Probably an unpopular opinion

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ReeceofBDTBL

Reaction score
But the fixtures coming out Thursday is another reminder of my disdain for this ludicrous argument that somehow the championship is better than the prem.

My first 12 years as a blade (1994-2006) we were division 1/championship and I absolutely hated that we played in that league.

I’ll go so far as to say the 12 years where we had 6 years in league 1 were more enjoyable than that first 12 year block following the mid 90s.

Playing the likes of Preston, brum, Blackpool, Millwall is absolutely worthless, makes no difference to playing in league one other than it being one league closer to the one that matters.

Yeah the prem isn’t perfect, doesn’t have to be compared to the championship and league one which both blend in to the same forgettably piss pot poor procession of mediocrity.

I hate this league, always have done, we spend way too much time in it and getting promoted is all that matters.

I like the championship and usually watch it over EPL games when I have no allegiance with any team playing. But that is because I watch football because of the excitement more than the skill level.
I would not mock or try and change your opinion. One of the great things about games is that you can watch it on different levels.

I prefer the the championship. Unpredictable, tight, games and high intensity. The prem is corrupt on so
many levels. Also the Fa cup is shit when in the prem, nobody cares if you draw a big team as you recently played them or about to play them in the league anyway. Edit- i guess why you posted it in the unpopular opinions thread haha

It is better than the Premier League.

No-one is saying it's higher quality.

So what do I mean by 'better'? Less predictable, more tactically diverse, more entertaining, more authebtic, more intense in the right ways (the matches themselves, also the condensed fixture schedule), less intense in the right ways (better media coverage, nowhere near as many plastic fans being outraged by agendas against their club), more interesting/traditional grounds...

Any league where the only achievement is to get out of it is nothing but forgettable mediocrity. Most blades fans have had a lifetime of it, so every year we spend in this league is more worthless than the last.

I’ll always follow every single game but Christ I hate the lack of success, I think it’s been made worse by the fact we got a tiny taste of it with wilder and thought we were finally going to get ‘our time’ in the sun as it were.

The only thing exceptional about this club is the amazing support it gets in return for the most pitiful crums of success. 100 years without a trophy and to get going on for 30,000 fans in for the championship is phenomenal. Imagine if the club ever actually did something

The dilemma that confronts those of us who long to see the Blades play regularly in the Prem is that we're aware of our financial shortcomings but still hope that from out of nowhere a benefactor might appear who can provide the financial muscle we so clearly lack. Wishful thinking I admit, but we've been engaged in the same cycle of relegation followed by promotion etc, for as long as I can recall.

It's this that has contributed to an air of despondency, or possibly healthy cynicism, amongst the senior breed of Blade. Not a lot that can be done to change this I admit, but from somewhere we've managed to create a resilience that has seen our fanbase grow (and for those who question this, I ask you to recall the heady days when our home crowds would barely hit the heights of 13-15K).

I think that one of the most significant factors that contributed to our current crowd numbers began when Chris Wilder became manager of this club. I know this is a statement of the obvious, but for approximately 4 years the optimism that surrounded this club was almost palpable. Sadly it couldn't be sustained, but it showed what was possible with good (albeit temporary) management backed up with a forward thinking (I say this with some hesitancy) board. What the present and future holds for this club is beyond the imaginations of most of us. What I do hope is that from somewhere we manage to find a management team (possibly our current manager?) and ambitious and resourced board who can deliver the dream of regular Prem football.

Any league where the only achievement is to get out of it is nothing but forgettable mediocrity. Most blades fans have had a lifetime of it, so every year we spend in this league is more worthless than the last.

I’ll always follow every single game but Christ I hate the lack of success, I think it’s been made worse by the fact we got a tiny taste of it with wilder and thought we were finally going to get ‘our time’ in the sun as it were.

The only thing exceptional about this club is the amazing support it gets in return for the most pitiful crums of success. 100 years without a trophy and to get going on for 30,000 fans in for the championship is phenomenal. Imagine if the club ever actually did something
Basham arriving ,Bounce slayer ,Oh my God goal ,all from the championship ,cant call that forgettable mediocrity.

