The ultimate unpopular opinion: We shouldn't be too upset after tonight

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FMBlade1

Reaction score
Aston Villa are class, and have £30 million players in pretty much each position, including a goalkeeper who won the World Cup in the same team as Messi.

We tried to take the game to them and were picked off and punished. We were tactically naive, and it was silly playing Holgate instead of Robinson, though we probably would have lost no-matter what we did.

I remember a discussion at the start of the season I had on here saying we are not a premiership team, in name only, and that is the case. Look how Leicester thrashed Stoke in the championship today, Leicester are a premiership team etc.

We are a mid-championship team. I don't think the players didn't try and there was some good stuff at times. They didn't deserve for fans to walk out early on them.

If the players aren't good enough that's not their fault, and Wilder really can't really do much with them to make them continuously compete at this level and we have improved since he's returned (coming from someone who didn't want him back).

As for the Prince, well he gets hate for the players we sold. If we didn't sell them we still probably would have gone down and lost them both on a free. He should have dropped his asking price but that bridge has sailed.

The recruitment has been dreadful, but again I understand taking punts as we don't have the funds for proven players.

So all in all, as I said at the start of the season, 12 points is the aim and anything above that is a bonus and hopefully we won't be embarrassed most weeks.

I've felt embarrassed after some games watching us- tonight was not one of them.

The direction of these two clubs though since Wilder’s first season in the EPL when they stayed up on the last day of the season….and we finished 9th..

True, the recruitment since then by us was pretty much rubbish, compare that to Villa when they got Watkins and Luiz et al so things change.

We can't go back on the past, looking at the here and now, looking at the two teams its unlikely any of ours would even get on their bench, so I'm not surprised about tonight.

Aston Villa are class, and have £30 million players in pretty much each position, including a goalkeeper who won the World Cup in the same team as Messi.

We tried to take the game to them and were picked off and punished. We were tactically naive, and it was silly playing Holgate instead of Robinson, though we probably would have lost no-matter what we did.

I remember a discussion at the start of the season I had on here saying we are not a premiership team, in name only, and that is the case. Look how Leicester thrashed Stoke in the championship today, Leicester are a premiership team etc.

We are a mid-championship team. I don't think the players didn't try and there was some good stuff at times. They didn't deserve for fans to walk out early on them.

If the players aren't good enough that's not their fault, and Wilder really can't really do much with them to make them continuously compete at this level and we have improved since he's returned (coming from someone who didn't want him back).

As for the Prince, well he gets hate for the players we sold. If we didn't sell them we still probably would have gone down and lost them both on a free. He should have dropped his asking price but that bridge has sailed.

The recruitment has been dreadful, but again I understand taking punts as we don't have the funds for proven players.

So all in all, as I said at the start of the season, 12 points is the aim and anything above that is a bonus and hopefully we won't be embarrassed most weeks.

I've felt embarrassed after some games watching us- tonight was not one of them.
Well I'm sorry but to find anything, anything to be cheerful about after that showing is beyond me.
That alleged car park protest was not needed, The empty seats told their own story. The sorry sight of season ticket holders leaving after 23 minutes was unforgettable.
No plan , no flair, no energy. a shambles. Their centre backs could have put on a Dinner Jacket each and still had a good game.
We should sue the Club for Misrepresentation. That was not a Match. It was not ever resembling a Match.. I am sorry to say it again but the Buck stops at the top. The owner, ,formerly known as the Prince, is the man responsible

Problem is we have been embarrassed pretty much every week we've played.

Jesus Fucking Christ
Everything that is wrong with this club is epitomised by the OP.

An acceptance of that shyte is all too common amongst our piss poor, halfwit support.
No wonder the club does fuck all. It doesn't have to

That Tielemans goal was something out of the shit sunday league team cookbook. They had a corner and he was left free, had a free shot which led to another corner...guess what, he is left free again! Are our players doing this on purpose?!

Jesus Fucking Christ

An acceptance of that shyte is all too common amongst our piss poor, halfwit support.

