Essentially Thatcher abolished the metropolitan counties, only keeping services like police, fire and ambulance services, which the individual boroughs (Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster in what was South Yorkshire) fund. They only existed for I think less than 15 years. The "capital" of South Yorkshire was actually Barnsley, where they built a new County Hall (long since demolished). They were another layer of government, created by the Tories, and abolished by them when they backfired on them by essentially becoming Labour strongholds.

My point is, Sheffield doesn't have to reduce the traffic, no fucker wants to come here anyway.

It has about a tenth of the traffic problems of similar sized cities because nobody comes here.

When you have another Sheffielder sat in the car with you, and they say something like "In't traffic terrible" because your third in line at a bleeding roundabout, that's total gridlock as far as a Sheffielder knows.

Just a thought here JJ.
have you ever been to Sheffield ?........ :tumbleweed:

Yes, I live here.
And as at least one poster rather ignorantly puts it "Why live here, if you hate it so much"

Like it's the easiest thing in the world to leave family, friends, work and relocate and start all over again somewhere else, and like it's as easy for my other half to do the same.

It doesn't stop the place from being an absolute toilet.

In every department that makes a city a good city Sheffield has gone beyond failing, and is now at the point of FAILED.

It's like there is a manual called "Making a good City" and Sheffield has done it's best to ignore every single page of it and do the exact opposite, in some weird attempt to do things differently to every succesful city worldwide.

There's no catching up now, it's over, in 30 years it'll be as relevant as Telford or Castleford or Featherstone or some other miniscule shitheap, and the Hattersley's, the Betts, the Plunketts, the Ashtons, the Michies and all the other dickheads from the time when we lost our ability to catch up should hang their heads in shame. They've created a disgrace from which no current council can rescue the place.

And to those that said "Leave then".

If I didn't live here I wouldn't have an opinion one way or another.

My point is, Sheffield doesn't have to reduce the traffic, no fucker wants to come here anyway.

It has about a tenth of the traffic problems of similar sized cities because nobody comes here.

When you have another Sheffielder sat in the car with you, and they say something like "In't traffic terrible" because your third in line at a bleeding roundabout, that's total gridlock as far as a Sheffielder knows.

You talk of others being ignorant and then you come out with stuff like this, which manages get both ignorance and condescension all rolled together in one post. You talk about ‘Sheffielders’ like you aren’t one of them and are somehow better.

Have you ever done anything to try and improve things?

You talk of others being ignorant and then you come out with stuff like this, which manages get both ignorance and condescension all rolled together in one post. You talk about ‘Sheffielders’ like you aren’t one of them and are somehow better.

Have you ever done anything to try and improve things?

He’s still here,so no......

I know at least one person on here who is a Freemason and have met others. Decent bunch of people that don't deserve the negative publicity and acrimony they often get
People are a little paranoid, and suspicious but to be fair it's not like the ritual human sacrifice happens at every meeting,,

The council help fund Tramlines in the early days but when it comes to maintaining council services in the face of swinging cuts you would be barking mad to sacrifice bin collections or street lighting for a 3 day festival.
Sheffield council have no jurisdiction over whether trams run or not thanks to the free for all introduced by one M Thatcher's government.
Thanks for your response. Think you’ll find SCC do have some influence of Trams running, cost etc. Could be time to stop blaming a woman who died years ago for everything that is wrong with our great city.

Attachments

• FA16B0C3-EF7D-4BE5-A450-977D8D6305AF.png
    FA16B0C3-EF7D-4BE5-A450-977D8D6305AF.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

(Please be very careful here, depression is a serious condition and this guy appears to have got it by the bucket load.)

Look JJ the only advice I can give you on this subject is -

1/ To only worry about things you can actually do something about,
2/ Never put your self in a tizzy over thing you have absolutely no control what so ever.
3/ remember your being a very silly boy if you do so.

And think on, no matter how bad it may seem at the time there is ALWAYS someone far worse off than you are.
Always look on the bright side of life,
just think ,
you could be living here AND born a

a

There's no catching up now, it's over, in 30 years it'll be as relevant as Telford or Castleford or Featherstone or some other miniscule shitheap, and the Hattersley's, the Betts, the Blunketts, the Ashtons, the Michies and all the other dickheads from the time when we lost our ability to catch up should hang their heads in shame. They've created a disgrace from which no current council can rescue the place.
Other than Michie, aren't they all pigs?

Figures, doesn't it.

Yes, I live here.
And as at least one poster rather ignorantly puts it "Why live here, if you hate it so much"

Like it's the easiest thing in the world to leave family, friends, work and relocate and start all over again somewhere else, and like it's as easy for my other half to do the same.

It doesn't stop the place from being an absolute toilet.

In every department that makes a city a good city Sheffield has gone beyond failing, and is now at the point of FAILED.

It's like there is a manual called "Making a good City" and Sheffield has done it's best to ignore every single page of it and do the exact opposite, in some weird attempt to do things differently to every succesful city worldwide.

There's no catching up now, it's over, in 30 years it'll be as relevant as Telford or Castleford or Featherstone or some other miniscule shitheap, and the Hattersley's, the Betts, the Plunketts, the Ashtons, the Michies and all the other dickheads from the time when we lost our ability to catch up should hang their heads in shame. They've created a disgrace from which no current council can rescue the place.

And to those that said "Leave then".

If I didn't live here I wouldn't have an opinion one way or another.
Have you thought about making a list of good things about Sheffield? It may be easier than you think, and be good for your mental health. Living your life in what you consider to be a toilet isn't a healthy place to be. After a lifetime of working in an office environment, 16 months of home based working either drove me nuts, or I tried to find some positives. I found some, and feel a whole lot better for it!!

