R.E.S.P.E.C.T - H.E.C.K.Y (P)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

brownblade

Reaction score
So a poll on this site currently has 90% of fans wanting a new manager.
(Sadly) I'm one of them now, after a truly miserable match against Bournemouth.

I do wish I didn't see so much disrespect thrown at Heckingbottom. He kind of "saved" us from disaster by getting us promoted last season. Which wasn't as easy as some people make out, by the way - many managers wouldn't have succeeded but the chemistry worked with Hecky. He also seems a good guy.

We can ask for a new manager without personally insulting the man (who almost got us promoted from a lowly league position, then did get us promoted).

E.g. Time for change, not "get the **** gone" etc.

This isn't a thread about his mistakes, team performances etc - merely about respect and everybody acting like an adult.

I agree with you and just posted similar on another thread. I think it's time for a change and want it to come now because it would still aloow Hecky to leave with respect and a thanks for turning us around after Jokanovic and getting us up.

But I think if we continue to put in completely uncompetitve performances like Saturdays (which has been a common theme this season). It will start to get ugly.

Agree. Thanks for steadying the ship etc but it is time for a change, he’s not the right man or team to lead us next season. A change now won’t keep us up but hopefully with a new manager and coaching team we’ll see an improvement, some positive play and maybe build up a bit of momentum and confidence to carry into next season.

I do wish I didn't see so much disrespect thrown at Heckingbottom. He kind of "saved" us from disaster by getting us promoted last season. Which wasn't as easy as some people make out, by the way - many managers wouldn't have succeeded but the chemistry worked with Hecky. He also seems a good guy.

We can ask for a new manager without personally insulting the man (who almost got us promoted from a lowly league position, then did get us promoted).

This isn't a thread about his mistakes, team performances etc - merely about respect and everybody acting like an adult.
Correct mate, I'm not one for wanting managers out normally but I do now, however I don't find it in anyway necessary to abuse the man. Sack him , pay him off handsomely due to giving him a 5 year deal , and politely say thanks for you're efforts hecky but you've definitely gone above you're level of management now.

Agree, but anger and frustration are clouding a lot of people. A lot of that is because of the lack of any direction from the very top.

Completely agree with the sentiment. The challenge would be whether or not the board can come up with any sort of plan, robust enough to attract a capable new manager. Such a plan would need to detail how parachute payments are to be used to replace the dead wood that we gave new contracts to, last summer, as well as others who are deep into the process of proving themselves not good enough for the top flight.

The absence of such a plan, plus the likelihood of CV ruining results between now and our relegation might make for a pretty threadbare candidate list.

That's not to say we shouldn't do it, just have the plan ready and sound out a few candidates rather than jump blindly into the unknown.

Correct mate, I'm not one for wanting managers out normally but I do now, however I don't find it in anyway necessary to abuse the man. Sack him , pay him off handsomely due to giving him a 5 year deal , and politely say thanks for you're efforts hecky but you've definitely gone above you're level of management now.

Society talks about kicking out racism, respect and treat and women equally, welcome gay rights etc.
Think alot of it is window dressing, a box ticking exercise.

Why not deal with the root cause?
Why not have a campaign stressing the need to show respect, treating fellow human being with empathy and consideration.
Warnocks personality was like marmite but you can't deny he gave us some great occasions.
Hecky is a solid bloke and deserves massive credit for saving us from financial melt down.
For me Wilder deserves the biggest praise and should never have to buy a drink in Sheffield again.
Our rise from the bottom of league 1 to 6th place in the Premier League with lower division/ average players is a modern day miracle.
It's the only time in my 50 years supporting United that we could be playing Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd away and I felt confident we could win.

I see disrespectful comments on social media all the time....it's almost normal. It's kind of perverse that you can freely abuse people in several ways and it's fine as long as it's not racism/ sexism etc. Surely the message should be "stop all abuse".

Last edited:
Agree (shock) I have sympathy with Heck ,but nothing but anger for the wanker holding the club to ransom , just sell and fuck off.
Unbelievably I agree.

But we can only piss with the cock we've got, so with no buyer forthcoming it has to be a case of Hecky going for now.

Plus, he's clearly not good enough vs his peers at this level, so even if we were to get promoted again he'd need replacing. And I'm not sure how he'd cope in the Championship recycling Wilder's tactics with a new bunch of players without adding a mercurial talent (MGW, Ndiaye) at the top end of the pitch. I don't think he's particularly good tactically or in-game.

