Paul Westerman RIP

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Bohemian

Reaction score
Paul Westerman, brother of Steve, passed away earlier this week having apparently taken his own life.

Paul and Steve sold match programmes at The Lane over many years and both enjoyed bellowing the phrase “match programmes, three quid.” This possibly explains the confusion on an earlier thread. Paul generally stood on the Railway pub corner before games and walked down from the Bramall Lane end, in front of the John St stand during games to catch any stragglers.

I worked with Paul for several years and remember him as a hard working guy with a wickedly dry sense of humour. He seemed to struggle with his mental health at times and had apparently been on extended furlough. I imagine the combination of that and losing his match day duties took its toll.

Paul wasn’t an optimist by nature and that probably made supporting the Blades a bit challenging at times. He once surprised me with an acknowledgment that he would sometimes choose not to watch games which he felt we were destined to lose, preferring to remain on the concourse behind the Bramall Lane stand.

He was fundamentally a good guy who loved his football team and was a colourful piece in the rich and varied tapestry that is Sheffield United.

RIP

Paul Westerman, brother of Steve, passed away earlier this week having apparently taken his own life.

Paul and Steve sold match programmes at The Lane over many years and both enjoyed bellowing the phrase “match programmes, three quid.” This possibly explains the confusion on an earlier thread. Paul generally stood on the Railway pub corner before games and walked down from the Bramall Lane end, in front of the John St stand during games to catch any stragglers.

I worked with Paul for several years and remember him as a hard working guy with a wickedly dry sense of humour. He seemed to struggle with his mental health at times and had apparently been on extended furlough. I imagine the combination of that and losing his match day duties took its toll.

Paul wasn’t an optimist by nature and that probably made supporting the Blades a bit challenging at times. He once surprised me with an acknowledgment that he would sometimes choose not to watch games which he felt we were destined to lose, preferring to remain on the concourse behind the Bramall Lane stand.

He was fundamentally a good guy who loved his football team and was a colourful piece in the rich and varied tapestry that is Sheffield United.

RIP
Sad news. RIP.

Sorry to hear of his passing. 🙁

Really sad news. I think we may all know someone or have heard of someone who has chosen to leave us in the time of Covid. It's another significant and tragic aspect of this whole business.

Very sad news I’m sure we all got a few programs from him over the years RIP gone but always remembered by your fellow Blades

Thank you. Very sad. A Bramall Lane legend.

Well said Bert.

The Bohemian the family I’m sure will be aware, but just to reiterate those such as Paul contributed greatly to the richness, character and enjoyment of many matchday memories for thousands of fellow Blades and their families. He will be missed greatly.

UTB & RIP Paul.

RIP, very sad news, I bought many a program from him over the years.

very sad news, i saw him every match. he was part of the furniture it will be sad that he will be another that will be missing when we return

my main memory was a few years ago, when auntie tried to be funny & asked him if the programmes were half price because it was half time. i wanted ground to swallow me up. & everytime he passed where i sat, i was returned to that day

No good way to go, but taking your own life leaves so many unanswered questions. R.I.P.

Well said Bert.

The Bohemian the family I’m sure will be aware, but just to reiterate those such as Paul contributed greatly to the richness, character and enjoyment of many matchday memories for thousands of fellow Blades and their families. He will be missed greatly.

UTB & RIP Paul.
He's the only person Bert has ever taken a photo of at Bramall Lane in over 50 years.
Here's another. IMG_20190213_201123.jpg

RIP
Oh my sorry to hear this known Paul a long time the quieter of the two but nice guy

Really sad news. I think we may all know someone or have heard of someone who has chosen to leave us in the time of Covid. It's another significant and tragic aspect of this whole business.
Indeed.

Old school friend sadly took his own life a couple of weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom