Referee

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

btw I think he had a shite game not because he was black but because he is a shite referee who guessed most decisions and was as weak as piss to a side who try to bully teams every game yet when we do the same the yellow card was straight out of his pocket, booking score Luton 0 SU 5 would suggest we were the physical team which is a mile away from the truth.

OK, I'll ask the same question of you that I asked someone else who mentioned the booking count - which of our yellow cards weren't yellow cards, and when should Luton have received yellows? Anel's was a cynical one to stop a break - yellow. Hamer's probably was just about, but he certainly did enough to get a yellow later in the game one way or another and was subbed off before he could have got sent off. Baldock's dissent was childish and he gives the ref no choice, Robinson's yellow would have been a red card at rugby. Norwood's I don't remember as I was done caring with the game at that point so maybe I give you that one, but I don't recall being annoyed at it at the time. Nor do I recall calling for a card on a Luton player at any point in the game.

So basically the game has tried to be simplified but by simplifying the laws of the game they've actually made it more difficult. League cup quarter final last week between Chelsea and Newcastle there was no VAR the ref had to actually ref the game and it was so much better. The game flowed the ref made the decision it was actually like watching a proper game of football.
I don't believe they have tried to simplify the laws but have tried to simplify the detection of contravention of those laws and FAILD ENORMOUSLY.

OK, I'll ask the same question of you that I asked someone else who mentioned the booking count - which of our yellow cards weren't yellow cards, and when should Luton have received yellows? Anel's was a cynical one to stop a break - yellow. Hamer's probably was just about, but he certainly did enough to get a yellow later in the game one way or another and was subbed off before he could have got sent off. Baldock's dissent was childish and he gives the ref no choice, Robinson's yellow would have been a red card at rugby. Norwood's I don't remember as I was done caring with the game at that point so maybe I give you that one, but I don't recall being annoyed at it at the time. Nor do I recall calling for a card on a Luton player at any point in the game.
Funny really but I am with you on this one I thought he had a decent game compared to the shite refs we usually get. Not perfect but ok .

I was’nt disputing that any of our yellow cards were not fair. I just thought that the ref let Luton players get away with repeated niggly persistent fouls that he did not give. Repeated fouls should = yellow cards. A stronger ref would have acted & certainly although I am not his biggest fan, I could sympathise with McBurnie yesterday as their centre backs got away with murder.

And,dare I say it,shitty little Luton. Interesting isn't it.....
Luton are this seasons little under dog darlings. Luton were well on top of the first 40 mins or so and I swear I could hear the commentator getting a little semi every time they made a good pass.

I'm probably just still pissed off and bitter but the ref fucked me off yesterday, as already been said, let Luton get away with a lot and don't get me started on gifting Luton a corner when they knocked it out of play. Although I'm not sure if it was his decision but VARing BOTH our goals looking for anything to disallow it but fuck looking for any foul play when someones got a handful of Robbos shirt when he put the header in.

Yesterdays loss was entirely United's fault, won't dispute that but bloody hell he didn't help.

For me he was behind play, seemed to guess a lot and didnt make any decisions in case he got them wrong, and relying on a not fit for purpose VAR for the big decisions. He did seem to be as bad as the worst referees we’ve had, if not worse, and it was definitely right for him to be called out on his performance. People were moaning about him throughout the match, it possibly looked different on the tv but all around us on the John Street there was a general consensus he didn’t have (a clue) the quality, on the current showing, to be up to premier league standard. He most certainly dropped lucky that he was reffing us and Luton, and not a Liverpool or Arsenal type club as his performance would have been put through a microscope and questioned by the respective managers, where as for us, or Luton, no one really cares. What I don’t get is the praise in some of the media for what was a poor display, if we reward poor performances with praise he’ll never know he needs to improve. The overall result may have been the same with a different ref but the constant unchallenged assaults on McBurnie, the award for the corner, the lack of decision making, the lack of yellow cards for Luton players constantly breaking up play by fouling, not being up with play, letting the foul on JLT for their second goal go, and generally not being physically fit enough to ref, most certainly didn’t help, and for which he most certainly doesn’t deserve praise from the media as he was booed off at the end, and had the crowd on his back throughout, I wouldn’t want him reffing us again without a lot more premier league games and experience under his belt.

