Match Thread Preston North End v. Sheffield United - 18th January 2022

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

PRES
PRES
PRES

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1642513717251.png V. 1642513723504.png
Championship Week 24 - Tuesday 18th January 2022 - 19:45 - Deepdale

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/preston-north-end-vs-sheffield-united.575/

Officials:

Referee: David Webb
Assistant Referee: Robert Merchant
Assistant Referee: Nick Greenhalgh
Fourth Official: Oliver Langford

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

📺
Live TV Coverage:

1642513703858.png

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

The cocky fuckers got exactly what they deserved.

The energy levels second half were appalling. Strolling around as if they were walking the fucking dog, casually lazy passes backwards to nothing just to keep possession.

They should have been running Preston into the fucking ground yet I don't think we made them even work to make up for the extra man.

Brewster is far too casual in his shooting. He should have got both of those on target where he shot over and wide. He was the man furthest forward, does he open his eyes at all?

How you end up with an extra man, can't stop a cross and then have three defenders not track one runner is just beyond me.

Extremely unprofessional. The attitude of those losers is still there. Look at Fulham. Go for the jugular. Us. Turn up second half as if the job is done. Disgraceful from the players.

I'd be pissed that we've dropped points in a rearranged game against one of the COVID cowards, thinking we would have won but you don't get a better chance than to see out a half when you're a man and two goals to the good.

I understand Hecks refusal to use Burke, he's shit.

But that game was prime for him tonight. He would've had ample room and time to run with the ball against a 10 man side. It'd have least pinned Preston further back.

Sharp was blowing out of his arse and he was left on the pitch.

Berge brought on to do what exactly? He is nesh and totally unsuitable against a side like Preston who are physical. Slater would've been more suitable to offer some protection for a back 3 that was exposed several times on the break.

We are absolutely shafted unless our youth can all step up like Ndiaye, because we've not got a pot to piss in to get the people we need in, and our "assets" are worth about £8.50 and a packet of rolos.

McBurnie, Brewster, Berge, best part of £60m, we'd do well to get a sixth of it at the moment.

FFS! I've gone through these mixed emotions for many years and become numb to it. The Blades way as many say😯

Will be very interested to hear Hecky’s post match presser, after that shite.

We'll take him for that!! I think my club that also is fecked up could afford that, but I only have 3 norwegian Superman comics from the 90s and hope that is enough. But when he plays for us I will not make him a scapegoat for everything wrong in the world after playing 5 minutes :)
Well of cause you would Sander’s Mum. Owt to see him back home playing for Strømsgodset….

Should be ashamed of themselves, we’ve no defence, Egan useless no midfield & we’re even worse up front. We need a complete new team. They don’t look fit & can only play for 45 minutes. I’m disgusted with players won’t get back when we lose ball, as for tackling that’s none existent. Get rid of the lot of em.

Fuck me, what a shambles

First half, started well. Lots more energy, movement, organisation, pressing. Moving the ball quickly and look really up for it. Still, they had the best chance from a Stevens mistake and we made a number of mistakes and bad choices in our own half. We had more possession and more of the ball but we were a bit kamikaze going forward (Luckily they were offside when Egan completely missed a header when they were two on two). Got the goal and then the penalty (was a penalty, bit dubious about the card as it looked like Brewster's touch was heavy but no attempt at a tackle.) He look better with Norwood and Hourihane because other teams can't double-mark both playmakers. Gives them both more time.

2.0 at half time. In control. All we needed to do was retain possession and move the ball round them

and then.....

The fucking second half. Sure, we missed a few decent chances but they looked much more dangerous going forward as the game went on and seemed to have twice the fitness and mobility of our players. Terrible substitutions didn't help. They were more determined than use. They looked more up for it after the sending off. We were shit.