Affording those wages is all mixed up in the successful club, successful city thing, you don't get one without the other nowadays.
There's a big reason why London and Manchester are the dominant forces in football,
Successful cities attract big business, modern business, especially in the financial sector and the thousands of different career paths you have within it, this in turn means better infrastructure, which in turn attracts better amenities, leisure, hospitality, dining, bars, shops, and streets that a better quality of person wants to spend time on.

5.00 after work in Leeds and Manchester and you're struggling to get a seat in one of hundreds of quality places to eat and drink

5.00 in Sheffield, well, Doreen locks up the shoe shop, Iris locks up the bookies, Maureen shuts the charity shop, they all pull the shutters down because if they don't some fucker will be sleeping in there, and Ethel puts her mop and bucket away for another day, everybody goes home leaving the spiceheads and homeless to roam about begging off of some poor fucker that just happens to accidentally be in Sheffield City Centre changing buses.
It's blistering stuff innit?

We could look at players earning £100k + a week, they still wouldn't come, because the place is a toilet.
All that same stuff happens in Manchester and Leeds
Every city has a Doreen etc etc. And every city has homeless people destitute for whatever reason
The equilibrium is that both these cities have regenerated with vision made astute sustainable business investment
These are the things Sheffield hadn’t done so we have stagnated and isolated ourselves from the 70s on

We sell all our best players the others don’t

Yes they do sell their best players ( Maybe City don’t ) but they then go and buy the next new model available we are looking further down that food chain when we sell our best players

Collectively known as The Darkside

Thanks for your response. Think you’ll find SCC do have some influence of Trams running, cost etc. Could be time to stop blaming a woman who died years ago for everything that is wrong with our great city.
That's the council providing a subsidy to reduce fares they cannot tell Stagecoach when to run trams.
To stop blaming Thatcher is like asking people to stop blaming Hitler for WW2.

All that same stuff happens in Manchester and Leeds
Every city has a Doreen etc etc. And every city has homeless people destitute for whatever reason
The equilibrium is that both these cities have regenerated with vision made astute sustainable business investment
These are the things Sheffield hadn’t done so we have stagnated and isolated ourselves from the 70s on

Yes they do all have a Doreen etc.
And so does New York, Tokyo, Paris, London, Moscow, Los Angeles and everywhere else.

It's when what Doreen and Ethel etc do that defines the City's entire economy it becomes a problem.

I still maintain my point, Sheffield has no City Centre whatsoever, it exists purely as a geographical location, nothing more.

There is nothing available on High Street, Fargate or the Moor that can't be found on South Road, Walkley, Crookes main thoroughfare or Fulwood Road in Broomhill

That's the council providing a subsidy to reduce fares they cannot tell Stagecoach when to run trams.
To stop blaming Thatcher is like asking people to stop blaming Hitler for WW2.
😂 that is a ridiculous comparison. So everything that goes wrong in Sheffield from now on is down to Thatcher? Brilliant

Have you thought about making a list of good things about Sheffield? It may be easier than you think, and be good for your mental health. Living your life in what you consider to be a toilet isn't a healthy place to be. After a lifetime of working in an office environment, 16 months of home based working either drove me nuts, or I tried to find some positives. I found some, and feel a whole lot better for it!!

I've lived in other places too, but I was born here, and sent back by my employer at the time who assumed I'd like to go back home, I wasn't that bothered to be honest, but I took the job. I did miss my family and some of my friends.

So, Nether Edge Hospital was one good thing, I was born there, it doesn't exist anymore of course.

Other good things include:
Errrmm, trees, no scrap that, ugly bleeding things.

Errrmm, countryside which isn't Sheffield really

Errrmm, Kelham Island, which is an industrial slum which hasn't been redeveloped at all, just a few pubs have sprung up selling real ale, which tastes of cabbage

Errrmm, Meadowhall, I know this is a contentious issue as most of Sheffield would have preferred to leave the pile of rat infested bricks from the steelworks to be laying there instead. But I think it's ok.

Leopard Square, good, doesn't sell real ale or bitter though, and is quite expensive, so is full of non Sheffielders

Ecclesall Road, good but dead at 11.00 at night, it has residents you know, and they need their sleep which is why they bought an apartment on one of Sheffields busiest drinking and eating streets.

The Arena, was good until Leeds built their Arena, and now it's been renamed the "Cry, bawl, squeal, How can we possibly compete, bawl, cry, squeal, whinge Arena", and will be derelict in 10 years, or less.

The airport, that was actually very good, extremely funny.

Sheffield Steelers, they're good, the most succesful ice hockey team in Britain, and might have some further success as long as British Ice Hockey players earn little more than minimum wage.

And that's about it me old China, can't think of owt else

During my 20s I had spells in Leeds, London and Manchester (amongst a few other places). Loved my time in each - even Burnley! All class places with unique character(s). And have absolutely loved being back home in sheff from early 30 onwards.

Might be a state of mind thing. Just try and squeeze as much adventure out of wherever you've landed. And plenty to get amongst in these parts 🙂

Last edited:
And that's about it me old China, can't think of owt else

Thank fuck for that. Reading the rest of your list was enough to make your eyes bleed.

I've no doubt you'll think of summet else, though. Perhaps the pigeons are too loud and the young people are too young for your liking.

Thank fuck for that. Reading the rest of your list was enough to make your eyes bleed.

I've no doubt you'll think of summet else, though. Perhaps the pigeons are too loud and the young people are too young for your liking.

No that's it, numptys dusty ruts asked me, and I told him what I think is good about Sheffield.

Back
Top Bottom