Player contracts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If so, probably so we can get some sort of fee back.

I think from Traore we can perhaps conclude that lighting up the Swedish League doesn’t exactly make you Premier League ready.
I actually think he would do ok in the championship I'd like to see him back personally

Thought Jebbo had agreed to sign and was looking at Sheffield properties?

Obviously Wilder getting the other young lads to sign was not enough to convince Jebbo to stay.

When we make decisions about next season we should keep in mind what's happened this season. We want to go up, but we don't want this season repeated. A number of players played a part in us getting promoted, but have contributed little in the PL.

Some said "worry about the PL when we get there". But we need to have more momentum going into a PL campaign. We had that in 19/20, and Luton have had it this season. We need our own style, and players with the (potential) ability to make it work at the next level.

We've realised we have too many players not good enough, we've kept faith in too many past their peak, and we had too much to fix in the summer. We have to aim for continuous development and evolvement of the team and squad, and that may mean saying thanks and good bye to some good servants, even if they "may be useful".
A poster who commands tremendous respect and talks the most sense. Wish you were here more often Bergen.

When we make decisions about next season we should keep in mind what's happened this season. We want to go up, but we don't want this season repeated. A number of players played a part in us getting promoted, but have contributed little in the PL.

Some said "worry about the PL when we get there". But we need to have more momentum going into a PL campaign. We had that in 19/20, and Luton have had it this season. We need our own style, and players with the (potential) ability to make it work at the next level.

We've realised we have too many players not good enough, we've kept faith in too many past their peak, and we had too much to fix in the summer. We have to aim for continuous development and evolvement of the team and squad, and that may mean saying thanks and good bye to some good servants, even if they "may be useful".

Completely agree with this. I feel a new 'era' needs to start next season and say thanks and goodbye to the majority of the squad. We have quite a few players that have been okay over 3/4 years, but I'm a bit bored of seeing them in a United shirt. Really hope we don't fall into the trap of giving them another year or two because its easier than rebuilding.

You’re categorically saying Arblaster won’t sign?
Bold post if that’s the case.
Laney Blade said:
None of the ones you would keep will sign the new contract... 15 players in total won't sign it. Rumoured to be a 40% wage cut..

Bump for Bobs call.

Another Connor Sammon style miss from the one who “does her research”

“Rumoured” = my bottle of Haig told me.

Given we’re down to three months until contract expiry and relegation has been a technicality for weeks (months?), I suspect we won’t be renewing many more contracts if any.

Clock has started for pre-season next year (3 and a bit months away) and given the volume of business needed you’ve got to hope that we are already progressing multiple signings in the background. We can’t get into the first couple of games without all the business being done and given it’s a potential new system / team, we need them in for a full pre-season.

I know it’ll provoke the usual response of YOU TRY SIGNING PLAYERS THEN, but this next three to four months will be make or break for next year. This bollocks of best value occurring at the end of the window needs chucking in the bin. With two years of parachute payments it’s imperative we get back up at the first or second attempt.

Given we’re down to three months until contract expiry and relegation has been a technicality for weeks (months?), I suspect we won’t be renewing many more contracts if any.

Clock has started for pre-season next year (3 and a bit months away) and given the volume of business needed you’ve got to hope that we are already progressing multiple signings in the background. We can’t get into the first couple of games without all the business being done and given it’s a potential new system / team, we need them in for a full pre-season.

I know it’ll provoke the usual response of YOU TRY SIGNING PLAYERS THEN, but this next three to four months will be make or break for next year. This bollocks of best value occurring at the end of the window needs chucking in the bin. With two years of parachute payments it’s imperative we get back up at the first or second attempt.

I have zero faith that we have the hierarchy/budget/negotiation skills/recruitment team/proactiveness/organisation to be on the ball with renewing contracts and broader recruitment.

