Player Suggestion Scott Twine

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The first Wilder PL season we spent big (unfortunately Wilder wasted most of it). Other than that we’ve spent far less than most of our rivals in the 40+ years I’ve been watching United - and the pitiful 7 seasons I’ve seen in the PL/old 1st Division is the result.
So you agree that it’s better to spend wisely than for the sake of it.

Spending simply because you can is irrational and potentially wasteful. We've been a classic example of this and I'd love to know why decisions were taken given the obvious question marks surrounding some players? Ultimately we'll have paid dearly for the poor decision making that might suggest that in appointing certain members of staff we've relied on untested 'mouthpieces' rather than securing the services of someone(s) who adopted a more considered approach in choosing playing staff whose skillset was appropriate for the division we happened to be in.

Easy to criticize I know, but there's little else any of us have other than to air our views, no matter how far off the mark they happen to be. Personally I've no problem with this if it's sincere and comes from a place that is heartfelt. Being wrong can be an occupational habit for some of us, but if you exist for no other reason than to be considered correct with no room for error, or the possibility that being wrong marks you out as unworthy of contributing to any conversation, then I feel for you. We learn from mistakes, at least that's my belief, so it's best to soldier on, listen, learn when it seems appropriate, and don't worry a great deal about the type of criticism that is sometimes a thinly disguised attempt to belittle or attack.

I've digressed a little but the fundamental truth applies. Study, have some understanding of what it is you believe to be true, and perhaps if you gain employment at a club such as United you might be able to make a positive difference to it's present and future.

The first Wilder PL season we spent big (unfortunately Wilder wasted most of it). Other than that we’ve spent far less than most of our rivals in the 40+ years I’ve been watching United - and the pitiful 7 seasons I’ve seen in the PL/old 1st Division is the result.
In the summer window of the 2nd Wilder PL season we spent over £50m and didn't sell anybody.

Spending simply because you can is irrational and potentially wasteful. We've been a classic example of this and I'd love to know why decisions were taken given the obvious question marks surrounding some players? Ultimately we'll have paid dearly for the poor decision making that might suggest that in appointing certain members of staff we've relied on untested 'mouthpieces' rather than securing the services of someone(s) who adopted a more considered approach in choosing playing staff whose skillset was appropriate for the division we happened to be in.

Easy to criticize I know, but there's little else any of us have other than to air our views, no matter how far off the mark they happen to be. Personally I've no problem with this if it's sincere and comes from a place that is heartfelt. Being wrong can be an occupational habit for some of us, but if you exist for no other reason than to be considered correct with no room for error, or the possibility that being wrong marks you out as unworthy of contributing to any conversation, then I feel for you. We learn from mistakes, at least that's my belief, so it's best to soldier on, listen, learn when it seems appropriate, and don't worry a great deal about the type of criticism that is sometimes a thinly disguised attempt to belittle or attack.

I've digressed a little but the fundamental truth applies. Study, have some understanding of what it is you believe to be true, and perhaps if you gain employment at a club such as United you might be able to make a positive difference to it's present and future.
Aye,
But I’d rather you’d highlighted the hazardous nature of opinion & decision making rather than (appearing to) endorse perpetual buffoonery?!?!?!?!

“Being wrong can be an occupational habit for some of us”
😉

A place in the (reshuffled) Cabinet surely awaits

So what are (some) folk saying - flog a International with 30 caps & (some- admittedly not very good ) Premier experience to gain a lad who’s never played above 3rd division level ?
Yep that's what selling clubs do. You identify the right potential buy it cheap then sell it on at a profit. Ask Brentford. However you need a very good scouting staff for this to work.

Clearly you dont do it with every player and they need to be brought into the right environment. We have the right environment, our midfield is aging and very experienced. A young up and coming player would be well looked after by the likes of Norwood and Fleck.

Tell me this would you rather bring the equivalent of a Twine in or bring someone like Hourihane back ?

