Osborn gone

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Too many injuries. Jack of all trades, master of none. Never held down a regular first team starting place except when other players were injured. Even then he's good one game, rubbish the next. He should've gone last summer. Thanks Ben, but let's use the wages on a long term left back who can hold down a regular spot. I'm not saying Osborn has been a terrible player or signing, but he's been here too long and surely he has ambitions to play regularly, which he'll never do if he stays here.

I always thought he could work as a defensive midfielder sat in front of the back four, but he was constantly played as a full back or winger, which he never really did well consistently.

Good luck to him. Hope he plays regularly in a team who can figure out what his best role is, and can keep him injury free.

Last edited:

I hope he found a club who wants him to start every week and United have let him go and do that. Be a dick move if we've done it due to injury.

GLTTL

I think its almost certainly the reason.. it is harsh..but in a way understandable.. we already have three crocks on the books next season in Brewster, Davies and RND.. a fourth would be mad even for us… I can’t believe we are keeping RND, I heard he was done two months ago,

Given much more to the club than Max Lowe so its a shame we didn't get to show him our appreciation against Spurs.

People forget some of the really good performances, not least the full 90 in midfield in the 3-0 against Chelsea, a performance that was effectively the footballing pinnacle of the last 30 years for our club.

Thankyou Ben, apart from that peformance away at rotherham last season I always felt he was very under rated by our fans.

Agree with above. Great Utility player and lets be fair the last injury against Spurs wasnt his fault. Bad tackle by the Spurs player more bad luck than anything else. Spurs player should have had a yellow at least but Ref never went back to it, played advantage for Diaz to then hoof it over the top but that was it. One of the few who actually gave a damn on the pitch this season.

I hope he found a club who wants him to start every week and United have let him go and do that. Be a dick move if we've done it due to injury.

GLTTL

If he has a significant injury and we only had a year in mind, then it’s very unfortunate for the player but the right call for the club. Brutal, but correct.

If he’s not injured, and our budget is as limited as people suggest, then I think this is a crap decision. Time will tell.

However it's happened, GLTTL and all that wherever he goes. Always gave his all wherever he played and he had a lot more quality than we gave him credit for. Decent footballer, always willing and as he's shown this season, at least he had some pride. Massive mystery where he's going, good luck at Derby 👍🏼

Wasn't there a player a few years ago we had a one year option on who we didn't trigger? But we eventually offered them a new deal, presumably on a lot less than what the extended one was worth. So it could be a ploy to save wages on a player who is injured.

If the Blades decide to get rid of all the injury-prone players we will end up with hardly any players
Ironically we'll end up with hardly any players if we keep them all and they continue to pick up injuries. As others have said, we're not a charity. Football is a ruthless business and we've lacked ruthlessness.

No offence to Osborn but he shouldn't have even been here at this point for us not to take an option on him. He should've been gone last summer, along with Fleck and Basham (love the guy but he was past his best in the promotion season and barely played).

All decisions should be football decisions and not based on some kind of thank you to players through loyalty or sentimentality.

I've been an avid critic of Wilder since his return, but this at least gives me some hope that the old Wilder is still in there somewhere.

I can remember when he first arrived and immediately released a load of players and transfer listed many more. He'd barely been in the door two minutes. That's the Wilder I want back. Not the one whose loyal to his favourites.

Wasn't there a player a few years ago we had a one year option on who we didn't trigger? But we eventually offered them a new deal, presumably on a lot less than what the extended one was worth. So it could be a ploy to save wages on a player who is injured.
We did this with George Long in 2016,

Clear out was obviously needed and inevitable, it's a bit scary though now! This seems more radical than the 2016 clear out. Not much of a spine left in Grbic, Robinson, Bogle, Trusty? Arblaster and Hamer hopefully we can hang on to. I'd like to see McBurnie stay as well. Probably no point discussing Brewster.

If it is goodbye then it is a pity this wasn’t resolved before the end of the season and he could have said goodbye at the last game. He’s contributed more to United than Max Lowe and he’s featured in more games than Wes.

But if he’s going to be unavailable for some time and we are in the business of paying footballers to play then it is harsh but the right decision. He has picked up injuries through the last three campaigns so you wonder if we were 50/50 and him getting yet another knock, especially with RND also being retained, has just tilted it the other way.

If he needs rehab, then just like Bash, we should support.

It also shows Wilder is prepared to be quite ruthless. Osborn was a trier but limited at the top level and his size is an impediment without an outstanding attribute to compensate at that level.

Pity though that it is another example of a player who we bought for a fee and leaves on a free, though 5 years of service for around 3.5m is not unreasonable compared to some deals.

Good luck to him. Derby would seem a decent next club for him.

Good luck to Ben but lets not forget he was brought in as a back -up player, FFS and that's all he's been. If ya ,think we'll miss him then were fucked

The right decision. It was basically a sign of desperation to keep him. His versatility and good mentality is played off by his injury proneness, and inability to nail down a spot. He's also likely to be on good money at Championship level.

We were going to trigger an option not sign him on a new deal on vastly reduced terms. The truth is that if the club wasn't in a mess he wouldn't even be considered for a new contract. The worry is whether we have the £ or vision to adequately replace him.You can say that about anyone who leaves though.

Players like Osborn are worth their weight in gold to clubs like us.

Not on the most money, professional, don't kick off if they're not playing regularly, and can cover a number of positions.

It's OK saying he couldn't hold down one position, which is true, but he's played an important role at times for me.

Good luck ben and thanks, especially last season when you didn't blubber into your shirt and cry for your mum like some did..

Exactly the wrong player to sell from a point of view about utility and covering..

Somethings clearly changed..
Money , we ain’t got none

Back
Top Bottom