Ollie Burke

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Oli looks like a 12 year old who's got a new tracksuit off his Grandma on Christmas Day. I mean look, I'd love to get the wage he get's but Jesus H, does he actually think he looks good? Surely a few of the lads would rip the piss out of him.

Maybe I'm the one out of touch with jeans and a t-shirt..

Oli looks like a 12 year old who's got a new tracksuit off his Grandma on Christmas Day. I mean look, I'd love to get the wage he get's but Jesus H, does he actually think he looks good? Surely a few of the lads would rip the piss out of him.

Maybe I'm the one out of touch with jeans and a t-shirt..
Makes two of us.

If he played like he did other night I would have a lot fewer complaints about him. It's such a shame he can't find a consistent performance level and some end product in his game.

He's played quite well in his last two appearances.
I'm guilty of writing him off Bergen Blade , but it seems to me he's impressed by getting past his man, but as ever failed to link up / do anything with the ball.

Am I being harsh, are there examples of his runs ending in anything?

I'm guilty of writing him off Bergen Blade , but it seems to me he's impressed by getting past his man, but as ever failed to link up / do anything with the ball.

Am I being harsh, are there examples of his runs ending in anything?

I wouldn't just look at assists/goals to assess a players' contribution. I think it's important to look at the team's overall balance, and how each individual make the team work as a unit.

Having pace and players who can run fast with the ball can be a weapon in itself. Maybe the opposition will think twice about pushing too high up. Strong running, even if it doesn't directly bring a goal, can help stretch the opposition, tire them slightly for our next attack. Coupled with other players who may have more flair and skill, and maybe an aerial threat in the opposition box, it can give the opposition different things to worry about. For a long time defences have looked too comfortable defending against us, but SJ is trying to change that. He wants multiple threats.

Burke had three valuable involvements before our first goal vs Southampton.

• 6:15 We play it out from the back, Southampton are pushing up to press us. Robinson lifts it up to Ndiaye on the left who flicks it on to Burke. Burke muscles off his marker and runs at their defence centrally. He gives it to McBurnie on the right who looks for the overlapping run of Freeman, but the full backs intercepts and we get a throw in. This isn't nothing! Southampton's high press failed, we've shown that we can get behind their midfield and their entire team has been forced to chase after us in desperation.
1632397040237.png
  • 6:46 Following the throw in Freeman gives it to Norwood who plays it to Burke. Burke dribbles past Romeu and slips it through to McBurnie who's in an excellent position to cross to Ndiaye at the back post. Instead he tries to give it back to Burke, but a defender gets a foot on the ball. This was also valuable! We've shown we can get past their defence from a simple throw in with them having all players back. This should give us more belief, while they may be starting to worry a bit.
1632396806612.png

• 7:13 We go again from the following throw in. Norwood returns it to Bogle who finds Burke. Burke touches it on to Freeman who finds the run of Bogle. Bogle beats his man, Southampton's midfielders are gone and their defenders are panicking. Stevens makes a late run into the box and converts Bogle's cross.

1632397440456.png

A team often needs three or four chances to score a goal, so it's important to keep producing them. You often see in match reports that you could feel a goal was coming, and this was one such example, even though we weren't exactly camped in the last third for a long time. It was three attacks inside 70 seconds with intensity, movement, strength, pace and skill, and it meant that Southampton were certainly not comfortable.

I think most supporters appreciate our attacking play is heading in the right direction and I'd be delighted if we can get more players to play a part. Maybe even Burke, like he did above, without getting much recognition.

I wouldn't just look at assists/goals to assess a players' contribution. I think it's important to look at the team's overall balance, and how each individual make the team work as a unit.

Having pace and players who can run fast with the ball can be a weapon in itself. Maybe the opposition will think twice about pushing too high up. Strong running, even if it doesn't directly bring a goal, can help stretch the opposition, tire them slightly for our next attack. Coupled with other players who may have more flair and skill, and maybe an aerial threat in the opposition box, it can give the opposition different things to worry about. For a long time defences have looked too comfortable defending against us, but SJ is trying to change that. He wants multiple threats.

Burke had three valuable involvements before our first goal vs Southampton.

• 6:15 We play it out from the back, Southampton are pushing up to press us. Robinson lifts it up to Ndiaye on the left who flicks it on to Burke. Burke muscles off his marker and runs at their defence centrally. He gives it to McBurnie on the right who looks for the overlapping run of Freeman, but the full backs intercepts and we get a throw in. This isn't nothing! Southampton's high press failed, we've shown that we can get behind their midfield and their entire team has been forced to chase after us in desperation.
View attachment 121544
  • 6:46 Following the throw in Freeman gives it to Norwood who plays it to Burke. Burke dribbles past Romeu and slips it through to McBurnie who's in an excellent position to cross to Ndiaye at the back post. Instead he tries to give it back to Burke, but a defender gets a foot on the ball. This was also valuable! We've shown we can get past their defence from a simple throw in with them having all players back. This should give us more belief, while they may be starting to worry a bit.
View attachment 121542

• 7:13 We go again from the following throw in. Norwood returns it to Bogle who finds Burke. Burke touches it on to Freeman who finds the run of Bogle. Bogle beats his man, Southampton's midfielders are gone and their defenders are panicking. Stevens makes a late run into the box and converts Bogle's cross.

View attachment 121545

A team often needs three or four chances to score a goal, so it's important to keep producing them. You often see in match reports that you could feel a goal was coming, and this was one such example, even though we weren't exactly camped in the last third for a long time. It was three attacks inside 70 seconds with intensity, movement, strength, pace and skill, and it meant that Southampton were certainly not comfortable.

I think most supporters appreciate our attacking play is heading in the right direction and I'd be delighted if we can get more players to play a part. Maybe even Burke, like he did above, without getting much recognition.

Thanks for this analysis, and I have to admit I miss most of this. I remain of the opinion that his lack of end product outweighs the edge he brings by getting behind defences. That's partly out of fixed opinion (bias), but mainly because those far more knowledgeable than me (the managers) keep falling for the hope that they can do something with it, before binning him off with another bunch of crap stats.

I'm convinced he's only still here is because we've given him a fat contract way beyond his worth, so nobody wants him.

As always when I've got a downer on someone, I'd love to be wrong.

I always remember my dad referring to him as "no hope" 🤣🤣
Always raises my hackles when I see this sort of thing about John Hope. He came to us & had the impossible task of replacing Hodgy, one of our biggest legends who was getting on a bit, & in the promotion season he did as much as anyone to achieve this. I accept his form declined, but he had a couple of bad injuries & his confidence suffered terribly, but coming into the side he was superb.

That gaff is well Patrick Bateman. You can hear the Phil Collins....
“I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.”

“…..and then I put on a shell suit and a Fucking man bag”

Back
Top Bottom