Player contracts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reckon the likes of Baldock, Egan, Bogle and Lowe all have optional extensions we can exercise.

I'm hoping we have that for Berge and Iliman too it's just not public knowledge. But something tells me this isn the case.

The board need to get their finger out with contracts this summer too. All of the above we don't want to be losing players. Key players for nowt.

Yes lots to do and the extensions just handed out add to the players with contracts expiring in 2024.

I'm guessing that most of the contracts will be offered from September onwards with things looking much better by Christmas now that we know we're on the gravy train for another 3 years

Apart from Anel (2026) and Brewster (2025), every player is out of contract in 2024 😳 That's nearly 20 odd players, I never even realised we took this much of a step back from contracts.

Whatever division we're in next season, it's a huge rebuilding job.

Enormous problem and one of many reasons we need our "best owner ever" to find a legitimate buyer asap.

We have to be very careful with contacts, clearly as we have severe financial and cash flow issues and have to plan accordingly especially if we get relegated

We have to be very careful with contacts, clearly as we have severe financial and cash flow issues and have to plan accordingly especially if we get relegated
I don't think we have severe cashflows problems if we spend within our means from now on, we didn't previously and we're now paying the price for it but I think the worst is over. We've also got a very good youth system of course with Arblaster, Jebbison, Osula and Boyes to name a few all likely to be in the first team squad next season (especially if we are in the Championship) assuming contracts are not an issue.

This is why we need to sign a handful of players for the long term this summer

If we don't we'll be far too exposed next summer. Losing that amount of players or having to hand out that amount of contracts would handicap us severely

Need to sign too many next summer? Then the budget would be spread too thinly to attain the quality needed for promotion

Need to hand out contracts galore? Then that would obliterate the budget

Reckon the likes of Baldock, Egan, Bogle and Lowe all have optional extensions we can exercise.

I'm hoping we have that for Berge and Iliman too it's just not public knowledge. But something tells me this isn the case.

The board need to get their finger out with contracts this summer too. All of the above we don't want to be losing players. Key players for nowt.
The problem with this is we're just kicking the problem down the road.

Like we've done this year with McBurnie. If he doesn't have the best season will he stay if Swansea come in for him?

It's not the way to run a football club. Any of those players have a good season and we get relegated then they're ripe to be poached.

The problem with this is we're just kicking the problem down the road.

Like we've done this year with McBurnie. If he doesn't have the best season will he stay if Swansea come in for him?

It's not the way to run a football club. Any of those players have a good season and we get relegated then they're ripe to be poached.

That happens anyway regardless of contract lenth, player power. Apart from illiman. Anel and maybe Egan we don't have anyone we could get a big fee for.

Would add Berge to that but his agent gas already said he wants to run his contract down to get a big wage on a free.

We do but it would be negligent to be left with barely any squad too!

It's a pain in the ass recycling players and filling agents pockets.

What we need is something like O'Brien and Doyle on 5 years deals and then sit back and watch them grow.

If we can't get the latter then at least something similar would be good.

Maitland-Niles is a good age. Not saying he's the answer but my point being 2 or 3 in the middle you could see being with the club for 5 years with little need to replace. They would save on fees and lining agent's pockets.

Likewise players like Manning and the Greaves from Hull. Locks down a position for 5 years.

I much prefer evolution than revolution. 4 decent players each summer that push to the next level and that's it. None of this 11 in and 11 out nonsense. It's just a waste of money.

If you looked at multiple positions then Johansson, Maitland-Niles, Greaves, Manning, O'Brien, Doyle and perhaps a forward on loan would make me feel we have some good growth in the group for the next 3 or 4 years.

Probably won't get all those and might not sign so many but that profile of group would leave me personally contented, even if Doyle is a lona this year with a view to a buy next year, if we stay up.

It's a pain in the ass recycling players and filling agents pockets.

What we need is something like O'Brien and Doyle on 5 years deals and then sit back and watch them grow.

If we can't get the latter then at least something similar would be good.

Maitland-Niles is a good age. Not saying he's the answer but my point being 2 or 3 in the middle you could see being with the club for 5 years with little need to replace. They would save on fees and lining agent's pockets.

Likewise players like Manning and the Greaves from Hull. Locks down a position for 5 years.

I much prefer evolution than revolution. 4 decent players each summer that push to the next level and that's it. None of this 11 in and 11 out nonsense. It's just a waste of money.

If you looked at multiple positions then Johansson, Maitland-Niles, Greaves, Manning, O'Brien, Doyle and perhaps a forward on loan would make me feel we have some good growth in the group for the next 3 or 4 years.

Probably won't get all those and might not sign so many but that profile of group would leave me personally contented, even if Doyle is a lona this year with a view to a buy next year, if we stay up.
Nice if it works. How is Brewster's 5 year contract going?!!

And the problem with that approach, now, is that they're going to be on EPL wages for 5 years. Players going to be reluctant to sign a relegation reduction given we're one of the favourites to go down.