Brilliant bloke, acted with plenty of grace and decorum and held the club together last year. I'd like him to go before it gets a bit nasty because he doesn't deserve that.

I'll always have respect for him for how he's professionally gone about his job with everything that's gone on above him. There's a genuine shout to say that he saved the club from administration too.

I actually want him to leave more so because he doesn't really deserve the shit that's coming his way that's only going to get worse. Yes, we are underperforming but we've been set up to fail by the owner. It was inevitable that Heckingbottom wouldn't last season from the moment Ndiaye left and whilst a new manager might get us playing better, it's highly unlikely it's going to change the outcome of the season. The club is only heading one way while ever this owner is here.

One of the reasons I want him to go now, is because I don't want to it to get much worse and then it possibly starts getting nasty from some sections of supporters. The writing seems to be on the wall, so it'd be better if he just went and kept in tact the good times to remember.

I thought the same with Wilder in 20/21 too and that dragged on and look at how divisive of a subject that is now.

I'll always have respect for him for how he's professionally gone about his job with everything that's gone on above him. There's a genuine shout to say that he saved the club from administration too.

I actually want him to leave more so because he doesn't really deserve the shit that's coming his way that's only going to get worse. Yes, we are underperforming but we've been set up to fail by the owner. It was inevitable that Heckingbottom wouldn't last season from the moment Ndiaye left and whilst a new manager might get us playing better, it's highly unlikely it's going to change the outcome of the season. The club is only heading one way while ever this owner is here.
My thoughts too.

Roy how are the fans of the other relegation foder clubs reacting to their managers ?

I get what you’re saying, but last season the owner risked everything to give us a chance of promotion. Anyone else, including all previous owners would have sold the crown jewels last January.
Only the manager is responsible for us being worse than Luton this season. I’m pretty sure we’ve had similar budgets to spend. Getting a new owner is far riskier than replacing the manager.

My thoughts too.

Roy how are the fans of the other relegation foder clubs reacting to their managers ?

Burnley have picked up in terms of performances so Kompany seems to have slightly turned a corner there in the opinion of their fans. Everton don't like Dyche but they don't like anything. Luton love Edwards

I have respect for Hecky and I was on the fence about whether we needed a change. Some aspects of this start I still think are not his fault. A lot of us saw the writing on the wall with the poor transfer window, the lateness of the signings. Signing players late who had no preseason training all meant it was feared we were going to start on the backfoot and may not recover.
However the lack of a plan in games, the lack of attacking threat, getting the ball forward too slowly and when we do get it forward having too few players in the box. The ease at which teams run through us, conceding 20 plus shots per game.
Saturday was just incipid. Out fought, out thought. We just looked like a team devoid of leadership and ideas.
I think we do need a change, though I doubt Pep Guardiola would get a consistent tune out of this squad. I just fear the simple truth is the squad is just not good enough.
I thank Hecky for what he has done but perhaps its time for a new voice.

I get what you’re saying, but last season the owner risked everything to give us a chance of promotion. Anyone else, including all previous owners would have sold the crown jewels last January.
Only the manager is responsible for us being worse than Luton this season. I’m pretty sure we’ve had similar budgets to spend. Getting a new owner is far riskier than replacing the manager.

Obviously it depends who you believe but I don't think the owner refused bids at all last season. It seems like Ndiaye turned Everton down and nobody came in for Berge. There's a reason he was left out at Wrexham and it's because we wanted to cash in on him. It's just nobody offered us anything

I agree the manager has underperformed quite spectacularly but unlike Edwards, Hecky lost his two best players on the eve of the season and had to build a new team on the go. He's failed massively with this but I'd argue he wasn't on a level playing field with Edwards. We lost 3 pivotal players (with Doyle) and somehow managed to end up with a weaker team than the one that got promoted.

I hope Hecky goes before it turns really ugly, something he definitely does not deserve. I don't see where Hecky is getting any help or support from the Prince or his own management team, who the hell thought it was a good idea to employ Stuart McCall and then a defensive coach who destroyed a Cardiff team in six months before they had to get rid.

Won 49 drawn 18 lost 30 ,ok he is having a bad patch , without the tools to do the job .Wilder got nearly a full season to turn it round , before fucking off out the back door .