Basham arriving ,Bounce slayer ,Oh my God goal ,all from the championship ,cant call that forgettable mediocrity.
All amazing memories, but compare that to the high points for other clubs of our size…

We’ve gotta be the biggest club to have never played in Europe, never mind not getting to a cup final for going on 90 years

The modern prem is shit in a lot of ways but the longer united are out of the tv money loop with transfer flops cutting a hole in the budget the more likely league one is.

Yeh the champ is more unpredictable and open but I'd rather see united have lower reaches prem stability for a stretch a la palace than fluffing the playoffs in this league or the one below.

It is better than the Premier League.

No-one is saying it's higher quality.

So what do I mean by 'better'? Less predictable, more tactically diverse, more entertaining, more authebtic, more intense in the right ways (the matches themselves, also the condensed fixture schedule), less intense in the right ways (better media coverage, nowhere near as many plastic fans being outraged by agendas against their club), more interesting/traditional grounds...
Less foreign nobodies on social media having an opinion about which they know very little...

The dilemma that confronts those of us who long to see the Blades play regularly in the Prem is that we're aware of our financial shortcomings but still hope that from out of nowhere a benefactor might appear who can provide the financial muscle we so clearly lack. Wishful thinking I admit, but we've been engaged in the same cycle of relegation followed by promotion etc, for as long as I can recall.

It's this that has contributed to an air of despondency, or possibly healthy cynicism, amongst the senior breed of Blade. Not a lot that can be done to change this I admit, but from somewhere we've managed to create a resilience that has seen our fanbase grow (and for those who question this, I ask you to recall the heady days when our home crowds would barely hit the heights of 13-15K).

I think that one of the most significant factors that contributed to our current crowd numbers began when Chris Wilder became manager of this club. I know this is a statement of the obvious, but for approximately 4 years the optimism that surrounded this club was almost palpable. Sadly it couldn't be sustained, but it showed what was possible with good (albeit temporary) management backed up with a forward thinking (I say this with some hesitancy) board. What the present and future holds for this club is beyond the imaginations of most of us. What I do hope is that from somewhere we manage to find a management team (possibly our current manager?) and ambitious and resourced board who can deliver the dream of regular Prem football.
I agree with this. Having followed the Blades for over 60 years there have been real high moments but too many low ones. Even during the Wilder years many fans said that the levels we reached were exceptional and were just expecting the bubble to burst some time which of course it did. I thing the older fans have just rolled with the punches and can remember some highs even when we were in the botton division! The teams have been consistently inconsistent but one thing seems to have remained the same and that is our approach to buying and selling. We are perceived as a selling club that has sold many good players who have gone on to better things and not replaced by similar quality. Even now we seem to have no financial legacy from 4 successful years and the biggest purchases over the last few years have proved to be so disappointing in what they have delivered to the club. Even now the transfer window is open we seem to be waiting for Berge to be sold before we will actually buy someone. I mean, the faux outrage by the club and local reporters at what the Norwegian manager said about Berge being too good for the Championship and should move is laughable whilst the club itself appear to be making noises to invite offers under what we really want as long as we get a few million more than we paid for him. This is the kind of thing that happened with Jones, Birchenall, Currie, Deane and Fjortoft. It is in the Blades DNA and that is why fans are not what I call despondent but just resigned to the reality of being a Blade.

One thing that I notice in the Championship is that, whenever I see an opposition player and think "who??", they invariably get the winner about five minutes later.

Pales racial abuse, throwing flares and kidney punching disabled orphans into insignificance - give this Blade an immediate stadium ban NOW!

Give me the championship every day of the week. Imaging your entire footballs club existence is based around the objective of trying to finish 17th every single season. Depressing.

That relegation season was the single most depressing year watching United I’ve ever experienced. The supporters of every single championship side are supporters because they love their club. We don’t get Mohammed the life long Wycombe fan from Sylhet very often commenting on every fucking contentious decision after a game on the socials.

I’d rather watch United play a barnstormer against the likes of Luton than get bummed by the likes of Crystal fucking Palace every bastard week. When you have a good season (I.e. our promotion season) it’s amazing, but it’s the journey that’s the enjoyable bit. It’s a bit like going on a lads holiday. You’re driving to the coast in a limo full of strippers & ale… but you’re going to Hull. The drive is quality - the actual holiday is like being put in a concentration camp.

I totally get where you're coming from but if success is the main measure of purpose and enjoyment then 90% of clubs should pack up altogether.