And the problem with that approach, now, is that they're going to be on EPL wages for 5 years. Players going to be reluctant to sign a relegation reduction given we're one of the favourites to go down.
Players signing with us will almost certainly have relegation release clauses to allow them to move to offset the reduction in salary if we're relegated.

Have we purposely done this so that we are more atractive to a potential buyer? The wage bill is probably the biggest outlay for any football club - are we a more attractive proposition if we have less contracted players? Bearing in mind that new owners normally mean a new management team who will want their own players.
Not saying this is the case for us, just raising it as a possibility.

Have we purposely done this so that we are more atractive to a potential buyer? The wage bill is probably the biggest outlay for any football club - are we a more attractive proposition if we have less contracted players? Bearing in mind that new owners normally mean a new management team who will want their own players.
Not saying this is the case for us, just raising it as a possibility.
Works both ways though. Contracted players are assets to the club. Ndiaye or Berge on a 4 year contract are worth much more than with a year left.

Club is essentially frozen while the owner is looking to sell up. And he's been trying to sell us for two years and now we have this mess.

Hecky has a option in his contract until 2027 bizarrely considering the average time most managers are in a job right now and a new owner potentially would want his own manager in sooner rather than later

Works both ways though. Contracted players are assets to the club. Ndiaye or Berge on a 4 year contract are worth much more than with a year left.
Those two in all likelihood going for nothing even if we stay up is a huge problem let alone if we go down. Unless we have a option on them and we just haven't said so.

Those two in all likelihood going for nothing even if we stay up is a huge problem let alone if we go down. Unless we have a option on them and we just haven't said so.
I believe Ndiaye just has a 2 year contract. There might be an option to extend Berge but it won't be purely in our hands.

We'll have Berge, Ndiaye, Coulibaly, Wes, Norwood and McBurnie with contracts ending and no option to extend.

who knows with Jebbo and Osula.

Even if we can extend the others, it just moves the problem to another year when it's extremely likely we'll have less money.

bit of a mess.

O
I believe Ndiaye just has a 2 year contract. There might be an option to extend Berge but it won't be purely in our hands.

We'll have Berge, Ndiaye, Coulibaly, Wes, Norwood and McBurnie with contracts ending and no option to extend.

who knows with Jebbo and Osula.

Even if we can extend the others, it just moves the problem to another year when it's extremely likely we'll have less money.

bit of a mess.

Wasn't this how warnock operated in his first few years? Seem to remember about 10 first team free transfers in and out each season.

Club is essentially frozen while the owner is looking to sell up. And he's been trying to sell us for two years and now we have this mess.

Hecky has a option in his contract until 2027 bizarrely considering the average time most managers are in a job right now and a new owner potentially would want his own manager in sooner rather than later
New owner will be chased out of town if he even looks at Hecky.

If he loses the first 5 games people will be calling for his head 🤷‍♂️
Standard by all accounts. Hecky has approx 3 years left on his current contract. Regardless of how we do next season, 1) We have to be realistic, Leeds got relegated by spending £80million in 2022/23 summer transfer window and at least £36million in January with one undisclosed fee and one loan signing not included in that. They also went through 3 managers in a season and still got relegated. Not sure how much they paid off the 3 out of their contracts but that will be a few more £million. I personally would like Hecky to have chance to build on what he has done over the last few years. If we drop, do the novelty and keep him to rebuild for the Championship at very least for 1 season whilst we still get parachute payments if we stay up magic!

Standard by all accounts. Hecky has approx 3 years left on his current contract. Regardless of how we do next season, 1) We have to be realistic, Leeds got relegated by spending £80million in 2022/23 summer transfer window and at least £36million in January with one undisclosed fee and one loan signing not included in that. They also went through 3 managers in a season and still got relegated. Not sure how much they paid off the 3 out of their contracts but that will be a few more £million. I personally would like Hecky to have chance to build on what he has done over the last few years. If we drop, do the novelty and keep him to rebuild for the Championship at very least for 1 season whilst we still get parachute payments if we stay up magic!
Yes, I’d go for the continuity. Not least because a few of Jebbison, Osula, Arblaster, Brooks, Boyes, Amissah, Buyabu, Sachdev etc, Hecky’s players, might be ready for the first team in 2024/25. And I’m really looking forward to that.

Standard by all accounts. Hecky has approx 3 years left on his current contract. Regardless of how we do next season, 1) We have to be realistic,
Don't get me wrong unless he starts playing Ndiaye as a keeper I probably wouldn't be calling for his head but football and realistic? Be a rarity!

If a new owner with a different version to the Wilder framework style of play wants to stamp his identity into the club Hecky would be on thin ice. And who is to say it wouldn't work. Plenty of Southampton fans weren't exactly delighted when their promotion winning manager was binned off for Pochettino... whatever did happen to that Nigel Adkins

The truth is that you want players on 3 year deals. Especially when we can see a 3 year income stream.

8 players to contract each year gives a 24 man squad with 5 or 6 prospects to fill it out

Back
Top Bottom