Paul Westerman RIP

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Paul Westerman, brother of Steve, passed away earlier this week having apparently taken his own life.

Paul and Steve sold match programmes at The Lane over many years and both enjoyed bellowing the phrase “match programmes, three quid.” This possibly explains the confusion on an earlier thread. Paul generally stood on the Railway pub corner before games and walked down from the Bramall Lane end, in front of the John St stand during games to catch any stragglers.

I worked with Paul for several years and remember him as a hard working guy with a wickedly dry sense of humour. He seemed to struggle with his mental health at times and had apparently been on extended furlough. I imagine the combination of that and losing his match day duties took its toll.

Paul wasn’t an optimist by nature and that probably made supporting the Blades a bit challenging at times. He once surprised me with an acknowledgment that he would sometimes choose not to watch games which he felt we were destined to lose, preferring to remain on the concourse behind the Bramall Lane stand.

He was fundamentally a good guy who loved his football team and was a colourful piece in the rich and varied tapestry that is Sheffield United.

RIP
Sad to hear 🥺

RIP.

Really sorry to hear this - heartbreaking for everyone who knew him. UTB.

RIP

Programmes, people, please, programmes. Sorry to be a pedant, but they are nothing to do with computers.

Indeed.

Old school friend sadly took his own life a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry to learn that. A friend of mine also took his own life a couple of months ago. Someone who seemed one of the most unlikely of people to do so as well. Left me taunted by guilt that I didn't see it coming. Suicide is hard to come to terms with, it just seems to defy the natural order of things.

RIP fellow Blade.Things just won’t be the same on match days without his voice booming “programs three quid”.

It’s times like this that I think we all need to reach out to people and ask them how they are doing.
so sad to hear the news.

I'm still a bit confused, I thought it was confirmed there had been a mistake and another seller had died.

Vey sad indeed. R.I.P. Fellah. We all need to look out for each other. You never know what is going on in people's minds and suicide is such a difficult thing for people to talk about. It's still too much of a taboo subject in our society . I was a Samaritan for a number of years and my former colleagues tell me the service is getting more calls than ever. If anybody reading this is feeling so low and having suicidal thoughts PLEASE talk to them. It's a 24 hour service and calls are free on 116123. Don't go through it alone.

This is so so upsetting to read, I urge anyone out there that are struggling mentally to speak to somebody and not keep it to themselves. If you're struggling or feeling down even this forum can be a great way of realising you're not on your own and there are people to speak to out there.

RIP fellow Blade. I'm absolutely devastated.

It's a shame that club never mentioned this, unless Bert missed it or his family didn't want them to.

I think Bert means, you know who the correct people/relevant department to speak to, that the fans are appreciative of what he did?

Back
Top Bottom