Outgoing? Regan Slater

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tipped to join Hull permanently. Preston also interested.

I would try to get him to sign a new contract, let the new manager see what he thinks of him in preseason then either loan or keep as an initial squad player.
We are light on midfield players especially those that can tackle.

I think we should at least be waiting for the new manager.

When you consider the first few things in his intray will be notification Lundstram has seen out his contract and probably some degree of bidding for Berge.

Tipped to join Hull permanently. Preston also interested.
Is it a genuine tip or is it just a run on the comment him and his old man said about he’d be open to a return next season?
He’s on the wire as to if he’ll develop into what we need or not. He struggled to break into the Hull side, but once he did, in his preferred DCM role he did really well. He now needs to prove himself in the Championship, he’s 22 in a couple or months and going back to Hull will give him that chance.

At this stage in his career he needs to be playing regularly - he won't get that at Utd. Whether he'll develop into a decent Champ player (or better) remains to be seen. As there is still potential that he will, I'd be inclined to offer him extended terms rather than lose him for free (or v little compensation) and loan him to a lower Champ / top L1 club.

Reminds me of the Ben Whiteman situation.

Last edited:
Is it a genuine tip or is it just a run on the comment him and his old man said about he’d be open to a return next season?
He’s on the wire as to if he’ll develop into what we need or not. He struggled to break into the Hull side, but once he did, in his preferred DCM role he did really well. He now needs to prove himself in the Championship, he’s 22 in a couple or months and going back to Hull will give him that chance.
If Jokanovic's preference is for 4-2-3-1, then he must have a shout at one of the more deeper lying midfield roles.

It's not as if we have many DMs. You could have Osborn and Norwood or Fleck and Norwood but are there 2 genuinely deep lying players in there?

At this stage in his career he needs to be playing regularly - he won't get that at Utd. Whether he'll develop into a decent Champ player (or better) remains to be seen. As there is still potential that he will, I'd be inclined to offer him extended terms rather than lose him for free (or v little compensation) and loan him to a lower Champ / top L1 club.

Reminds me of the Ben Whiteman situation.
It reminds me a bit of the Ben Whiteman situation too, which makes me think we'd be daft to let him go without the new manager having a look. We're not exactly blessed in the midfield department.

If Jokanovic's preference is for 4-2-3-1, then he must have a shout at one of the more deeper lying midfield roles.

It's not as if we have many DMs. You could have Osborn and Norwood or Fleck and Norwood but are there 2 genuinely deep lying players in there?
Don't want to rake up old posts again but I think 4-2-3-1 is going to need quite the player churn and I guess we ignore that Berge is perfect for that as he's the most likely to not be here. (Who knows hopefully SJ says he has to stay along with the in demand talent and The Prince agrees to swallow the cost).

However, playing along with the most likely situation, he could play that position but I'd suggest Norwood is ahead of him which is why a year at Hull could help.
If we are going to play 2 deep lying players I'd really like us to look at Bielik if he's recovered from his surgery. Fleck isn't that player at all for me.
Osborn is just another Monty. Limited trier who will certainly have a role next season given his adaptability and will work his bollocks off, but you don't want him in a starting role.

Would be sad to see regan leave on a permanent as he was very highly rated coming through and seems to be on an upward trajectory.

I'm easy on him leaving, though I'd be disappointed to see him leave for nothing.

Just reminds me of a Reed or Whiteman. Will carve out a career in the game, but just not at the level we need to be (though which we will be at next season admittedly).

and if he is sold because he won't sign a new deal I'm sure we'd have a sell on option anyway should we want to bring him back.
My understanding of the clause, is that the player has no say in it.. if we take up that option then it extends his deal by 12 months. Regardless of whether he wanted it or not..

If we do intend on selling him then we exercise the clause and then sell.

My understanding of the clause, is that the player has no say in it.. if we take up that option then it extends his deal by 12 months. Regardless of whether he wanted it or not..

If we do intend on selling him then we exercise the clause and then sell.
I think you are mis-understanding me.
If we enforce the clause then we'll sell him because he'll be walking at the end of that year. I'd like us to offer him a new 3 or 4 year deal with a view that he still goes to Hull for next season before we make a decision around his longer term future with us.

If we enforce the clause then we'll sell him because he'll be walking at the end of that year. I'd like us to offer him a new 3 or 4 year deal with a view that he still goes to Hull for next season before we make a decision around his longer term future with us.
I don't think we have one player contracted until 2025. What have you seen from Slater that makes you think we should commit for that long?

