Rearranged dates

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I've no idea but not sure games that are postponed are always rearranged sequentially in terms of order after postponements. Not sure there is any ruling around they have to be done in any kind of order? Maybe they should but it is not always done in such a way.

The cynic in me suggests that they will want to delay it till after the AFCON. I'd do the same if I was QPR. Same for any other games they have to fit in. People may say they should make them play in that period but they'll play devil's advocate and say why should they when there are lots of alternate dates later in the season. You can see it from there point of view. I'd be the same and want our strongest side.

Granted QPR called the first game and in am ideal world we would say its happening here and tough but unlikely they will agree. That's why as you say the EFL need to have more say on things like this.

I am not sure the EFL specify the dates at all. They just rubber stamp when clubs agree. It is down to clubs, policing, rivals fixtures. Maybe they should be more involved.

EFL will do nothing. They've proved that over the last few weeks.

People can moan about the clubs all they want but unless those that govern it get tougher on all aspects of this, teams will continue to play it. I'm just not convinced it's a specific avoid SUFC thing or screw SUFC thing.
There is a danger of having more postponed games this month and next month, it is understandable that we have been trying to re-arrange the three other outstanding games ASAP. QPR have already agreed a new date with Swansea (which was scheduled to play on December 18th- 5 days after we were scheduled to play QPR) and now QPR have only one outstanding game to re-schedule and that is against us. Looks like we wanted to play them on Jan 11th/12th or Feb 1st/2nd. The club have already made a complaint to the EFL

Its frustrating around the rearranged games but unless it's the end of the season I've never seen games rearranged quickly even pre Covid. Whether that is right I am not sure. Not sure why many of us expected that to be any different now?

QPR have now won back to back away games and are flying. Surely they would have postponed a few more recently if they were that bothered and have just played 2 in 4 days? I'm sure they'd like to play it ASAP the away run they are on. Are they that bothered about a team in 13th?

I get the African Nations may cause them to wait if it can't happen in the next few weeks but we'd surely do the same if it was us? The EFL could step in but they won't. It's down to the two clubs to arrange a date so if Utd are desperate for a date during the African Nations then they approach the EFL. However that would look like United are trying to manipulate a situation too so we are no better (as original game they nay have had some of these players- granted others would have been missing). I understand QPR of course cancelled so we should be the ones who suggest dates with us at home too but if QPR refuse to agree to certain dates then not sure anything happens unless the EFL step in.

I'm not sure all these teams are swerving out of playing mid table and a very rusty SUFC though. Do people really think that?

We seem to have quite an inflated opinion of ourselves! Fulham, Swansea,Reading, Preston and Luton have missed a similar number. All in different league positions.

Sure some teams may want to wait in terms of re-arranged games but if I was those clubs I'd do the same with the amount of covid around. I'm sure that is true of all those teams re-arranging. Playing another game in an already packed next few weeks when covid is at its peak could cause further issues for us too in terms of catching it.

I agree the governance from the EFL is weak and many of these games should have taken place. I'm not debating that. It's led to a situation where clubs are annihilating things but not sure this is directly down to playing us?

The postponements has led to the number that needs to be rearranged but a game taking part in say 3 weeks or 3 months matters little really aside from the QPR thing which looks like we would be trying to manometer ourselves in a position of strength if we insisted on playing it when they had 3 out.

A lot saying we should just play it next week it week after but due to lgistics (police/staffing) that's unlikely. Games that are rearranged rarely are sorted within a week or so. I'd expect a few others to be sorted in the next week or so maybe.

There will be so many to fit in, most teams will be playing Sat-Tues/Weds for last 7 or 8 weeks anyway.

Maybe I'd be more annoyed if this was jeopardising a promotion/relegation season but we are mid table with loads of teams between us and the playoffs and nearly double figure gap in points. Playoffs are a possibility but more unlikely than likely on what we have seen all season.

This conspiracy theory that the whole League and teams are against mid table Sheff Utd is almost comical and makes us look a bit pathetic. I know this may not be an opinion shared by most on here and this post may be criticised.

