Paul Westerman RIP

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not really, hardly spoken to anyone since I left !!!!!
Well that's a bugger.

Have you got a season ticket?

Daft question... of course you have.

Bert has been on the mojitos, but he knows one thing, once a Blade always a Blade

Well that's a bugger.

Have you got a season ticket?

Daft question... of course you have.

Bert has been on the mojitos, but he knows one thing, once a Blade always a Blade

No I haven't got a season ticket, the person you need to get in touch with is Kevin Cookson, Head of Media.

No I haven't got a season ticket, the person you need to get in touch with is Kevin Cookson, Head of Media.
Gracias.

No Season Ticket?

Pardon Bert being presumptuous, but why not?

Presumably you'll be going to The Lane next season you were one of the rocks of The Blades. Friend to all.

Gracias.

No Season Ticket?

Pardon Bert being presumptuous, but why not?

Presumably you'll be going to The Lane next season you were one of the rocks of The Blades. Friend to all.

No season ticket and no plans to attend any games, I have actually found other things to do.

No season ticket and no plans to attend any games, I have actually found other things to do.
Glad to hear it for your sake. You won't remember what you did, but I will never forget when you went out of your way to sort tickets for me for 3 german blokes who I met whilst on a stag do. I said if they were ever in the UK they should come to The Lane, they told me they were coming, the weekend we played Wendy at home! I wrote you a letter explaining and you sorted 3 tickets on the Kop for them.
When I collected the tickets, you told me your dad always told you, "if you can do something for someone, do it".
You did it on that occasion, 3 random Germans had an amazing experience, and I appreciate it, I appreciate you, and your dad's words. Best wishes for the future Mick.

Glad to hear it for your sake. You won't remember what you did, but I will never forget when you went out of your way to sort tickets for me for 3 german blokes who I met whilst on a stag do. I said if they were ever in the UK they should come to The Lane, they told me they were coming, the weekend we played Wendy at home! I wrote you a letter explaining and you sorted 3 tickets on the Kop for them.
When I collected the tickets, you told me your dad always told you, "if you can do something for someone, do it".
You did it on that occasion, 3 random Germans had an amazing experience, and I appreciate it, I appreciate you, and your dad's words. Best wishes for the future Mick.

Thank you Sherburn, very much appreciated, take care.

Paul Westerman, brother of Steve, passed away earlier this week having apparently taken his own life.

Paul and Steve sold match programmes at The Lane over many years and both enjoyed bellowing the phrase “match programmes, three quid.” This possibly explains the confusion on an earlier thread. Paul generally stood on the Railway pub corner before games and walked down from the Bramall Lane end, in front of the John St stand during games to catch any stragglers.

I worked with Paul for several years and remember him as a hard working guy with a wickedly dry sense of humour. He seemed to struggle with his mental health at times and had apparently been on extended furlough. I imagine the combination of that and losing his match day duties took its toll.

Paul wasn’t an optimist by nature and that probably made supporting the Blades a bit challenging at times. He once surprised me with an acknowledgment that he would sometimes choose not to watch games which he felt we were destined to lose, preferring to remain on the concourse behind the Bramall Lane stand.

He was fundamentally a good guy who loved his football team and was a colourful piece in the rich and varied tapestry that is Sheffield United.

RIP
Sad.. sad ..news R.I.P top Blade x

I take itwas just a job to you ! You have no affiliation to the club ? I'm surprised at that !

Course I've got affilation to the Club and it was far more of a job to me.

I was fortunate to work for United for 32 years after spending nearly 25 years supporting the Club home and away on the terraces.

But at nearly 66 years of age my priorities have changed.

I was fortunate to work for United for 32 years after spending nearly 25 years supporting the Club home and away on the terraces.

Glad to hear you still have an affiliation with the club, and you're 100% right that after 32 years service you've definitely done your bit and do right to prioritise the bugger things in life.

You once reunited me with my phone after I left it on a coach and for that I'll be forever grateful to you and the club for providing that personal touch!

Paul was a lovely bloke who worked very hard for the Club.

I agree that some reconition should be given to Paul in the Birmingham City programme.

If anyone has any suggestions please contact Kevin Cookson who is Head of Media at the Club.

Finally get that bloody tiling done! 🤣

Make sure you don't become a stranger on here, I'm confident there'll be 100s of stories of appreciation like the ones above. For those my age, you've been part of the furniture for a large proportion of our Blades supporting lives... Doesn't feel right not spotting you/bumping into you, outside of contracted hours, doing something you weren't paid for, making someone's day a little easier or better. Feel even wronger then not spying you popping up on here 😉

Enjoy your rest/dedicating time to other things though, you've earned it.

Take that have got a back catalogue to listen to ;)

Thankyou Rooks, best day I had was taking Girlfriend and her daughter around the lane, I bought her the mascot package.
You took us us on the tour, when girlfriend saw Jostein Flo, I was then second choice, brilliant day, seen you many times on a Sunday morning at brunsmeers ground having a bacon Sani.
In the 90's.

Good luck and thankyou.

All the best Rooks

Players come and go but it's people like you and the work you put in that makes the club what it is.

Thank you

Whilst all the comments on here are very nice to read, can we get it back on track please, thank you.

To not see and hear him 'selling' his way through the stands after kick off on August 7 will be a poignant time, as has been said on here, a piece of the rich tapestry of matchday will be missing for many Blades
RIP Paul

Rooks, you won’t remember me, but many years ago, I called into the shop to see if I could pinch a Benfica friendly programme - I had two visitors from Lisbon arriving the following week, both rabid Benfica men.

Derek Dooley was in the shop, he heard what I was asking for and said, “Rooks will know if we’ve still got one, come with me”. Sure enough, you managed to find one, wouldn’t take anything for it, and I walked away with my prize.

Our visitors were with us for a couple of days, and as they were leaving, we presented them with the programme and you’d think we’d given them the keys to heaven. Imagine the CEO and Sales Director of a multi-billion euro company standing in our car park, reading it, pointing at names, like two kids at Christmas…

That company has a huge factory in Porto, where United and the name Jimmy Hagan are still held in the highest regard, and your gift to me was taken there and shown to all departments and workplaces - I’m almost certain that it is still framed and hanging somewhere in the Lisbon HQ.

Rooks, thanks again mate, whatever you do in the future, I hope that you’re happy.

Kindest Regards
GBS

Back
Top Bottom