Osborn gone

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He's cover (good cover) for a good few positions, club extension option being took and confirmed by wilder that he was hopefully being retained 2 weeks ago .

Now he's off..

3 possibilities..

Wilder gone (new owners new guy)

Takeover real. Ozzy not got the quality.

No money.. fuck it I'm off.
Last option🤣

Anyone know when list is released? I'm sure wilder said it were supposed to be Tuesday just gone

I am really surprised by this news and really hope that its not a big oversight on our part. We need his type of character in the squad. Even if new owners come in with money, look at Chelsea, they were missing leaders and workhorses this season.

Seeing Ozzy in the starting 11 always highlighted someone was injured but I never was worried by seeing his name. He gave a lot and there were some bright sparks from him in what was otherwise a dire season.

GLTTL

Here's some food for thought. He's a good utility player, because of the ridiculous number of injuries we have had. If we can reduce these injuries, both through getting rid of those who are injury prone (ironically himself being one of them) and through improved conditioning, then where does he fit in?

One of 3 things has happened here.

1. Wilder wanted to keep him but as Hecky learnt board/Prince over rules these decisions.
2. His injury might be worse than first feared so, risk having him for a season and he isn't available to play enough.
3. It's connected to this takeover bid. But I see that as highly unlikely at this stage.

Could be a sign we're in a worse financial position than we thought.
An obvious player to keep, particularly when we need to acquire so many in a short period of time.
Or Wilder has looked at his wage bill for next season, what money is available now and what money he needs to bring in more players.

He may well have pencilled in x number of potential players who he wants to bring in, which will eat up his budget until certain players are moved on.

Perhaps a left back as a free agent is interested and Wilder wants him. Does he want to offer a new deal to Osborn, or use Ozzy's wages to bring in that left back.

I don't believe for one instant that this is a decision made because we're skint. I believe this is a footballing decision being made to help the rebuild, as we can use the wages to bring in a player who

A) won't be injury prone throughout his United career

B) can hold down a place in the first team other than out of desperation because everyone else is injured

C) the fans might look back on and say more than just, he was a utility player who ran around a lot

I don't mean any disrespect to Ozzy, but someone please convince me that he was a key player over the last five seasons who we will miss now that he is going. Why are we obsessed with bang average players who run around a lot but have little positive influence in matches? Why are we so accepting of mediocrity?

Osborn was an average player who tried hard and gave his all, but lacked the ability and consistency to hold down a regular place. That's an honest assessment of him. I can't knock him for his attitude or effort but it's time for us to sign better players than this.

Last edited:
If we are talking about keeping Osbourne to cover a variety of positions in case of injury then I am not too bothered if we let him go. I would think Wilder will be thinking I can utilise some of the youngsters to cover a variety of positions which will give them experience. Either way unless we make quality signings and loans we are not really going to be competing for promotion anyway

Players under contract, not for sale and over 23 years old

Grbic, Bogle, Trusty, Robinson, Hamer (may be for sale?), Davies, Brewster

That's it. For everyone gloating that Osborn has left, we'll need 3 or 4 players of his type just to fill the squad.

15 signings required?

Strewth. Would count only three or four of those as regular / contributing players.

Despite BBD's solid half-season, I reckon Osborn still holds the title of the best Ben to ever play for Sheffield United FC - ahead of Ben Davies (x2), Ben Doane, Ben Heneghan, Ben Starosta, Benie Traore, Ben Whiteman and Ben Woodburn.

From one Ben to another, cheers Ozzy and GLTYL

Strewth. Would count only three or four of those as regular / contributing players.
I'd also forgotten that your mate Ivo is also up for sale.

Of that list, only Hamer would be classed as a top half Championship player (in my opinion). Robinson is a decent enough Championship squad player and the Injury boys from Liverpool don't count

1. Wilder wanted to keep him but as Hecky learnt board/Prince over rules these decisions.
2. His injury might be worse than first feared so, risk having him for a season and he isn't available to play enough.
3. It's connected to this takeover bid. But I see that as highly unlikely at this stage.
4. Someone like Derby have offered him a place in their starting 11 and he's expressed a desire to go?

Or Wilder has looked at his wage bill for next season, what money is available now and what money he needs to bring in more players.

He may well have pencilled in x number of potential players who he wants to bring in, which will eat up his budget until certain players are moved on.

Perhaps a left back as a free agent is interested and Wilder wants him. Does he want to offer a new deal to Osborn, or use Ozzy's wages to bring in that left back.

I don't believe for one instant that this is a decision made because we're skint. I believe this is a footballing decision being made to help the rebuild, as we can use the wages to bring in a player who

A) won't be injury prone throughout his United career

B) can hold down a place in the first team other than out of desperation because everyone else is injured

C) the fans might look back on and say more than just, he was a utility player who ran around a lot

I don't mean any disrespect to Ozzy, but someone please convince me that he was a key player over the last five seasons who we will miss now that he is going. Why are we obsessed with bang average players who run around a lot but have little positive influence in matches? Why are we so accepting of mediocrity?

Osborn was an average player who tried hard and gave his all, but lacked the ability and consistency to hold down a regular place. That's an honest assessment of him. I can't knock him for his attitude or effort but it's time for us to sign better players than this.
This

I'm sure I remember Wilder saying they were going to take the option in his contract in a few interviews

Wilder talks bollocks anyway

"Exciting news round the corner" yet to hear
"Jebbo in next 48 hours" still waiting
"Released list by Tuesday" it's Friday

Are 3 recent examples

I am really surprised by this news and really hope that its not a big oversight on our part. We need his type of character in the squad. Even if new owners come in with money, look at Chelsea, they were missing leaders and workhorses this season.

Seeing Ozzy in the starting 11 always highlighted someone was injured but I never was worried by seeing his name. He gave a lot and there were some bright sparks from him in what was otherwise a dire season.

GLTTL
Wilder has said his recruitment programme is based on bringing in leaders.

4. Boz has had a better offer....

Back
Top Bottom