It's shit we've had games off and we have been hit more than most but 1-2 others have a similar amount to rearrange and 5-6 others only one fewer.

I agree the EFL have made a mess of this with no accountability or proper leadership but I do find the 'It's all to stop SUFC' a bit pathetic to be honest when there are clubs all over hit as hard or nearly as hard.

Tin hat on!
Exactly 100% spot on.

With one caveat. We played QPR on the 13th of December and so there's been plenty of time to arrange this fixture. Even if they picked a date in Feb. This one is the most frustrating one I reckon.

There is a danger of having more postponed games this month and next month, it is understandable that we have been trying to re-arrange the three other outstanding games ASAP. QPR have already agreed a new date with Swansea (which was scheduled to play on December 18th- 5 days after we were scheduled to play QPR) and now QPR have only one outstanding game to re-schedule and that is against us. Looks like we wanted to play them on Jan 11th/12th or Feb 1st/2nd. The club have already made a complaint to the EFL

The rearranged date is 25th Jan for QPR v Swansea so slap bang in the middle if the African Nations...9th Jan to 6th Feb which is odd as does not fit the narrative others, including myself have said about them waiting.

Where have you read about the club complaint?

The rearranged date is 25th Jan for QPR v Swansea so slap bang in the middle if the African Nations...
Bet there's going to be another nasty outbreak of covid in the Shepherds Bush area on the 24th of Jan.

I thought we have already done that but we are expected to

The rearranged date is 25th Jan for QPR v Swansea so slap bang in the middle if the African Nations...9th Jan to 6th Feb which is odd as does not fit the narrative others, including myself have said about them waiting.
How do you know that we have not tried for Jan 25th? Were we slower than Swansea when we came to suggest Jan 25th? Remember we were supposed to play QPR on Dec 13th and QPR were supposed to play Swansea on Dec 18th

Maybe they think Swansea is an easier game with players missing than playing us. The suggestion that we should bend over backwards and do everything to the convenience of other teams is a bit of a strange one to me. These clubs need holding to account.

Totally agree with the above comment. Why wouldn't we try & manipulate a game in our favour at any time.

I think there are 9 available midweeks between now and the end of the season with 3 to re-arrange. So it's not a crisis unless we get a couple more off which would make life difficult 15 other teams within 2 games of us as well

Hopefully we can pull a match in against Hull or Boro or even both with these two dates.
Let QPR play the bear and keep the match until later in the season .
It looks like they will be in the shake up for the play offs be nice to stuff em when it will really hurts.

QPR are apparently citing injuries and lack of squad depth as a reason and saying that playing too many games in a short period is bad for the players they do have available. It’s bollocks but that’s apparently their line.

Nice, pleasant little London club though
Everything must be done to help them fiddle their way out of a problem

On the bright side we haven't had a proper pre season for 2 years so hopefully the break will give the coaching staff a chance to work with the squad and get players fit and up to speed

Its frustrating around the rearranged games but unless it's the end of the season I've never seen games rearranged quickly even pre Covid. Whether that is right I am not sure. Not sure why many of us expected that to be any different now?

QPR have now won back to back away games and are flying. Surely they would have postponed a few more recently if they were that bothered and have just played 2 in 4 days? I'm sure they'd like to play it ASAP the away run they are on. Are they that bothered about a team in 13th?

I get the African Nations may cause them to wait if it can't happen in the next few weeks but we'd surely do the same if it was us? The EFL could step in but they won't. It's down to the two clubs to arrange a date so if Utd are desperate for a date during the African Nations then they approach the EFL. However that would look like United are trying to manipulate a situation too so we are no better (as original game they nay have had some of these players- granted others would have been missing). I understand QPR of course cancelled so we should be the ones who suggest dates with us at home too but if QPR refuse to agree to certain dates then not sure anything happens unless the EFL step in.

I'm not sure all these teams are swerving out of playing mid table and a very rusty SUFC though. Do people really think that?

We seem to have quite an inflated opinion of ourselves! Fulham, Swansea,Reading, Preston and Luton have missed a similar number. All in different league positions.

