Referee

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think it's pretty telling we've got people saying he was fucking awful, but the biggest decision he got wrong was an incorrectly given corner.

No wrongly disallowed goals, no dodgy penalties given/not given, no sending offs for nothing, no bookings for things that should have been a straight red. Just a dodgy corner.

Er, not giving the penalty (or free kick) when McAttee was hauled down, he completely bottled that decision as Paul Robinson said.

With the corner, it wasn't just that he made the wrong decision, it was how and why. He was so far behind the play and didn't want to make a controversial decision with a free kick/no free kick so compromised and gave a corner.

I wasn't particularly impressed by him today - his decision making was questionable and he got quite a few calls wrong. He wasn't helped by his assistants on a couple of occasions when they were in better positions that him (no excuse for that with comms sets).

However, from an observer's perspective he got the KMIs (key match incidents) right including a good advantage for Utd's second goal (which would otherwise been a free kick on the edge of the box and not a penalty as some on here seem to think).

All of his discipline calls were right and consistent (all cautions were correct and justified).

His fitness was good and enabled his positioning to generally be ok.

Where I expect he'll be pulled up though was not adjusting his approach when the temperature of the game rose in the second half - he looked in danger of letting it get away from him. He needed to get hold of the game and didn't.

Not an easy game to make your Prem debut and he looked nervous in the first half and a little out of his depth in the second. I'm sure he'll improve but today I personally thought he was only worth 6/10.
If he played advantage for our second, why didn't he book the Luton player afterwards? I thought he just missed the foul (which as you say worked in our favour).

They var checked our scrambled goal for possible foul. But watching it back the only foul was them smashing macca into the back of the net.
Load of shit.

Why wasn't there a VAR on JLT being hauled down by his shirt for the OG? If he'd jumped as he meant to, he'd have cleared it.
I had a feeling today they were unlikely to over rule any on field decision unless it was absolutely nailed on.

It's a clear pull on the shirt that's forced his head into a different contact with the ball than expected.

Really hard to spot in real time but ISNT THIS WHAT VAR WAS FOR!?

If he played advantage for our second, why didn't he book the Luton player afterwards? I thought he just missed the foul (which as you say worked in our favour).
Fair shout CP and by the letter of the law he should have if he felt the challenge was reckless (which in my view it was). However, such incidents tend to be forgotten when a goal is scored. The other possible explanation (as has happened to me numerous times over the years) is that he wasn't sure who actually committed the foul as there were three Luton players challenging McAtee. He certainly wouldn't have wanted to get that wrong in his first game and of course VAR is unable to help the ref with cautions.

If the guy was white, you’d be pissed that he made mistakes and leave it at that. You wouldn’t dream of suggesting that he’d got promoted to the PL because of the colour of his skin. You’d just say he was shit. This suggests that in your mind, white refs can be shit without race being a factor. But a black guy being shit..? That means he was put into a place that he doesn’t belong. The only difference between this shit red and the white shit refs…? The white shit refs belong in the higher echelons of reffing and the black shit refs do not.

Do you not see why people are calling you (and others) out on this?
I can see that if the ref was white there would be no media hype that it was his first Premier league game it even made the national news FFS.

btw I think he had a shite game not because he was black but because he is a shite referee who guessed most decisions and was as weak as piss to a side who try to bully teams every game yet when we do the same the yellow card was straight out of his pocket, booking score Luton 0 SU 5 would suggest we were the physical team which is a mile away from the truth.

Fair shout CP and by the letter of the law he should have if he felt the challenge was reckless (which in my view it was). However, such incidents tend to be forgotten when a goal is scored. The other possible explanation (as has happened to me numerous times over the years) is that he wasn't sure who actually committed the foul as there were three Luton players challenging McAtee. He certainly wouldn't have wanted to get that wrong in his first game and of course VAR is unable to help the ref with cautions.

That's possible - although I didn't see him make the advantage gesture either. Anyway, it was definitely one that went in our favour.

I didn't notice any major difference in standard between yesterday's ref and the majority we've had this season which given his level of experience is a positive for him and a negative for the rest.

Thought the corner decision was a really bad error but I wonder if he was subconsciously compensating after thinking that was probably a foul.

I shall leave the petty squabbling to those that 'Fanfare or Decry' his skin colour.