I've been criticizing the club's recruitment strategy for years on here, I could bump those threads up in a snarky way but what good would it do?

We've made some serious mistakes in the past which we are paying for today, I'm sure we are learning from them (i.e. look at the Archer deal rather than how we paid for Brewster)

Jesus Fucking Christ

I agree, I'd rather everyone be apocalyptic about everything rather than being balanced and nuanced

If the o/p thinks the players were trying then you were watching a different game to me. As soon as the first goal went in they gave up. No one was marking anyone. No one was closing anyone down. No one was putting in tackles as they were 4 yards away from the nearest player.

My lad went to get a drink after the 4th goal went in. He returned three minutes later and we hadn't touched the ball during that period.

In the last ten minutes of the first half we literally touched the ball twice, one of them was it rebounding off Norrington-Davies out for a Villa throw.

Villa didn't even have to try it was that easy for them. If they wanted to score a fifth they could've anytime they wanted to as they were all in acres of space under no pressure. They were just toying with us. It was a school exercise in how to retain possession without having to try.

It was an utter embarrassment.

I left at half time as there was no point staying to watch more of the same. Wilder and the players should all be fined for that.

I feel sorry for Brereton-Diaz, the only player who was putting in any effort. It reminded me of when Andy Reid came on loan for one month and played like a captain, trying to lead a rudderless ship.

You could be right pal at least it has shown Wilder up to be the busted flush many said he was after Boro and Watford.

The defensive naievity tonight was embarrassing. The lack of self-assessment, assuming you can take the game to the best counter attacking team in the league with a CM of an immobile Souza and a kid who's proven defending is by far the weaker side of his game as Brooks was embarrassing. The lack of basic understanding on how to defend basic actions was embarrassing. The players looked surprised when Villa marauded into the space afforded to them.

We literally stopped them attacking 6 weeks ago by dentlying them spaces to counter into.

I understand your point, it's an unforgiving league. But tonight was abject surrender from the moment the team sheet was submitted

Last edited:
Saw this coming really. Just hope our fans think of a different hobby until the end of the season and not want to do something stupid like organising car park protests....

Crazy how this was only 4 years ago - Villa hang on and then turn themselves into a top team in the following seasons

IMG_0495.jpeg

Jesus Fucking Christ

So it’s down to the supporters

this games was going to be the game that relegated us & yes it was irritating. but these games were always going to happen 4 quality goals & they were clinical. but i was saying pre match the points we've dropped since xmas period, we should be at worst on 17pts & yet we are stuck on 10pts,
  • we shouldve held on spurs
  • we didnt turn up for the 1st 15 mins of everton, cost 2pts
  • we shouldve held on Villa
  • luton was when i was furious because thats the game that cost us,
  • then west ham you are on top as much as we are you have to take 3pts
  • Crystal Palace we were fantastic but defensive organisation cost us & most team would take 3pts from that
but i have sympathy with the prince, because i dont know who that takes over can compete because prince is trying to run football in how it should be but money is just mad now, chelsea are asking 50m for the 3rd choice striker, plymouth wanted 15m for there player which i wouldve laughed at, nobody is breaking even. everton deducted pts they were losing more than £3m a month every month for 3 years. clubs are complaining that the level is too low & it should be lifted to losing to 170m-200m, what owner can afford to lose 60m a year.

The direction of these two clubs though since Wilder’s first season in the EPL when they stayed up on the last day of the season….and we finished 9th..
...and Villa would not have stayed up that season had it not been for their luck in Hawkeye inexplicably failing to confirm a clear goal for the Blades after the Villa keeper had carried the ball miles over the line, and VAR even more inexplicably not being used to check the goal. As it was poor Bournemouth got relegated instead of Villa.

And having billionaire owners who cheat FFP like villa have done. If we had the same transfer budget villa have had we would probably be doing quite well.

As I've said on another thread, unfortunately not so sure about that as our recruitment has been dreadful with what money we did have.

With that said other clubs can afford the odd £20 million flop, with Brewster we couldn't and were relying on him to score at least 10 goals a season

Back
Top Bottom