Wes - 6 - Fuck me, lad has the first touch of doom. Made a few decent saves, but shots he should be saving, but like a bombscare when he had the ball at his feet. Very lucky that their strikers didn't anticipate his shitness. We need someone more solid in goal.
Enda - 7 - We looked so much more solid with him back in the team. Seems to be playing with an injury given the amount of padding he had in his pads and had to go off. Looks like a calf injury. I think people overlook the impact he has on our attacking when he comes infield. He makes the extra man and the overlap. Lovely ball to Brewster and involved with much of our good attacking play.
Robinson - 3 - Almost made several mistakes first half. Unlucky on a couple as he got hospital balls, but still. Another with a heavy first touch and a lack of thought into what he's going to do with it. His throws are dangerous and he got forward well and supported first half but defensively he just seems flat footed and always a step behind the striker. Not terrible tonight but I'll be glad when Davies is back.
Egan - 5 - Let a(nother) straight high ball bounce and was lucky to get away with it. Should have done better in several occasions. Another lucky moment when a striker got goalside of him second half and he pulled him back but offside again. Slow and sloppy.
Bash - 5.5 - Got forward well but there were a lot of misplaced passes today. Gave Robinson a hospital ball and should have done better on the first.
Hourihane - 6 - One of his best games for us. Got forward much more and looked much more up for it. Made a brilliant tackle back after Berge gave it away. Some interesting set-piece corners which we're trying on his watch, but needs better delivery.
Bogle - 6 - Much more dangerous going forward and got his goal. Looked to take men on more but got booked for stupidity and again weak defensively.
Norwood - 5.5 - Pings the ball around nicely as usual but defensively so slow and weak. Players run passed him at will. I noted the first jog after and point on around 9 minutes tonight. They were just running through him second half.
Ndiaye - 6 - Game of two halves. Looked dangerous first half and had a good run and shot. He flatters to deceive though. There's little end product and the defensive side of his game, whilst willing, is sloppy. Guilty of losing the ball too often.
Brewster - 6 - He's getting (very slowly) better. Should have done better with several shots but won the penalty with his movement and starting to make much better runs and much better movement.
Sharp - 5.5 - Kept going and kept making runs. He always offers himself and uses his experience well but not really got the legs or sharpness anymore.

(Disastrous) subs

McGoldrick - 5.5 - Did ok. We held up the ball better with him on but had little or no one helping him.
Berge - 4 - Slow and sloppy again. Looks half arsed. I want to see much more. Almost gave them a winner but saved by Hourihane's brilliant tackling back
RND - 4 - Got forward but didn't offer much defensively.

Heck -5 - Much better first half. They looked much better set-up and much more organised. You could hear them being much more vocal on the pitch. The decision to bring on McGoldrick was patently wrong. We needed more strength and legs in the centre and that was not what we needed as Ndiaye and Sharp both tiring. Poor game management second half on and off the pitch.

Preston - Fair play to them. They kept playing good passing football and got what they deserved.

Credit to Ben Whiteman too. Protected his defence, won his battles in the middle, tidy with the ball and never stopped running. Someone like him next to Norwood might suit us fine.

Ageing team. We can’t afford 1 player we need 11! Next season we will be favourites for the drop. The personal that finished that game 🤣🤣

3 pts & great confidence boost all lost because they switched off at our substitution. & then cant see out the game from 89mins

what is with us & chucking away leads. for years now you never have confidence in us holding on. as 1 goal always panics us no matter comfortable we had been, i would say that 6th time this season we capitulated after 1st, conceded late or both Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Millwall, Barnsley, Cardiff. we are crying for a jake Wright type. like when he came in & brought some badly needed leadership organisation & solidarity

Couldn't believe it when I saw Brewster's number come up when he was the only one who looked like scoring (says a lot about the rest!). Sharp's had his day, he needs to either go to League One or pack it in.

Almost all of these have outstayed their welcome now or in some cases should never have been signed in the first place. Thanks for all the long contracts and Premier League extensions Chris, much obliged.

Just a bunch of lazy shirkers who do the bare minimum then wonder why we keep pissing points away, twice against these now. Any mentality geared towards winning games has long gone up in smoke. It's always a case of scoring a goal and then shitting our pants for the rest of the game, this one being no different. No leadership or game management, whatsoever. I don't think there's anyone in that dressing room that they'd be fearful of either after a performance like that. Imagine if Morgs was in that dressing room now, people would be getting chinned.

We've got a couple of seasons now of staying out of trouble until this lot start moving on. Aside from Ndiaye, there isn't one player on our books who I'd be devastated to lose, not that we would because we can't afford to pay them off and nobody would be daft enough to pay for them.

Fuck me, what a shambles

First half, started well. Lots more energy, movement, organisation, pressing. Moving the ball quickly and look really up for it. Still, they had the best chance from a Stevens mistake and we made a number of mistakes and bad choices in our own half. We had more possession and more of the ball but we were a bit kamikaze going forward (Luckily they were offside when Egan completely missed a header when they were two on two). Got the goal and then the penalty (was a penalty, bit dubious about the card as it looked like Brewster's touch was heavy but no attempt at a tackle.) He look better with Norwood and Hourihane because other teams can't double-mark both playmakers. Gives them both more time.

