Outgoing? SANDER BERGE ON WAY OUT ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It’s business and a compromise, between a pushy agent, the player and SUFC’s needs.
I don’t know - a clear the air, cards on the table sort of thing. Not heard any rumours - just was thinking about the tweet above about Berge's agent being in Sheffield yesterday and having a meeting with the club.
Why would he visit Sheffield and sit down in a meeting if the figure was fixed and not flexible to some degree?
As soon as another club hits £35m he goes. End of. So, was simply wondering what they discussed and thought the agent may have got them to disclose the minimum they would accept - and SUFC making it clear, that if that figure was not met the agent and Berge would accept that, back down, and close the matter until January - Berge getting on with his job. Just kind of an off the record agreement between agent, club and player.
I think it makes sense for the agent to be around as a move was a distinct possibility. If a few bids had come in that were looking acceptable he may have been under instruction from Berge to say we'll consider Napoli, but you can tell Forest to fuck right off.

I was considering what the meltdown would have been like on here if Berge had been sold
you can imagine many of our fans throwing their toys out of the pram insisting we've now blown our promotion chances.

However although Berg is an important player for us I'd say MGW was for more influential last season and Ahmedhodzic is more influential this season.
This season regards our midfielders it wouldn't surprise me if Doyle ends up being more influential and more important to us than Berge.

Instead of declaring Berge as the next Zinedne Zidane thinks it's important to calm down and give a more balanced resume of his ability.

My view is that Berge has a bit of the Ollie Norwood's about him.
What I mean is, take the spotlight off him, give him time and space and he's a really good player, especially in home matches.
However like Norwood, close him down, put him under pressure (especially physically) and he tends to struggle., especially in away matches.
In fact for someone so big....he's not that physical, doesn't seem to win enough headers like you would expect and struggles to stamp his authority on a game.

Berge is what you would call "a nice player", when you watch him he's a lovely player, he's so god damn stylish. The total opposite of McBurnie.
When Berge runs with the ball, he's so smooth and kind of glides with the ball.
His stride pattern must be so big that it creates an optical illusion, Berge seems to jog past players who look like they're sprinting trying to keep up.
Where as McBurnie has a jerky untidy Steve Clarridge running style like he's permenently knackered and always running with pain.
Berge doesn't pass the ball, he seems to effortlessly "stroke" the ball in the direction of our player.
When McBurnie passes he never looks as though he fully knows what he's doing ha ha.

There's a bit of discrimination going on that slightly blurs opinions.
Berge has a nice smile, a great accent and comes across as a thoroughly decent man, someone you'd want your daughter to marry.
McBurnie tends to grimace, has this horrible common Leeds accent, looks like Cat Weasel, ask him to wear a suit and he still looks like he need a wash.
McB is the type a caring father would have some reservations if their daughter wanted to marry him.
During Berges spell at Sheff United he's had a few decent games, a few really good games but much of the time he's been average, sometimes poor
So for the 20+ million we paid he's not been an obvious success.

I'd say the factor with Berge is more about "potential", you can sense he could go on to become a top player.
Since we've moved him from defensive midfielder to playing more advanced encouraged to dribble and be more offensive he's looks a far better player
and I believe there's still plenty of improvement left for him to eventually establish himself as a really good Premier League player.

Last edited:
If united have turned down an approach from Chelsea even if it was only a loan to buy offer the club should be commended and Sander should as well because that could easily have turned into a difficult situation if a fuss had been kicked up.

Going on what Hecky said in his Press Conference (he seems certain that Sander will move beyond us at some point in the future) best case scenario, for me and presumably United and Sander, is Sander being bought by a PL club in January, but loaned back to us until the end of the season. Every one wins. Probably wishful thinking.

If united have turned down an approach from Chelsea even if it was only a loan to buy offer the club should be commended and Sander should as well because that could easily have turned into a difficult situation if a fuss had been kicked up.

He can rest assured that if they had bought him, it would have been with the intention of using him as a loan whore and getting him sent out to a multitude of clubs for numerous loan fees so that they ended up making a very tidy sum on a relatively low initial outlay. They are fkin chancers and cockney spivs. If he had gone to somewhere like Newcastle or a Brighton I could understand it more from his perspective as he would have a chance of getting in their teams and he would be going to play football there.

Going on what Hecky said in his Press Conference (he seems certain that Sander will move beyond us at some point in the future) best case scenario, for me and presumably United and Sander, is Sander being bought by a PL club in January, but loaned back to us until the end of the season. Every one wins. Probably wishful thinking.

Really is wishful thinking. No way a premier league club is dropping 30 million on a player then loaning him out straight away. They’d be buying him to use as part of their squad. He’s in his mid 20’s approaching his prime not 19.

There’s two scenarios that are best for us.

1 someone takes his release clause up early in January so we’ve all window for replace him and we get max money

2 were points clear in January and he sticks out the promotion push and signs a new deal as a prem player.

Maybe because through adapting to the English game, long injury spells and lazy performances he has not justified his £35m release clause YET.

We've see him at his worst but are currently seeing him vastly improved. Come January if he turns on and keeps the afterburners and keeps them on whist propelling us into a top two slot he Nat start to justify that price tag. But then his contract will be running down although he will have chance on PL footy with us if we get promoted.
Seeing him vastly improved is the key part of this post

He is improving but goes missing in games , especially away .

He needs to find a way of taking the game by the scruff of the neck and doing this consistently

People likening him to Tony Currie are right in one way - he glides around the pitch , but TC controlled and affected games over long periods - not for 40 percent of one game out of 4

Imo

I wouldn't really class myself as a fan boy although I do enjoy watching him play he has a lot still to develop in his game but I think like with most of the squad if fit and given a run of games he is a much better player than some give him credit for
To be fair, I’ve given him credit for being a good player from the back half of last season.

Maybe because through adapting to the English game, long injury spells and lazy performances he has not justified his £35m release clause YET.

We've see him at his worst but are currently seeing him vastly improved. Come January if he turns on and keeps the afterburners and keeps them on whist propelling us into a top two slot he Nat start to justify that price tag. But then his contract will be running down although he will have chance on PL footy with us if we get promoted.
At the risk of upsetting people again, he’s just not a £35m player, and he’s never going to be.

There’s zero chance of his release clause being triggered.

Right now he’s a really good player for us. The risk is we get a bid for half that at Christmas, and feel pressured to take it as his contract runs out.

At the risk of upsetting people again, he’s just not a £35m player, and he’s never going to be.

Right now he’s a really good player for us. The risk is we get a bid for half that at Christmas, and feel pressured to take it as his contract runs out.

Whether he’s a £35m player or not is irrelevant. The board need commending for not succumbing to cheap bids

We need Berge. Fk other clubs.

I don’t get why there’s a debate on here about the players worth? He has a figure on his head. Clubs either pay it or fk off

I’m just happy the player remains a blade and the board isn’t McCabe.

The board have either backed Hecky, and/or they think not selling Berge on what they think is on the cheap means the club can manage financially. Either way we should all be happy he’s still here

Gerrin

Whether he’s a £35m player or not is irrelevant. The board need commending for not succumbing to cheap bids

We need Berge. Fk other clubs.

I don’t get why there’s a debate on here about the players worth? He has a figure on his head. Clubs either pay it or fk off

I’m just happy the player remains a blade and the board isn’t McCabe.

The board have either backed Hecky, and/or they think not selling Berge on what they think is on the cheap means the club can manage financially. Either way we should all be happy he’s still here

Gerrin
There’s a debate about it because if you think he’s worth it, you think someone will offer it and there’s nothing that the club could do about it.

For me there’s no risk of it being offered, and we get to keep him as result.

It’s a very relevant talking point.

I think everyone’s happy he’s still here, so we can all agree in that one. 👍

I’m glad he is staying. With the inclusion of Doyle in the team does he become Hockey to Berge’s Currie? Yin and Yang, chalk and cheese, but both complementing each other. Will this pairing allow us to see the true Berge? I don’t know, but it might be fun watching.