Burnley have picked up in terms of performances so Kompany seems to have slightly turned a corner there in the opinion of their fans. Everton don't like Dyche but they don't like anything. Luton love Edwards
Nero fiddling as Rome burns. Since they won (somewhat fortuituously on the stats) at Luton, Burnley's results are:

Burnley 1-4 Chelsea
Brentford 3-0 Burnley
Bournemouth 2-1 Burnley
Everton 3-0 Burnley (EFL cup)
Burnley 0-2 Crystal Palace
Arsenal 3-1 Burnley
Burnley 1-2 West Ham

7 defeats on the spin. Their all time league record is 8 so we can do our part to get them to that. They've also lost all 7 home matches this season and have, somehow, conceded more than we have at home. They might beat us because we're awful but they're really no better and if anything Kompany is showing more than a bit of naivety.

Nero fiddling as Rome burns. Since they won (somewhat fortuituously on the stats) at Luton, Burnley's results are:

Burnley 1-4 Chelsea
Brentford 3-0 Burnley
Bournemouth 2-1 Burnley
Arsenal 3-1 Burnley
Burnley 1-2 West Ham

7 defeats on the spin. Their all time league record is 8 so we can do our part to get them to that. They've also lost all 7 home matches this season and have, somehow, conceded more than we have at home. They might beat us because we're awful but they're really no better and if anything Kompany is showing more than a bit of naivety.

Yeah the results have been terrible but the fans have been encouraged by their last two performances. Type Berge into Twitter if you dare. They love him

I have changed my tune as well, i felt Hecky was shafted, and he was .. and done incredible job to get to a semi final and promotion, however
its just not good enough the lack of passion, fight.... the bottom half is pretty shit this year and if we were half way decent we would have a right chance of staying up... unfortunately the players dont seem up for it ... buck stops at Hecky - i would like it if he is kept on and hada hole in developing players in the under age set up... comes a cross as a nice guy , but not good enough.

100% mate

As you said he saved us but we also saved him. After being sacked from Hibs I don’t think he’d have been high on the list for most League one clubs never mind championship.

If he was to leave us now I think his stock remains fairly high , club owners will be aware he had his hands tied with our finances and did a good job up until this season.

Maybe previous owners would have sold some player (s) to keep us out of the embargo but at the same time that would have allowed free transfer deals etc.

We have to go back to 2020 since we last beat Bournemouth. The TEAM performance wasn't acceptable yesterday, yes we looked lacking in direction but are we simply just out of our depth with the squad we have got or is it more than that. Hecky has adopted a system that was migrated down through ages groups so will be in built in the DNA of a lot of the academy players coming through. However the players out there looked lost and off the pace, recent history suggests Bournemouth are a decent side the clean sheeted and beat Newcastle at home this season and their target would have probably been closer to midtable than relegation zone going into this season. Personally I think we are doing what is exactly expected of this "write-off" season. People moan about the PL with VAR, moving fixture times, FFP "corruption" etc etc but we keep wanting the side to be performing in this league. As a set of fans we can be some of the most realistic and disillusioned at the same time unless we get a billionaire owner or more clubs get -20 (and some) points deducted for FFP breaches we will do what most thought which is have the odd run of "hope" and get relegated

Absolutely. He does need to go, but the way he's been set up to fail by the club he should be taking them to a tribunal for constructive dismissal.

I don't think he’ll be sacked, because the Prince is more concerned with the financial consequences of doing so, than the club being associated with a new low Premier League, points tally.

Why should he care, he’s off asap.

I was always of the opinion that Hecky had been let down by the clubs lack of investment and we were doomed to fail. As I’ve said previously, I’m not really bothered about the Premier League, but the very least, the absolute bare minimum, I would expect, is that if we go down, we go down fighting? That performance on Saturday was one of the worst I’ve seen, worse than Newcastle. no energy, no movement, no passion and no interest.

We’ve got no one up top to aim for, McBurnies fit, so why did he wait until half time to bring him on? Same with Ahmehodizic, Baldock ten times the player Bogle is and he and McBurnie should have gone straight in the starting line up.

Fucks sake, I sometimes think Hecky eyes are painted on 😤

Last edited:

Burnley 1-4 Chelsea
Brentford 3-0 Burnley
Bournemouth 2-1 Burnley
Arsenal 3-1 Burnley
Burnley 1-2 West Ham

Might beat us?
Lost all 7 home games and we're the opposition?

Back
Top Bottom