Outgoing? SANDER BERGE ON WAY OUT ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yet we don't mind it if a team finishing 6th gets promotion at the expense of the team finishing 3rd due to a playoff system
Bit different to finishing top over a whole season and still not being assured of winning the league though isn't it?

Yet we don't mind it if a team finishing 6th gets promotion at the expense of the team finishing 3rd due to a playoff system
You cant compare the two completely different -

Have to agree, I can't think of a big game where he's been the major difference?
Hes a decent player but i do think he's very over rated by United fans with his height, transfer fee, ex champions league and being a international player. N'Diaye has better potential to play at a very high level.
Will anyone really come in for a player with Sander's recent injury history? I'm not saying he's prone, just unfortunate. But the fact remains
Got to agree mate. Reckon Sander's had 3 or 4 injuries here and all have been 'months out'

Hes a decent player but i do think he's very over rated by United fans with his height, transfer fee, ex champions league and being a international player. N'Diaye has better potential to play at a very high level.

Got to agree mate. Reckon Sander's had 3 or 4 injuries here and all have been 'months out'
It's always worth remembering that there are players from many footballing backwaters who can claim to have played in the Champions League having represented the most Tinpot of clubs.

It's like saying you lived in London as an experience. It doesn't mean you had an address at Mayfair or Knightsbridge!

Now Club Brugge have turned it on its head a bit this time around for a Belgium team, but on the whole Sander's CL experience isn't marked by anything more memorable than being told by Klopp he was 'an interesting player' as I'd imagine a young 6'5" player may well attract some attention.

He has started the season well with a goal contribution every other game and I'm encouraged by his performances before the break and it's a pity he's injured.

But as some sort of gold star, let's put the whole CL thing to bed, eh?

Sander has played 6 matches. Genk's record in those is 2-6 vs RB Salzberg, 0-0 v Napoli, Liverpool 1-4, Liverpool 1-2, RB Salzberg 1-4, Napoli 0-4.

P6 W0 D1 L5 F5 A20 Pts1

I just don't think, along with reference to his price tag, mentioning CL with him does the lad any service.

He's in our top three or four players I'd say. I think it is hard to make a case that he is head and shoulders above the others, Ahmedhodžić and N'Diaye for instance and there is an argument for influence Norwood is also up there.

One thing that needs putting to bed is "35m" - I hope to never read that again!

He won't be going anywhere in January because... 1) his stats have dried up 2) he's injured again and 3) as a result no one will bid over 12m

Best we can hope for is that he recovers and doesn't get injured again, then he might be able to help us hang on to 6th and lose in the play offs again

Hope I'm wrong, but injuries will probably wreck any hopes of better, if I'm allowed to say so ⚔️

Some big clubs might see 20m price reasonable for a little gamble even more as we are having long list of injuries that might be sign that it's not just Berge.

Other thing is are we willing to sell on that price or does Hecky or club value him more than that in big picture.

If we go up we definetly need more quality players and Berge seems to be one of the better ones in current squad.

The January we signed him, I believe we were also linked with Mady Camara, Florian Grillitsch and Adrien Tameze (may have been another?)

Berge was the most attractive option yet all 3 would likely have been better as well as cheaper than him !

The January we signed him, I believe we were also linked with Mady Camara, Florian Grillitsch and Adrien Tameze (may have been another?)

Berge was the most attractive option yet all 3 would likely have been better as well as cheaper than him !

I've never heard of those 3, do you know how they've all gotten on since Jan 20?

Camara seems to be impressing at Roma, which reminded me of the others too. Grillitsch has gone to Ajax and Tameze is at Verona and looks more suitable for the role we played Berge in. Not noticed any of them being injured for months at a time either

I would say Camara was the one, if any. Looks bob on for that RCM role

Berge’s injury history with us is really odd.

He signed in January 2020 and played 27 consecutive games, starting 24 and coming on as sub 3 times.

He then got a bad injury vs Man U in December 2020, His hamstring came away from the bone, I think. He missed 4 and a half months and 20 games, returning as a sub v Spurs in May and starting the next game v Palace. He was subbed against Palace and missed the last 3 games of the season.

He started the first 5 matches of last season. He got Covid on international duty and missed the Peterborough game, but came on as sub v Preston. He was to start against Hull but injured himself in the warm up - and missed the next 12 games.

He returned 10 weeks later as a sub v Bristol City, and either started or came on in 25 of the last 27 matches, and was an unused sub in the 2 games he missed.

This season he played in all of our first 12 games, and now he’s out for at least 10 games as far as we know.

So that’s

Played in 27
Missed 20
Played in 2
Missed 3
Played in 5
Missed 1
Played in 1
Missed 12
Played in/available for 35
Missed ?

Strikes me as an odd pattern. By and large he’s either fit for ages, or injured for ages. There’s hardly any middle ground.

I think it shows he's probably been pretty unlucky. His availability between injuries shows he's pretty robust and doesn't seem to pick up minor niggles (or he's fairly happy to play through them).

We could really do with him back on the pitch.

Recent results suggest we've missed him
hopefully recent injury reduces chance of Jan move
he could be difference of promotion or not this season

It's always worth remembering that there are players from many footballing backwaters who can claim to have played in the Champions League having represented the most Tinpot of clubs.

It's like saying you lived in London as an experience. It doesn't mean you had an address at Mayfair or Knightsbridge!

Now Club Brugge have turned it on its head a bit this time around for a Belgium team, but on the whole Sander's CL experience isn't marked by anything more memorable than being told by Klopp he was 'an interesting player' as I'd imagine a young 6'5" player may well attract some attention.

He has started the season well with a goal contribution every other game and I'm encouraged by his performances before the break and it's a pity he's injured.

But as some sort of gold star, let's put the whole CL thing to bed, eh?

Sander has played 6 matches. Genk's record in those is 2-6 vs RB Salzberg, 0-0 v Napoli, Liverpool 1-4, Liverpool 1-2, RB Salzberg 1-4, Napoli 0-4.

P6 W0 D1 L5 F5 A20 Pts1

I just don't think, along with reference to his price tag, mentioning CL with him does the lad any service.

He's in our top three or four players I'd say. I think it is hard to make a case that he is head and shoulders above the others, Ahmedhodžić and N'Diaye for instance and there is an argument for influence Norwood is also up there.
My thoughts exactly. We’re missing him though.

Should SB be sold I wonder how much of the transfer fee the manager will receive?

I think, to an extent, we got the answer in September with the release of funds for the Ismael Kone deal (£5-6m).
The rest would go to the club. I'd be surprised if we don't still owe a few quid on any of our big money PL signings, inc. Berge.

Back
Top Bottom