I think part of any release clause has an inconvenience fee built in. You charge extra for giving up all control over the transfer.

Berge is a top class operator His technical ceiling is extremely high. You'll struggle to find ten players with his build in the world with his skill set.

His skills are transitioning with the ball from deep in midfield t. His press resistance, his driving offensive runs and his exceptional weight of pass. His balance for a huge guy is remarkable. He also crosses the ball very well and is excellent in passing interchanges (don't see these much now due to position change)

Our most important player in the last game was Berge. We were being stifled on the edge of our box and having to go long as Hendrick was nullifying our build up through Norwood as he took the ball from the defenders. Berge started to drop deep and take the ball off the centre backs and it was game over for Reading: they couldn't press him and he got through the line again and again. Norwood and Doyle then got the ball higher up the pitch in space and we killed them. If Berge is to leave, the "stop Norwood stop SUFC" needs a new option. Particularly when we have no pace in behind and teams can throw a blanket over us.

Does he have limitations.? Yes. The major one when he plays deep in midfield is his marking. He often lets people run off the back of him. His defensive brain isn't great. Everywhere else on the pitch the game is almost too easy for him. If he is to play higher up the pitch he can also shoot more. The Ndiaye goal vs Reading should've been a Berge shot before it reached him.

Any other issues are ones of mentality. He can coast a bit at times.Shun confrontation at times. Other times he looks like Yaya's long lost brother.

If he doesn't spend the majority of the rest of his career at a top European club he's let himself down.

There’s a debate about it because if you think he’s worth it, you think someone will offer it and there’s nothing that the club could do about it.

For me there’s no risk of it being offered, and we get to keep him as result.

It’s a very relevant talking point.

I think everyone’s happy he’s still here, so we can all agree in that one. 👍
Yes we can AB, but I’ll reiterate, well done board for sticking a £35m release clause on his head

Had they listened to those on here who think he’s worth a lot less, he’d be gone now

Well done PA for protecting the clubs assets and hopefully keeping the squad together to give Hecky the best possible opportunity to get out of this division

Yes we can AB, but I’ll reiterate, well done board for sticking a £35m release clause on his head

Had they listened to those on here who think he’s worth a lot less, he’d be gone now

Well done PA for protecting the clubs assets and hopefully keeping the squad together to give Hecky the best possible opportunity to get out of this division
Yes, well done to the board for not being guided by message board chat. 😂👍

In all seriousness, we paid £22m for him. A release clause was always going to be much higher than that.

But we should be praising the board for the transfer window as a whole - it’s been brilliant for us.

Hmmm you could look it that way I suppose, but to me that's just managing the assets in his own portfolio rather than actually improving the infrastructure in any way.

Improving the stadium, academy, training ground will see direct benefits that translate on to the pitch. So will keeping your best players though.
I personally think that it's very important the football club owns Bramall Lane. Even if it was bought back with the football club's money. Why was it taken from the football club is far more of an issue to me.

I was considering what the meltdown would have been like on here if Berge had been sold
you can imagine many of our fans throwing their toys out of the pram insisting we've now blown our promotion chances.

However although Berg is an important player for us I'd say MGW was for more influential last season and Ahmedhodzic is more influential this season.
This season regards our midfielders it wouldn't surprise me if Doyle ends up being more influential and more important to us than Berge.

Instead of declaring Berge as the next Zinedne Zidane thinks it's important to calm down and give a more balanced resume of his ability.

My view is that Berge has a bit of the Ollie Norwood's about him.
What I mean is, take the spotlight off him, give him time and space and he's a really good player, especially in home matches.
However like Norwood, close him down, put him under pressure (especially physically) and he tends to struggle., especially in away matches.
In fact for someone so big....he's not that physical, doesn't seem to win enough headers like you would expect and struggles to stamp his authority on a game.