2.0 at half time. In control. All we needed to do was retain possession and move the ball round them

and then.....

The fucking second half. Sure, we missed a few decent chances but they looked much more dangerous going forward as the game went on and seemed to have twice the fitness and mobility of our players. Terrible substitutions didn't help. They were more determined than use. They looked more up for it after the sending off. We were shit.

Wes - 6 - Fuck me, lad has the first touch of doom. Made a few decent saves, but shots he should be saving, but like a bombscare when he had the ball at his feet. Very lucky that their strikers didn't anticipate his shitness. We need someone more solid in goal.
Enda - 7 - We looked so much more solid with him back in the team. Seems to be playing with an injury given the amount of padding he had in his pads and had to go off. Looks like a calf injury. I think people overlook the impact he has on our attacking when he comes infield. He makes the extra man and the overlap. Lovely ball to Brewster and involved with much of our good attacking play.
Robinson - 3 - Almost made several mistakes first half. Unlucky on a couple as he got hospital balls, but still. Another with a heavy first touch and a lack of thought into what he's going to do with it. His throws are dangerous and he got forward well and supported first half but defensively he just seems flat footed and always a step behind the striker. Not terrible tonight but I'll be glad when Davies is back.
Egan - 5 - Let a(nother) straight high ball bounce and was lucky to get away with it. Should have done better in several occasions. Another lucky moment when a striker got goalside of him second half and he pulled him back but offside again. Slow and sloppy.
Bash - 5.5 - Got forward well but there were a lot of misplaced passes today. Gave Robinson a hospital ball and should have done better on the first.
Hourihane - 6 - One of his best games for us. Got forward much more and looked much more up for it. Made a brilliant tackle back after Berge gave it away. Some interesting set-piece corners which we're trying on his watch, but needs better delivery.
Bogle - 6 - Much more dangerous going forward and got his goal. Looked to take men on more but got booked for stupidity and again weak defensively.
Norwood - 5.5 - Pings the ball around nicely as usual but defensively so slow and weak. Players run passed him at will. I noted the first jog after and point on around 9 minutes tonight. They were just running through him second half.
Ndiaye - 6 - Game of two halves. Looked dangerous first half and had a good run and shot. He flatters to deceive though. There's little end product and the defensive side of his game, whilst willing, is sloppy. Guilty of losing the ball too often.
Brewster - 6 - He's getting (very slowly) better. Should have done better with several shots but won the penalty with his movement and starting to make much better runs and much better movement.
Sharp - 5.5 - Kept going and kept making runs. He always offers himself and uses his experience well but not really got the legs or sharpness anymore.

(Disastrous) subs

McGoldrick - 5.5 - Did ok. We held up the ball better with him on but had little or no one helping him.
Berge - 4 - Slow and sloppy again. Looks half arsed. I want to see much more. Almost gave them a winner but saved by Hourihane's brilliant tackling back
RND - 4 - Got forward but didn't offer much defensively.

Heck -5 - Much better first half. They looked much better set-up and much more organised. You could hear them being much more vocal on the pitch. The decision to bring on McGoldrick was patently wrong. We needed more strength and legs in the centre and that was not what we needed as Ndiaye and Sharp both tiring. Poor game management second half on and off the pitch.

Preston - Fair play to them. They kept playing good passing football and got what they deserved.
Some good comments there

However
Stevens was shocking really shocking

We are absolutely shafted unless our youth can all step up like Ndiaye, because we've not got a pot to piss in to get the people we need in, and our "assets" are worth about £8.50 and a packet of rolos.

McBurnie, Brewster, Berge, best part of £60m, we'd do well to get a sixth of it at the moment.
What happens when you cut corners? You end up paying out more.

Agree.
There’s been over reaction to over reaction and back again.We we’re never gonna beat Wolves and we could’ve and should’ve been 2-0 up but instead gifted them
the first goal.
Proper Shit at Derby and disappointing for sure……but win tonight.
I don’t know what the fu%# I was on earlier but we are shite,except for Ndiaye who was leagues above everyone else on the pitch.
He can actually ‘tackle and press’,everyone else is bloody useless.

So for some Burke is now the answer? At least for tonight. Jesus.

Back
Top Bottom