Sure some teams may want to wait in terms of re-arranged games but if I was those clubs I'd do the same with the amount of covid around. I'm sure that is true of all those teams re-arranging. Playing another game in an already packed next few weeks when covid is at its peak could cause further issues for us too in terms of catching it.

I agree the governance from the EFL is weak and many of these games should have taken place. I'm not debating that. It's led to a situation where clubs are annihilating things but not sure this is directly down to playing us?

The postponements has led to the number that needs to be rearranged but a game taking part in say 3 weeks or 3 months matters little really aside from the QPR thing which looks like we would be trying to manometer ourselves in a position of strength if we insisted on playing it when they had 3 out.

A lot saying we should just play it next week it week after but due to lgistics (police/staffing) that's unlikely. Games that are rearranged rarely are sorted within a week or so. I'd expect a few others to be sorted in the next week or so maybe.

There will be so many to fit in, most teams will be playing Sat-Tues/Weds for last 7 or 8 weeks anyway.

Maybe I'd be more annoyed if this was jeopardising a promotion/relegation season but we are mid table with loads of teams between us and the playoffs and nearly double figure gap in points. Playoffs are a possibility but more unlikely than likely on what we have seen all season.

This conspiracy theory that the whole League and teams are against mid table Sheff Utd is almost comical and makes us look a bit pathetic. I know this may not be an opinion shared by most on here and this post may be criticised.

It's shit we've had games off and we have been hit more than most but 1-2 others have a similar amount to rearrange and 5-6 others only one fewer.

I agree the EFL have made a mess of this with no accountability or proper leadership but I do find the 'It's all to stop SUFC' a bit pathetic to be honest when there are clubs all over hit as hard or nearly as hard.

Tin hat on!

I fully agree, I said as much other day the thought that teams are cancelling games because its us is hilarious.

I fully agree, I said as much other day the thought that teams are cancelling games because its us is hilarious.

Seems a lot genuinely think teams are doing it because it's us or the EFL are screwing us over.

Twitter is full of these conspiracists! Lots saying we should have the three points etc but they've not done it for any other fixture affected by covid so why would they now?

I agree the EFL have made a mess of it all but that's for lots of clubs. It's not just us. I noticed there are a few others played once in about 3 weeks too.

Four on the spin.
I thought we had won 3 on the spin at the time we were due to play them - Reading, Bristol and Cardiff.

The QPR game would have come before the Fulham game.

But yes, now they are dodging 4 on the spin. Though are we still spinning after so long off?! 😂

Seems a lot genuinely think teams are doing it because it's us or the EFL are screwing us over.

Twitter is full of these conspiracists! Lots saying we should have the three points etc but they've not done it for any other fixture affected by covid so why would they now?

I agree the EFL have made a mess of it all but that's for lots of clubs. It's not just us. I noticed there are a few others played once in about 3 weeks too.
Interesting that Barca had multiple cases but La Liga just said "on you go, you have a youth team and a B team."

Barca won in the end!

There is a very easy solution: have one or two extra weeks reserved for teams to catch up outstanding games. Resume the normal program afterwards. There is absolutely no reason for anybody to have any complaints with this resolution.

It's annoying, and disappointing that there's been no football over Christmas. Getting back for midweek games is a pain in the ar5e for me, so the cancelled weekend games are annoying. As is Wilder bottling his return.

However, have a look at the table and there's lots of teams on 22 and 23 games. It's really not a crisis yet. A cup run, prolonged bad weather, or our own COVID outbreak and it will be, but it isn't yet

Swansea is an easier game, QPR want the fittest and most complete squad to play us and you can’t blame them, but to rearrange a game against a team that they should have played after us stinks IMO.

People need to remember that the championship is that crazy - Wins against Hull, Preston and Middlesbrough (not impossible to think) would have left us only 5 points off an automatic promotion place with 21 games still to be played. We are the harder game. QPR know this.

The EFL have got a couple of weeks to figure all this out and somehow make it harder to call games off without good proof, and make the rescheduling quicker and ideally more sympathetic to the clubs who are less at ‘fault’.