IMO. He has obviously over-enjoyed tucking in at Christmas and is overweight, out of shape, slow in both movement and decision-making, couldn't keep up with play, biased - this time in favour of Andros Townsend/Luton, (actually thought Allison was gonna ejaculate whenever Townsend spoke to him!), most of the game he laboured about the pitch with a simpleton grin on his face..... He's ready-made for being a PGMOL 'Top Official'! and as such will be around for the long term :tumbleweed::eek:

I'm only glad that he wasn't called to 'view an incident' on screen, as, someone having to point out where the screen was, his 15 minutes to amble over to it and him asking "what happens now!", could have been just a tad embarrassing!!! :rolleyes:;)

Holding McBurnie? My 12yr old daughter could out muscle him. He spends half of his time thinking it's WWE and throwing himself about on the floor
thats modern football, they were holding him its indisputable to anyone that was there & have a set of working eyes, but then we were just as bad & on throwing themselves on the floor, its what almost every striker does when being held like most centre backs do. to get the referee attention, because most defenders will push it as far as they can get away with

Why wasn't there a VAR on JLT being hauled down by his shirt for the OG? If he'd jumped as he meant to, he'd have cleared it.
On TV it said it was VAR checked and you could see the Ref talking to VAR but it was that quick it didnt look checked at all properly. TV replay clearly showed the Luton player had top of JLT's shirt under his chin and as he tried to jump was held back so missed the ball. Pretty sure he doesnt get held he clears the ball.

Er, not giving the penalty (or free kick) when McAttee was hauled down, he completely bottled that decision as Paul Robinson said.

With the corner, it wasn't just that he made the wrong decision, it was how and why. He was so far behind the play and didn't want to make a controversial decision with a free kick/no free kick so compromised and gave a corner.
The corner was quite laughable. Baldock clearly got nowhere near the ball, and their player didn't even claim a corner. It was either a free kick or a goal kick.

Another example of how unfit the ref was, was how long it took for a free kick or corner to be taken once it was given, he was looking for all sorts of reasons to slow the game down, one free kick took about 2 and a half minutes once it was awarded which is incredible really and it wasn’t the only one. Anyone thinking that ref had a decent game clearly didn’t watch it or were absolutely slottoed.

I shall leave the petty squabbling to those that 'Fanfare or Decry' his skin colour.

IMO. He has obviously over-enjoyed tucking in at Christmas and is overweight, out of shape, slow in both movement and decision-making, couldn't keep up with play, biased - this time in favour of Andros Townsend/Luton, (actually thought Allison was gonna ejaculate whenever Townsend spoke to him!), most of the game he laboured about the pitch with a simpleton grin on his face..... He's ready-made for being a PGMOL 'Top Official'! and as such will be around for the long term :tumbleweed::eek:

I'm only glad that he wasn't called to 'view an incident' on screen, as, someone having to point out where the screen was, his 15 minutes to amble over to it and him asking "what happens now!", could have been just a tad embarrassing!!! :rolleyes:;)
You thought the ref was going to ejaculate.. but ha what an impostor he was. In the post match interview Hartson and the main interviewer were actually wanking while interviewing England's low grade super hero.

On TV it said it was VAR checked and you could see the Ref talking to VAR but it was that quick it didnt look checked at all properly. TV replay clearly showed the Luton player had top of JLT's shirt under his chin and as he tried to jump was held back so missed the ball. Pretty sure he doesnt get held he clears the ball.
1703675841810.png

It is only down to 2 things the Laws of the game with the understanding of them and the retrospective TV coverage. Based on the current Laws of the game. They have approx 12 laws with subsections to be thinking about in milliseconds making a decision instantly. With a screenshot or TV slow mo it is easy to say that, this should/could have been this or that. Any Law 12 Fouls start with words to the effect of the opinion of the referee so regardless if x happened if the referee thought y happened that is the case.

Not always justifying referees and their decisions but I would honestly like to firstly see people that criticise referees be able to quote the Law of the game that they are referring to and especially in most cases which decade they think it applies (many out of date) but secondly I would like to see people pick up a whistle and give it a go with your local Sunday league teams. See how different it is getting the angles that you get and what reports you get back. There will be the occasional incorrect decision but when you take your blades tinted specs off not every referee is against us. Any professional player should be able to least be able to hit a target that is 7 feet tall by 7 feet wide but how many times do we actually hit the target but it’s ok because “they gave it a go” if you were comparing the errors according to the stats we had 21 Shots with 6 on target if a referee made 15 obvious errors there would be mass riots sometimes the problem lies closer to home
So basically the game has tried to be simplified but by simplifying the laws of the game they've actually made it more difficult. League cup quarter final last week between Chelsea and Newcastle there was no VAR the ref had to actually ref the game and it was so much better. The game flowed the ref made the decision it was actually like watching a proper game of football.

So basically the game has tried to be simplified but by simplifying the laws of the game they've actually made it more difficult. League cup quarter final last week between Chelsea and Newcastle there was no VAR the ref had to actually ref the game and it was so much better. The game flowed the ref made the decision it was actually like watching a proper game of football.

They've simplified the game? When? The laws around offside and handball have massively increased in complexity.

Back
Top Bottom