Totally different ‘debate’
In an ideal world we’d do as you say, but….
Isn’t (wasn’t) Berge (only 24 himself) exactly what you see in Twine.- admittedly far more expensive but bought at a time we (apparently) had the brass to ‘invest’ - we ain’t going to recoup our outlay (yet?) but he’s (now) performing in our team / system (with Norwood & Fleck but thankfully not Hourihane)

I was commenting the (apparent) binary ‘choice’ (risk) of flogging a (now) ‘fully functioning’ Championship midfielder for unproven (even @ that level) potential.

Tell me would you rather have Twine or Berge ?

Me, I’ll stick with the ‘devil I know ‘+ your “equivalent” of Twine but for (a lot less) brass - possibly Coulibaly ?!?!

Yep that's what selling clubs do. You identify the right potential buy it cheap then sell it on at a profit. Ask Brentford. However you need a very good scouting staff for this to work.

Clearly you dont do it with every player and they need to be brought into the right environment. We have the right environment, our midfield is aging and very experienced. A young up and coming player would be well looked after by the likes of Norwood and Fleck.

Tell me this would you rather bring the equivalent of a Twine in or bring someone like Hourihane back ?
Ref my post above

Aye,
But I’d rather you’d highlighted the hazardous nature of opinion & decision making rather than (appearing to) endorse perpetual buffoonery?!?!?!?!

“Being wrong can be an occupational habit for some of us”
😉

A place in the (reshuffled) Cabinet surely awaits
Sorry if you interpreted my comments as an endorsement of what you refer to as buffoonery, but that never crossed my mind. Quite simply I pointed out the historical evidence of how, when there's been money to be shelled out, we generally seem to spend poorly. Of course we've bought some good 'uns, but the overall view, at least in my opinion, would suggest that due diligence was absent when it came recruitment.

All of which makes me wonder about the relevance of some board members. Is it a pre-requisite of board membership to contribute to recruitment budgets? Or does the general make-up of our board consist of those who lack the financial wherewithal to contribute to strengthening and improving our first team? Or, and this might be a more realistic view, does the Board comprise of friends/relatives of The Prince and thus we're solely dependent on a sole benefactor to subsidise recruitment?

Apologies
I was seeking ( & failing) to ‘take the water’ regarding what I’d (erroneously ?) assume was a typo - occupational habit or occupational hazard
For the record - I don’t disagree with owt you’ve ‘said’ (on this thread 😉)

Hopefully we can recruit better and younger than Hourihane

Apologies
I was seeking ( & failing) to ‘take the water’ regarding what I’d (erroneously ?) assume was a typo - occupational habit or occupational hazard
For the record - I don’t disagree with owt you’ve ‘said’ (on this thread 😉)
Alright mucker. Interesting turn of phrase you’ve got.

Don't know why there is uproar in not signing him if Brewster was fit and in league one he would have scored 40 goals

Available for 2.5million... Doing well this season for hull Fotmob rating of 7.18 could be a help going forward next season

Delap seems a bit of a donkey for me.
he's young but I dont think he'll ever be a top goalscorer, suppose that does make him a McBurnie replacement

Delap's a powerhouse who gets defenders on the back foot and runs with the ball. Wouldn't surprise me if his numbers improve very soon. I like the idea of him and Osula backing up Archer and McBurnie

From “Bristol Live”
City have been reluctant to meet Burnley’s £5m valuation of the Wiltshire-born midfielder, who still has two-and-a-half years remaining on his contract at Turf Moor, but this agreement gives them a chance to see how Twine adapts both to the club and Manning’s system, and vice versa.

The agreement does not include an option to buy……but there is a confidence that if the 24-year-old proves a success a more long-term resolution can be reached, albeit with the security such a clause would provide.

From “Bristol Live”
City have been reluctant to meet Burnley’s £5m valuation of the Wiltshire-born midfielder, who still has two-and-a-half years remaining on his contract at Turf Moor, but this agreement gives them a chance to see how Twine adapts both to the club and Manning’s system, and vice versa.

The agreement does not include an option to buy……but there is a confidence that if the 24-year-old proves a success a more long-term resolution can be reached, albeit with the security such a clause would provide.
Why does that read like it's been put through Google Translate?

Back
Top Bottom