Plenty of clubs who consider themselves bigger (I hate that term but let's go with it for these purposes) than Sheffield United aren't anywhere near 1 top flight title and 4 FA Cups. Fine, they happened so long ago they may as well haven't happened. But they did happen. So we're not just saying it's about success, we're saying it's about success during your specific lifetime, or success relevant in a way you consider relevant.

Practically every club who has ever won anything is either an overachiever or underachiever. Most clubs go through changes and end up being both.

Qué sera.

for me they have their pros & cons. its great to be championship winning most weeks & being challenging for titles or going to wembley & the premier league money is huge, but outside the big teams at home which are fantastic occasions the other games playing Wolves, Burnley, Palace, Southampton Brighton, Bournemouth, Norwich, Villa, Watford arent much difference to playing in the championship

In the champ we can realistically hope for some excitement, some dominance. Prem? Whipping boys, grind out what we can, ultimate relegation.

Learn to like the champ pal, it's going to continue to play a big part in our future history

For a club of our size and resources and from an interest and entertainment point of view, upper Championship/lower Prem is probably the best place to be. If you're at the top end of the Champ you're challenging for auto promotion or in the hunt for a play-off spot, if you're in the lower Prem you're either in a relegation scrap or have the opportunity to bloody a few big boys' noses. There's very rarely any meaningless games.
We're never going to establish ourselves at the top of the Premier League without a Man City style takeover (and that really doesn't appeal) and I can't think of anything worse than a Southampton style existence where the extent of ambition is mid-table mediocrity.
Of course the risk is that you might drop out of the upper reaches of the Championship and spend a few seasons in League 1 and whilst novel at first, the fun soon disappears if you find yourselves entering the 4th season at that level with no sense of progression. The biggest danger is that you might drop further and end up in a position akin to Bradford City (God forbid).
I'm fairly content with where we are - there's plenty of excitement and drama, and the odd outlier seasons like 2018/19 and 2019/20 are a fun ride while they last.

Give me the championship every day of the week. Imaging your entire footballs club existence is based around the objective of trying to finish 17th every single season. Depressing.

I get your point but teams don't aim for 17th, they try to finish as high as they can, 17th is the minimum requirement just like it was for us.

I enjoy the Championship more, but would prefer us to be in the Premier League. Part of why I dislike the Premier League is the cheating, diving and obscene money that’s floating around there. That said, I still think if you can’t beat them, join ‘em and it’d be better for the club and city if we were there.

Championship is more competitive but better? Far from it. Playing in half empty grounds with no atmosphere proves that point

The thing I love about the Championship is how any team can go on a run and get in the playoffs or promoted. Majority of the squads have players of similar quality which allows for this and makes the game more about their effectiveness as a team (like us after being promoted from league 1) rather than individuals.

It's about the most unpredictable league around in general.

We all know who the favorites are for promotion and relegation, but it never ends up quite like that.

Whereas the PL we already know that it will be City, Liverpool or possibly one of Chelsea or Spurs to win the league. It won't be any of the others.
The top 6 or 7 are very similar each year too, with the odd team finishing in there.

Relegation will be a pick from about 9 or 10 teams.

It's about the most unpredictable league around in general.

We all know who the favorites are for promotion and relegation, but it never ends up quite like that.

Whereas the PL we already know that it will be City, Liverpool or possibly one of Chelsea or Spurs to win the league. It won't be any of the others.
The top 6 or 7 are very similar each year too, with the odd team finishing in there.

Relegation will be a pick from about 9 or 10 teams.
I know they have conte but spurs will do well to finish in top 2

What can a club this size possibly achieve to have the success though. We won't in another 100 years win a single trophy other than a first place promotion. The money these days has the winners of everything already set in stone

The cheating and diving about and time wasting and all the other cynical bollocks is equally as bad in the Championship and throughout the football league. There was some right shit at the Lane last season.

Give me United in the Premier League over United in the Championship any day. The atmosphere is better, the games are better, the players are better. VAR is wank but thats down to the refs who lets be honest most are only in the Prem because they’re a bit less wank than the refs in the Championship.

Shouldnt let it bother me anyway, were destined to be distinctly average, bar a few outlier seasons, for the rest of my lifetime anyway.

Back
Top Bottom