Ollie Burke

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Always raises my hackles when I see this sort of thing about John Hope. He came to us & had the impossible task of replacing Hodgy, one of our biggest legends who was getting on a bit, & in the promotion season he did as much as anyone to achieve this. I accept his form declined, but he had a couple of bad injuries & his confidence suffered terribly, but coming into the side he was superb.
Completely agree Speedracer.
John Hope was magnificent to begin with, some brilliant reaction saves in his first two seasons with us.
Lost his confidence after that time and never really recovered. Loved his Gonk being tossed in the back of his net at the beginning of each half.
Happy days utb

Completely agree Speedracer.
John Hope was magnificent to begin with, some brilliant reaction saves in his first two seasons with us.
Lost his confidence after that time and never really recovered. Loved his Gonk being tossed in the back of his net at the beginning of each half.
Happy days utb
He was very good in the year 1971 apart from the League Cup match at West Ham. Got picked twice for the England u23s squad

I still maintain that there's room in the squad for someone with Burke's pace. He's not just fast, he's insanely fast. Pace always scares the crap out of defenders (see our back 3 or 4 for a perfect example) and even with his limited abilities he can single handedly impact the way the opposition set up:

They'll sit deeper to prevent him getting behind, which results in less midfield congestion, which helps our midfield as they can't deal with extra bodies and the press

Corners - less opposition in the box as they'll need to keep at least 2 players back to look after him (another thing that helps as we can't defend set pieces)

And the obvious one - tiring defenders simply do not want to go up against him as they won't win.

He was very good in the year 1971 apart from the League Cup match at West Ham. Got picked twice for the England u23s squad

I was so disappointed that night think it was 5 - 1 to West Ham one of the matches that for some reason sticks in my mind it was a long way back that night.

I was so disappointed that night think it was 5 - 1 to West Ham one of the matches that for some reason sticks in my mind it was a long way back that night.
Even worse, 5-0. We beat them 2-1 at same place in the league 11 days earlier.

It's a strange and mystifying career that Burke has had up until now.

Transferred from Forest for £13mil to RB Leipzig. All it took was a season to reveal his 'quality' and he transferred back to the UK, the lucky club being WBA for an even greater sum of £15 mil. Presumably the fans at his home clubs will have seen exactly what he was about, but in Albion's case what persuaded them to spend £15 mil will always puzzle me.

I don't wish the guy any harm or bad luck, but those essential qualities you'd associate with a player valued in millions must be hibernating. If he had decision-making that was even a quarter better than he's shown so far and attach it to his pace he'd be some player, but what we have is a player that will continue to work at this level and some manager/coach elsewhere will think they can bring out the best in Burke.....well good luck to them.

Always raises my hackles when I see this sort of thing about John Hope. He came to us & had the impossible task of replacing Hodgy, one of our biggest legends who was getting on a bit, & in the promotion season he did as much as anyone to achieve this. I accept his form declined, but he had a couple of bad injuries & his confidence suffered terribly, but coming into the side he was superb.
TBF my old man did admit "the lad certainly proved me wrong "
As you said he was on a looser anyway replacing hodgy

I still maintain that there's room in the squad for someone with Burke's pace. He's not just fast, he's insanely fast. Pace always scares the crap out of defenders (see our back 3 or 4 for a perfect example) and even with his limited abilities he can single handedly impact the way the opposition set up:

They'll sit deeper to prevent him getting behind, which results in less midfield congestion, which helps our midfield as they can't deal with extra bodies and the press

Corners - less opposition in the box as they'll need to keep at least 2 players back to look after him (another thing that helps as we can't defend set pieces)

And the obvious one - tiring defenders simply do not want to go up against him as they won't win.
Someone with Oli Burke's pace and a competent football skillset wouldn't be playing for us. Burke has his strengths as you point out. I think he's worth having around. No one will buy him anyway, when they read what our fans say about him.
Given a chance, I think he'll score 3 this season and half a dozen assists.

We have a lot of strikers. Burke has shown no sign of improvement. I do not see the investment in him at the expense of others. Although I don't write him off as much as many. He has certainly been much more effective than Brewster and for most of last season, McBurnie...Ok, not saying a lot. But no defender likes playing against that pace and strength. In games where we are likely to concede possession, or we need a striker to work in isolation, he is really useful. But, in the Championship, those games will be few and far between, we have too many strikers and we hope and pray Brewster and McPub have higher ceilings in terms of realising their potential.

