Player contracts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

For me, ideally the decisions will be:

Release: Norwood, Lowe, Foderingham, Amissah, Coulibaly, Basham, Osborn, Davies (GK) (with Fleck and Thomas already moved on). Total x 10 out.

Offer new contracts to: Arblaster, Jebbison, RND, Bogle, McBurnie, Baldock, Egan. Total x 7 retained.

We need to refresh the squad and have a rebuild/reset now to try and shake off this disastrous season. The habit of defeat can stay with a team and we need to change the team so that it's a fresh looking SUFC side next season with a healthy sprinkling of young quality young lads in the side who will bring much needed enthusiasm and will bring pride back to the shirt.

Some are getting into tizz about the number ooc in the summer. With the exception of Arblaster, Jebbo and RND (to lose any of those 3 would be annoying) I'm relaxed about all the others going. That said, I'd prefer us to keep Bogle, McBurnie, Baldock, and maybe Egan (though the latter is very much a shrug of the shoulders from me if he decides to move on) around for a bit of continuity and for a few experienced heads in a long slog of a Championship campaign.

We should offer our final contracts in early May to those that we want to stay, give them a deadline date, and then tell them the offer will be withdrawn if the final offered contract is not signed by the start of June. We need to be having these conversations now. No more dancing about and potentially missing out on other players and targets whist we wait for our own to make up their minds. They (and us) know we are down and that it's Championship football next season at United. Come the season end, they will have had plenty of time to weigh things up and it's shit on the pot or get off time. The club will move on either way.

They'd be stupid If the 40% cut you quote is correct..

They're all free transfers, and a basic guess at values you'd say mcburnie is 5m all day long at his age, so the club that signs him gets a 5m player for free, however he gets a cut of that reflected in his new pay deal, he'd likely be on 45k - 50k a week plus bonuses on a 3 year deal, when he went to court he declared his earnings at 20k a week, so, he'd be on more than double his current wages.

Egan, Boldock, and Wes will be in the same boat, the riches of the premier league that lundstram wanted he got by becoming a free agent, seems they've all taken note...

All 4 that I mention I would keep if possible, at least a year and maybe 2...
The reported £20k per week for McBurnie was his take home pay so his gross salary would have been somewhere around £40k.

It's also worth remembering that no club is signing a £5m player for free. That's all changed and now players are commanding huge sign on fees, often not far off what you'd consider their market value. That may well also be holding up the contract negotiations.

When we make decisions about next season we should keep in mind what's happened this season. We want to go up, but we don't want this season repeated. A number of players played a part in us getting promoted, but have contributed little in the PL.

Some said "worry about the PL when we get there". But we need to have more momentum going into a PL campaign. We had that in 19/20, and Luton have had it this season. We need our own style, and players with the (potential) ability to make it work at the next level.

We've realised we have too many players not good enough, we've kept faith in too many past their peak, and we had too much to fix in the summer. We have to aim for continuous development and evolvement of the team and squad, and that may mean saying thanks and good bye to some good servants, even if they "may be useful".

None of the ones you would keep will sign the new contract... 15 players in total won't sign it. Rumoured to be a 40% wage cut..
I’d hope they are getting a bigger wage cut than 40% if they’re going to be playing in the league below where they are now.

I liked the concept last season of win bonuses only when in the top 6 that Norwood spoke about.

The reported £20k per week for McBurnie was his take home pay so his gross salary would have been somewhere around £40k.

It's also worth remembering that no club is signing a £5m player for free. That's all changed and now players are commanding huge sign on fees, often not far off what you'd consider their market value. That may well also be holding up the contract negotiations.

You're pretty much echoing what I'm saying..I have to low ball to guide myself from trolls who hover about looking for what they think are easy wins..sad cunts..

It shows how far we have dropped in terms of a quality squad when people are saying to keep McBurnie and Bogle. BBD Osula and Jebbison plus a new striker would be my preference if Archer goes back to Villa.
McBurnie is injury prone and not effective enough as a target man. Bogle is lost when it comes to positioning when defending. When attacking he offers very little.
We also need to look at balancing the squad so that we can adapt/change formation when required. We could do with a couple of wingers rather than playing BBD, McAtee, Archer out wide.

Brewster needs to go too if we can get rid.

I think this thread paints an unrealistically bleak picture of our position for next season

We currently have 11 players signed up with reasonable first team experience for next season.

We've got 5 loans we can use (and I'm sure we'll use them all.

We have 3 or 4 youth players with promise who might fill around a 30 man squad.

That leaves us needing 10 players. Of the 14/15 on the books, I'd be looking at securing contracts with 5, leaving space for 5 or 6 signings in the summer.

None of that sounds at all unusual in modern football.

It's also likely we'll be able to pay wages in the top 4 or 5 teams due to parachute payments.🤷‍♂️

Positions which you can see are looking light next season as it stands.