I expect a slow start to the summer, with players ultimately leaving (not all we will agree with) and players arriving in dribs and drabs. Ultimately, not enough quantity or quality. See last summer, Slimane, Traore and Larouci, etc.

I agree entirely, but persuading the players we want to make early decisions can be tricky. The danger then is that we take on players who are not as good as the ones we want just to get the squad together.
It’s a fine balance, but I don’t want to see a squad in transition in early August.

I think we aren’t really trying to sign any with any real conviction. If we said okay we have offered 2 contracts that means the other players know 100% they are going. They would down tools and we are left even further up the creek without a paddle.

This is the event of terrible planning, as much as Hecky was a good guy he had no long term plan for the club. As a fan base we were pulling our hair out with Lunny. Now we have a team full.

I agree entirely, but persuading the players we want to make early decisions can be tricky. The danger then is that we take on players who are not as good as the ones we want just to get the squad together.
It’s a fine balance, but I don’t want to see a squad in transition in early August.
We don’t have a Head of Recruitment how can anyone make a decision?

If they say okay release McB as we have this player ready to step in. It makes it easier but we don’t have that.

Every week that goes by we fall further and further behind. I can imagine teams like Luton and Burnley are well down the line with potential signings already. We don’t even have a fag packet.

At this point we have to assume that we're not going to be renewing anyone's contract - Egan, Norwood, Baldock, McBurnie and Lowe all signed Premier League contracts so you would expect they're on hefty money. Bogle is the only one I can see us renewing.

Then we're back to a League One budget and scrabbling around for free transfers every year. With the manager expected to get promotion despite the absolute shitshow behind the scenes.

If I know I'm looking for a new job in two months and my work was being publicised to the whole world, I'd at least pretend to try to be professional, yes
I don't think every player will all think the same dont you think?

Football is a different ball game, free agents from the PL will always get offers. Either injured or poor performances for us this season I bet all the released players find a new club in the championship minimum.

Other clubs and fans thought Berge was our best player because of his profile and cost, he wasn't though.

'Oh look McBurnie is a free, cost SUFC 20 odd million, let's get him signed'

Still need to hire a new head of recruitment and complete the wider restructure of the recruitment teams first Rods. Agree though I hope we’re getting a shift on we can’t have a repeat of this summer

Slightly off subject but in recent weeks I've heard people say that Souza won't come into the Championship, and Anel likewise (though he was already here).
Yet we missed out on players that wouldn't sign a relegation clause. If the bigger players aren't willing to stay anyway, why didn't we offer more 'we'll let you leave if we are relegated' clauses? Maybe get some better players in like Doyle.

Slightly off subject but in recent weeks I've heard people say that Souza won't come into the Championship, and Anel likewise (though he was already here).
Yet we missed out on players that wouldn't sign a relegation clause. If the bigger players aren't willing to stay anyway, why didn't we offer more 'we'll let you leave if we are relegated' clauses? Maybe get some better players in like Doyle.
Wolves are far superior financially than us. We just don’t have the financial fire power or dodgy Portuguese agencies.

We leave things too late. It’s like now we don’t have a head of recruitment and we need a huge overhaul!

It's still reliant on offering better terms for the here and now. It's not good thinking you can offer someone 40k/week with a relegation release clause to get you out of the wages if someone else is offering 50k.

I think we aren’t really trying to sign any with any real conviction. If we said okay we have offered 2 contracts that means the other players know 100% they are going. They would down tools and we are left even further up the creek without a paddle.

This is the event of terrible planning, as much as Hecky was a good guy he had no long term plan for the club. As a fan base we were pulling our hair out with Lunny. Now we have a team full.
Because the board wouldn’t sanction any short term planning never mind medium or long term. They’d stopped paying fees even for loan players, never mind undersoil heating and catering.

We didn’t have the fee to get Doyle. It would have been £15-20m to do that deal and we don’t have it. Doyle and Arblaster would have been a great future pairing though.

Back
Top Bottom