Even worse, 5-0. We beat them 2-1 at same place in the league 11 days earlier.

Thanks for that silent I was thinking 5-0 then I got thinking that we scored a goal. How some of you remember all these statistics I don’t know brilliant. It also made it worse as when we got home the highlights were on the tv and it was just coming on as I walked in. That’s how I remember it anyway. Not to sure you could get back to do that now.

Thanks for that silent I was thinking 5-0 then I got thinking that we scored a goal. How some of you remember all these statistics I don’t know brilliant. It also made it worse as when we got home the highlights were on the tv and it was just coming on as I walked in. That’s how I remember it anyway. Not to sure you could get back to do that now.
The highlights are on youtube

I wouldn't just look at assists/goals to assess a players' contribution. I think it's important to look at the team's overall balance, and how each individual make the team work as a unit.

Having pace and players who can run fast with the ball can be a weapon in itself. Maybe the opposition will think twice about pushing too high up. Strong running, even if it doesn't directly bring a goal, can help stretch the opposition, tire them slightly for our next attack. Coupled with other players who may have more flair and skill, and maybe an aerial threat in the opposition box, it can give the opposition different things to worry about. For a long time defences have looked too comfortable defending against us, but SJ is trying to change that. He wants multiple threats.

Burke had three valuable involvements before our first goal vs Southampton.

• 6:15 We play it out from the back, Southampton are pushing up to press us. Robinson lifts it up to Ndiaye on the left who flicks it on to Burke. Burke muscles off his marker and runs at their defence centrally. He gives it to McBurnie on the right who looks for the overlapping run of Freeman, but the full backs intercepts and we get a throw in. This isn't nothing! Southampton's high press failed, we've shown that we can get behind their midfield and their entire team has been forced to chase after us in desperation.
View attachment 121544
  • 6:46 Following the throw in Freeman gives it to Norwood who plays it to Burke. Burke dribbles past Romeu and slips it through to McBurnie who's in an excellent position to cross to Ndiaye at the back post. Instead he tries to give it back to Burke, but a defender gets a foot on the ball. This was also valuable! We've shown we can get past their defence from a simple throw in with them having all players back. This should give us more belief, while they may be starting to worry a bit.
View attachment 121542

• 7:13 We go again from the following throw in. Norwood returns it to Bogle who finds Burke. Burke touches it on to Freeman who finds the run of Bogle. Bogle beats his man, Southampton's midfielders are gone and their defenders are panicking. Stevens makes a late run into the box and converts Bogle's cross.

View attachment 121545

A team often needs three or four chances to score a goal, so it's important to keep producing them. You often see in match reports that you could feel a goal was coming, and this was one such example, even though we weren't exactly camped in the last third for a long time. It was three attacks inside 70 seconds with intensity, movement, strength, pace and skill, and it meant that Southampton were certainly not comfortable.

I think most supporters appreciate our attacking play is heading in the right direction and I'd be delighted if we can get more players to play a part. Maybe even Burke, like he did above, without getting much recognition.
I love posts like this Bergen Blade. Icing on the cake would be if you can do 500+ words on the tracksuit (with diagrams).

We need to use his pace, but teach him to look up and pass the ball earlier. He can undo defences, just not on his own
If he hasn't learnt now he never will he isn't a kid he's an adult playing pro football fuck knows why like but hey.. he's gash

We could pick a hundred teams of worse players than Burke

Those that think he is anywhere close to being one of our worst players ever, weren't around in the late 70's and almost the entire 80's.

You could say the same for much of the 90's and 2000's too

We have had some truly absolutely horrendous footballers at this club

Burke gets some really harsh and unfair criticism in my opinion. He's made alot of premier league defenders struggle.

Even against Southampton he rounded one of their lads with ease and put a tasty ball right across the goal line which was begging to be banged home

He will definitely gain us valuable points throughout the season, albeit through squad rotation rather than as a regular starter

Article on Burke and Brewster in the Yorkshire Post today. Slav saying they both need to believe in themselves more.

“I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.”

“…..and then I put on a shell suit and a Fucking man bag”
I’ll bet he listens to Huey Lewis and the News, but only from the album ‘Sports’ onwards their earlier stuff being a little too ‘New Wave’ for his liking

“I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.”

“…..and then I put on a shell suit and a Fucking man bag”

What a lightweight. A fraction of my own routine.

Up with McPub and Brewster transfer business has too be the swap for Forrest gump and Callum Robinson, he's just scored a cracker for Ireland, John Egan captain btw

Back
Top Bottom