It would be much fairer and more appropriate if the 20 refs selected for a PL weekend were drawn at random for each match (whilst barring them from reffing teams they support of course).

Near the end of yesterday's game a Luton player was quite obviously fouled by Baldock and Trusty when he was trying to shield the ball near the corner flag.

The ref gave a foul to us!

It was laughably absurd.

Why wasn't there a VAR on JLT being hauled down by his shirt for the OG? If he'd jumped as he meant to, he'd have cleared it.
Or you could look at it and say if Robinson had concentrated more on the flight of the ball than grappling with their player, he could have cleared the header? End of the day the ref did not cost us the game - we did it to ourselves and shouldn’t be looking for excuses

Or you could look at it and say if Robinson had concentrated more on the flight of the ball than grappling with their player, he could have cleared the header? End of the day the ref did not cost us the game - we did it to ourselves and shouldn’t be looking for excuses
He was jumping for it, based on it's flight, but hit it too low because was being pulled down.
We played rubbish and should have took control. This ref / var decision just added to the problems.

Should state for fairness and balance that the referee yesterday was pretty much excellent

Should state for fairness and balance that the referee yesterday was pretty much excellent
Agreed. One of the only referees this season that has been consistent in letting old man fouls play on and wasn't afraid to make big calls on the pitch. Bored of top tier teams having to roll around like dying ducks against plucky little united in order to get a result. Liverpool comes to mind when they came to the lane.

Seen a lot worse this season to be fair.

Got their pen decision spot on, can't complain about Brewsters red, their red was a definite second yellow. The Anel/Bowen coming together was spot on as well, Bowen committed a foul in the first place.

Think he let a lot ride to try and keep what was a great game flowing, other refs would have got whistle happy. Possibly another red in that game if truth be known, (Hamer was treading on thin ice) and one or two of theirs got away without a booking at all....

That said, I'm not convinced about our Penalty if I am being totally honest, if that goes against us we would not be happy...

It was never a penalty to us, mcburnie fouled their keeper and how he only initially gave a yellow for Brewster foul is proof that he made some bad decisions but his attitude to them cheating was good and should be applauded

It was never a penalty to us, mcburnie fouled their keeper and how he only initially gave a yellow for Brewster foul is proof that he made some bad decisions but his attitude to them cheating was good and should be applauded
McBurnie was facing away from the keeper! Also Zouma pushed him into the keeper initially...have another look

Our officials for this weekend. Note the VARs (there's two)
Sheffield United FC (First Team) v Brighton & Hove Albion FC (First Team)
FA Cup
Referee: Singh Gill, Sunny
Assistant Referee: Betts, Lee
Assistant Referee: Howson, Akil
Fourth Official: Linington, James
Video Assistant Referee: Salisbury, Michael
Video Assistant Referee: Bond, Darren
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Wood, Timothy

Bet he shit himself, when told he was off to Sheffield. Then realised it was BDTBL 👍🏻

I know the best refs are the ones that don't get noticed, but its important to praise them when they do well:

I'm sure that there are 20 decent referees in the country and I hope they make it to the top of the game ahead of those who aren't.

I'm still baffled by it.

There's no foul by their keeper, he got taken out by McBurnie if anything.

Never a penalty.

Wilder: 'Referee out of his depth... yet again we are a test case...'

Wilder - "We're always used as a test case for referees. Whenever a ref is being considered for the Premier League, they think, let's just give him the Sheff United game"

That's pretty much what I said at the start of the thread and people told me to stop whinging.

Guardian article from March and quote from referee below,the only reason I see that big games matter more is the backlash they are scared of if calls are wrong, there is no other reason except self interest , other clubs need to ask for equality and vote for it:

'Among the 19 referees who work predominantly in the Premier League, the best performers are appointed most often, and they are the ones who get the most sought-after matches, those between the top-six clubs, which officials call “golden games”.21 Mar 2023'

Back
Top Bottom