I don't think we have one player contracted until 2025. What have you seen from Slater that makes you think we should commit for that long?
Brewster has until 2025 but It was a pluck out the air as our standard is always with a plus one, so 3 plus one didn’t seem long given he’s got a year left on his current deal. We’d have him until 2024 with an option for another year so he retains some value should he not make it for us in the next 2 years.
That would match the contracts for Rammers, Lowe, Bogle and Berge, who also expire in 2024, so it would also be consistent with the young players signed in the last year.

Brewster has until 2025 but It was a pluck out the air as our standard is always with a plus one, so 3 plus one didn’t seem long given he’s got a year left on his current deal. We’d have him until 2024 with an option for another year so he retains some value should he not make it for us in the next 2 years.
That would match the contracts for Rammers, Lowe, Bogle and Berge, who also expire in 2024, so it would also be consistent with the young players signed in the last year.
Berge has full international caps. Rammers and Brewster U21 caps.
What have you seen of Slater to make him deserve a 4 year deal?

Berge has full international caps. Rammers and Brewster U21 caps.
What have you seen of Slater to make him deserve a 4 year deal?
3 year deal.
He's finally established himself at a L1 club, would be going to the Championship for a season. At which point with no deal he could walk for nothing.
With a 3 year deal he would have 2 years left at the end of next season (3 with the extension should we wish to use it) which means we can ask a fair price from a Championship side should we move him on. He'd only be just turning 23 so lots of time to still make it with us depending where we are. We currently have a path as followed by RND whereby they prove themselves at each level before moving on. Slater has ticked the L2 and L1 boxes, he needs to move onto Championship now.
He'd be offered better than 2 years by moving.

Last edited:
What about the young lads coming through in the same position? Should Harrison Neal get a 5/6 year deal or Oli Arblaster 7/8 year deal to take them to the same age?

What about the young lads coming through in the same position? Should Harrison Neal get a 5/6 year deal or Oli Arblaster 7/8 year deal to take them to the same age?
Why would it be 7-8 years? They’ve not played a professional game so they're way behind where Slater is. Can’t see why we look beyond 3/4 for any of them, and are any of them actually expiring this year?
What would you offer Slater?

Last edited:
I've not seen enough of him to make a judgement. We've just been relegated and have some huge transfer fees to pay so some tough decisions will have to be made. He's 22 in a few months. I'd be surprised if 11 starts in League One would earn him a 3/4 year deal.

3 year deal.
He's finally established himself at a L1 club, would be going to the Championship for a season. At which point with no deal he could walk for nothing.
With a 3 year deal he would have 2 years left at the end of next season (3 with the extension should we wish to use it) which means we can ask a fair price from a Championship side should we move him on. He'd only be just turning 23 so lots of time to still make it with us depending where we are. We currently have a path as followed by RND whereby they prove themselves at each level before moving on. Slater has ticked the L2 and L1 boxes, he needs to move onto Championship now.
He'd be offered better than 2 years by moving.
I agree that he should get a new deal, but he can’t leave for nothing until he’s 24

I'd like to see him given a proper chance at least. Seems to have improved year-on-year with his loan spells and Championship clubs being interested, should be decent indication that he can fight with Norwood for a place (all things being equal).

I'd like to see him given a proper chance at least. Seems to have improved year-on-year with his loan spells and Championship clubs being interested, should be decent indication that he can fight with Norwood for a place (all things being equal).
Depends what the alternate options are I suppose. He's only played L1 level, so I think a season at Hull who are unlikely to be pushing top 6 would be excellent for his development. For us, I think we should be looking at a level above for next season while we have the payments, however if he shows he's ready in pre-season then why not.

If we have the option to extend his contract by 12 months we should do so then look to sell him if there is interest now, we will probably insert a sell on clause just in case he goes on to prove himself at a higher level.

He's not ready to be what we need right now, and at 21 going on 22 there are question marks over whether he ever will be. Norwood will be automatic first choice as a holding midfielder next season and is a very good Championship player, he could stick around and be back up which I wouldn't be against, but I expect the player himself would want to move rather than do that.

If we have the option to extend his contract by 12 months we should do so then look to sell him if there is interest now, we will probably insert a sell on clause just in case he goes on to prove himself at a higher level.

He's not ready to be what we need right now, and at 21 going on 22 there are question marks over whether he ever will be. Norwood will be automatic first choice as a holding midfielder next season and is a very good Championship player, he could stick around and be back up which I wouldn't be against, but I expect the player himself would want to move rather than do that.
22 is really young to write someone off, especially given that right now we don't know what league we'll be in, in 2-3 years time.
So far he's proven he can play a regular role at L2 and L1. The latter being a promotion season, so it's entirely logical for us to see what he can do at Championship level.

Norwood is not a holding midfield player
He cannot tackle
He cannot run
He watches and points

he needs someone like Slater alongside him to win the ball and protect

but for me I would look to get a player who can do both jobs

Back
Top Bottom