Berge is what you would call "a nice player", when you watch him he's a lovely player, he's so god damn stylish. The total opposite of McBurnie.
When Berge runs with the ball, he's so smooth and kind of glides with the ball.
His stride pattern must be so big that it creates an optical illusion, Berge seems to jog past players who look like they're sprinting trying to keep up.
Where as McBurnie has a jerky untidy Steve Clarridge running style like he's permenently knackered and always running with pain.
Berge doesn't pass the ball, he seems to effortlessly "stroke" the ball in the direction of our player.
When McBurnie passes he never looks as though he fully knows what he's doing ha ha.

There's a bit of discrimination going on that slightly blurs opinions.
Berge has a nice smile, a great accent and comes across as a thoroughly decent man, someone you'd want your daughter to marry.
McBurnie tends to grimace, has this horrible common Leeds accent, looks like Cat Weasel, ask him to wear a suit and he still looks like he need a wash.
McB is the type a caring father would have some reservations if their daughter wanted to marry him.
During Berges spell at Sheff United he's had a few decent games, a few really good games but much of the time he's been average, sometimes poor
So for the 20+ million we paid he's not been an obvious success.

I'd say the factor with Berge is more about "potential", you can sense he could go on to become a top player.
Since we've moved him from defensive midfielder to playing more advanced encouraged to dribble and be more offensive he's looks a far better player
and I believe there's still plenty of improvement left for him to eventually establish himself as a really good Premier League player.
Aye and tbf I’d sooner not sell Norwood either.

Berge is a top class operator His technical ceiling is extremely high. You'll struggle to find ten players with his build in the world with his skill set.

His skills are transitioning with the ball from deep in midfield t. His press resistance, his driving offensive runs and his exceptional weight of pass. His balance for a huge guy is remarkable. He also crosses the ball very well and is excellent in passing interchanges (don't see these much now due to position change)

Our most important player in the last game was Berge. We were being stifled on the edge of our box and having to go long as Hendrick was nullifying our build up through Norwood as he took the ball from the defenders. Berge started to drop deep and take the ball off the centre backs and it was game over for Reading: they couldn't press him and he got through the line again and again. Norwood and Doyle then got the ball higher up the pitch in space and we killed them. If Berge is to leave, the "stop Norwood stop SUFC" needs a new option. Particularly when we have no pace in behind and teams can throw a blanket over us.

Does he have limitations.? Yes. The major one when he plays deep in midfield is his marking. He often lets people run off the back of him. His defensive brain isn't great. Everywhere else on the pitch the game is almost too easy for him. If he is to play higher up the pitch he can also shoot more. The Ndiaye goal vs Reading should've been a Berge shot before it reached him.

Any other issues are ones of mentality. He can coast a bit at times.Shun confrontation at times. Other times he looks like Yaya's long lost brother.

If he doesn't spend the majority of the rest of his career at a top European club he's let himself down.
The most grating of his weaknesses for me is his refusal to ever shift the ball onto his left side. He ends up slowing himself down and taking the long way round too often. It can lead to him being dispossessed when under pressure

I could accept the lack of aggression and defensive ability if he tidied up the last remaining technical elements

We (I) may have been a little premature about their short stay in the Champions League.

Following up on their impressive 1-0 home win vs Leverkusen, they've only gone and trounced Porto 4-0 in their own back yard.

Put themselves in an excellent position to qualify.

👏👏👏

Love that movie. Just watched it again recently.

Will Ferrell's cameo is just genius from start to finish!

Watched it in the lead-up to my wedding.
It'd been a stressful few weeks but that movie reminded me why we were doing it and flipped my mindset. Underrated. Vince Vaughan is brilliant from start to finish.
Big fan of 'Old School' too.

We (I) may have been a little premature about their short stay in the Champions League.

Following up on their impressive 1-0 home win vs Leverkusen, they've only gone and trounced Porto 4-0 in their own back yard.

Put themselves in an excellent position to qualify.
Cool, they may actually be able to use their winnings come back with an offer which isn't laughable and needs to be seriously considered.
I'll not hold my breath.

He's worth £200 million potentially

Keep him, we can go up

Sell him, we won't

Back
Top Bottom