They won’t of course; it’ll just coast along until if and when it becomes a real problem with fixture backlogs, when they’ll panic and force everyone to play regardless, while talking about abandoning the season or finishing it using points per game.

That said, we just need to “gerron wi it”. There’s only three games to fit in so far, lots of midweeks to go at, and there’s a long way to go before we end up with the 2-3 games a week schedule of project restart… or a 90s/00s Blades team during good cup runs, come to that.

Interesting this now as sounds like we have a lot out...up to 10-11 now and if we had rearranged QPR or Hull for next mid week which some wanted (seemed to be feeling get them in quicker rather than later) would people still have been comfortable playing? We could have ended up far weaker than QPR even though a lot wanted it in whilst they had a few at the AFCON.

Just playing devil's advocate. That's why I was q bit surprised loads wanted the games in this month when omicron swirling round so much. We had experienced fewer cases and were likely to get more this month you'd think?

I think many teams will want to wait till cases come down before rearranging more.

The problem is we could have more postponed in the interim of course. Maybe we could have put them in and called off like others did if we met the ahem 'criteria' for postponements. We'd have been as bad as the rest though but I still blame the EFL/EPL not the clubs. The FA Cup went ahead fine today as no such rules on postponements.

It was not as simple as get them all in though.

I've seen lots of other teams have still not arranged many. I wonder if clubs are just waiting it out for a bit?

FA Cup 4th round is on the weekend of February 5th. Most of the division will be out by the Monday night, and the AFCON finishes on the Sunday.

Whether teams are using delaying tactics because of January transfer, AFCON or general fixture congestion isn't really up for debate because they are clear no rules on rearrangements. It's easy to be outraged but postponements aren't usually rearranged quickly in 'normal' times.

We're already playing 5 times in February, with only the midweek slot 15th/16th available.

March could be very busy as there are two available slots + 4 scheduled games, but this might work in our favour as there's an international break after March 19th which would come as a good time for a rest (apart from those called up).

If Wolves knock The Blades out of FA Cup tomorrow then Saturday 5th of Feb will be blank as the POSH boys from Peterborough will be in 4th round action that weekend. Not playing Utd in league now after beating Bristol Rovers in FA Cup and the MW Pigs are away that Saturday @ Burton.

I've got United down as playing Birmingham away on 5th February. If we lose to Wolves and Birmingham beat Plymouth (0-0 as I type), we'll have no game. We can't fix a game up v QPR or Middlesborough who are both in the 4th round. However, this date would seem an ideal time to reschedule the Hull home game (if they lose to Everton - 2-1 down as I type). Owls are at Burton that day so no issue there.

If Wolves knock The Blades out of FA Cup tomorrow then Saturday 5th of Feb will be blank as the POSH boys from Peterborough will be in 4th round action that weekend. Not playing Utd in league now after beating Bristol Rovers in FA Cup and the MW Pigs are away that Saturday @ Burton.
Away to Brum on 5th February

Interesting this now as sounds like we have a lot out...up to 10-11 now and if we had rearranged QPR or Hull for next mid week which some wanted (seemed to be feeling get them in quicker rather than later) would people still have been comfortable playing? We could have ended up far weaker than QPR even though a lot wanted it in whilst they had a few at the AFCON.

Just playing devil's advocate. That's why I was q bit surprised loads wanted the games in this month when omicron swirling round so much. We had experienced fewer cases and were likely to get more this month you'd think?

I think many teams will want to wait till cases come down before rearranging more.

The problem is we could have more postponed in the interim of course. Maybe we could have put them in and called off like others did if we met the ahem 'criteria' for postponements. We'd have been as bad as the rest though but I still blame the EFL/EPL not the clubs. The FA Cup went ahead fine today as no such rules on postponements.

It was not as simple as get them all in though.

I've seen lots of other teams have still not arranged many. I wonder if clubs are just waiting it out for a bit?
How do you know we were slower than Swansea in agreeing the re-arranged game with QPR for Jan 25th? Our scheduled game against QPR was supposed to be on Dec 13th and QPR's scheduled game against Swansea was on 18th Dec.

Back
Top Bottom