GK - Wes, Davies, Amissah
RB - Bogle, Baldock
CB - Egan, Basham, Holgate
LB - RND, Lowe, Larouci
CM - Norwood, Osborn, Coulibaly
AM - McAtee
ST - Jebbison, McBurnie, Archer, BBD

14x Out of contract
4x Loans
1x Buy back

Last edited:

RB - Bogle, Baldock
LB - RND, Lowe, Larouci
AM - McAtee

14x Out of contract
4x Loans
1x Buy back
Midfield is the most scary one IMO, only Hamer and big Vin worth keeping we'll probably have to offer osborn a new contract to keep the costs down.

Midfield is the most scary one IMO, only Hamer and big Vin worth keeping we'll probably have to offer osborn a new contract to keep the costs down.

Don't think this is the case. Some combination of Arblaster/Davies/Slimane ought to be more than competent at Championship level, then just try to repeat the success we had with Doyle in the loan market

RB - Bogle, Baldock
LB - RND, Lowe, Larouci
AM - McAtee

14x Out of contract
4x Loans
1x Buy back
I don't think that list is that important. What's important is the 10/15 players who have already signed. You look at that list and it tells you where you have work to do.

I think a lot depends on the youth, how they develop and the confidence we have in them, as well as the loan market.

As mentioned already, we already have six who are likely to be contracted in Hamer, Souza, Brooks, Davies, Arblaster and Slimane. All good ages.

We will be able to assemble a competent Championship team. It’s just a question of whether some of the above such as Hamer and Souza will honour their deals and whether we can get top level loans like Gibbs-White and McAtee to make us an automatic promotion team.

It would also depend who comes down. If Everton then you’d think they’d just offer better wages. But someone like Forest, it feels they got a lot of players who are there for a good time not a long time; they may be in disarray.

Defensively would Anel push to leave? I can imagine Wilder keeping his powder a little dry knowing he has a very serviceable back 5 in the Championship already here. It’s just that he knows there are weaknesses when stepping up.

As ever though, these things will be decided in the forwards. Does Osula kick on? Will he reach Deane levels? Adana levels? Or be a passing fancy like Nade? If not, who is coming in to replace Archer? And who is replacing McBurnie, who got 15 last time out, if he doesn’t stay?

There is an potential promotion team there but simply put, some of those may just not wish to stay.

Last edited:
Yeah that's what i was saying.
The list I'm thinking of looks like this.

GK: Gribc
RB:
CB: Anel, Trusty, Robinson
LB:

MF: Hamer, Souza, T.Davies, Brooks, Slimane

FW: Osula, Traore, Brewster

Plus some youth players with very little experience.
Ideally , we tie down 4 or 5 of the people on your list, so come the summer we don't need to sign 14/15 players.

RB - Bogle, Baldock
LB - RND, Lowe, Larouci
AM - McAtee

14x Out of contract
4x Loans
1x Buy back
Wouldnt bother me if all these went tbh, thanks for their contribution, but we should build for the future, there's eenough experience in the team, given a few signings or loans to compete at championship level

Not really bothered who stays out of the 15 out of contract tbh. Next season minimum needs to be the play offs and if we start handing out loads of contracts to shite/injury prones then its a bad start already.

Good. I want there to be a big clear out of the 'established' players at United. Not saying I want them all to go who are out of contract, but there is not one I would nag an eye lid over if they moved on. Maybe Baldock is one I would like to keep around and maybe 1 or 2 others. Time to sweep clean and rebuild. Offering contracts out to a bunch of players who have played like twats for most of this season would send out the wrong message. It's time for a re-boot in May and start afresh.

RB - Bogle, Baldock
LB - RND, Lowe, Larouci
AM - McAtee

14x Out of contract
4x Loans
1x Buy back
Of that lot I'd only really be interested in the following (ignoring the obvious ones who won't come back)

Baldock
Egan
Osborn - I understand that's not universally popular
Jebbison
BBD

I wouldn't be that bothered if they all said no either.

Go with what we have under contract, and use the parachute money as best we can

The list I'm thinking of looks like this.

GK: Gribc
RB:
CB: Anel, Trusty, Robinson
LB:

MF: Hamer, Souza, T.Davies, Brooks, Slimane

FW: Osula, Traore, Brewster

Plus some youth players with very little experience.
Ideally , we tie down 4 or 5 of the people on your list, so come the summer we don't need to sign 14/15 players.
That forward line is frighteningly bad.

I'd be interested to know who Wilder's referring to when he says there are players everyone assumes will automatically re-sign but might not...... I don't consider a single one of them nailed on to stay

Anything could happen. At least it'll be interesting. Very turbulent summer ahead

Given the amount we'll need to bring in, I'd suggest we spend extra to get players in early. Doing that is vital, IMO

Back
Top Bottom