Outgoing? Oliver Norwood

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not that I'm saying I'd keep him, but I'd wager it'll be a long time before we have another player that can pass the ball like that.

I remember seeing him on his league debut Vs Norwich in 2018, and he did this marvellous thing of a) Finding space, b) Calling for the ball, and then c) Knowing what he would do with it once he got it. I didn't think that was allowed for a Blades midfielder.

The trouble with Norwood is if the system isn’t suited to his outstanding long-range passing then he’s a very average footballer. And not one who possesses anywhere near enough attributes for a PL midfielder.

Great servant.

Well that's a relief. But what a signing he was. Good luck to him. Should find a championship club
Hopefully gets a proper send off at the lane as well, great player for us but stayed a little too long and ended up out of his depth.

Would have probably been better if he and Fleck ended their United careers on a high and moved on last summer but can see why we retained him given our financial situation at that time.

what player he was at his peak. the best passer ive seen at utd. but like billy sharp 12 months ago. it's correct decision but its still sad & never gets easier when age gets catches up with these great players you have to let them go
Agreed, just a shame that this probably spells the end of Basham's time with us as well, ten years a blade and the last man standing from the league one promotion team.

4 promotions from the Championship with 3 different teams.

Has their been a more successful Championship player in 'recent' history??

At his prime far too good for the Championship and as sir Alex Ferguson predicted, deserved his shot at the Prem.

Thanks for the memories Oli ❤️

Not that I'm saying I'd keep him, but I'd wager it'll be a long time before we have another player that can pass the ball like that.

I remember seeing him on his league debut Vs Norwich in 2018, and he did this marvellous thing of a) Finding space, b) Calling for the ball, and then c) Knowing what he would do with it once he got it. I didn't think that was allowed for a Blades midfielder.
His free kick against Villa, beating to the keeper at his near post from the position he was in almost seemed impossible.

More recently, that ball to play Baldock in for our 5th goal (Mcburnie's second) against Burnley last season, completely out of nowhere which caught out their entire back line.

He's a legend for me. I loved Paul Coutts (the version of him that got us promoted from League One and had us riding high for the first few months of the following season), but Norwood took us to another level after that. His range of passing and ability to control the tempo of a game was something we hadn't seen for a long time as Sheffield United fans.

He's clearly over the hill now, nowhere near Premier League standard and will be on big wages, so the timing is probably right to let him go. Having said that, I wouldn't have been against him staying for another year as back up, just to see us through this transitional period, where let's be honest, we could end up with any old tripe in midfield.

He's a legend for me. I loved Paul Coutts (the version of him that got us promoted from League One and had us riding high for the first few months of the following season), but Norwood took us to another level after that. His range of passing and ability to control the tempo of a game was something we hadn't seen for a long time as Sheffield United fans.

He's clearly over the hill now, nowhere near Premier League standard and will be on big wages, so the timing is probably right to let him go. Having said that, I wouldn't have been against him staying for another year as back up, just to see us through this transitional period, where let's be honest, we could end up with any old tripe in midfield.

I was in complete agreement with you, right up to your last sentence, where we disagree.

Absolutely the right time to let him go. If we want back up, let's go get a younger lad whonis showing potential who can improve with experience and who is the future, not the past. I could just about understand the decision to keep him last summer (not him and Fleck though that was an absurd decision) although I thought it was time to let him go then. 12 months on, there is no decision to make. Has to be released. That's the only sensible decision and I'm glad CW has made that call.

He has been a pleasure to watch at time though and we will miss him, I'm sure.

It would be nice if the leg-irons stay in the dressing room after the match leaving the leg-ends to take the applause they all so richly deserve.
Can't see it happening but I genuinely hope the club find a way to allow those leaving who have given much in recent years, to have their own acclaim and not have it mixed in with those no-one gives a toss about.

We've had one or two miss out on proper goodbyes recently so hopefully something can be done.

Perhaps they should turn the chairs in the stands around so that we are facing away and then the introduce the players one by one. Like in the Saturday night 'talent'? show where those judges swivel round if they like the act. Maybe have some horns fitted to the seats also that sound like an enormous cow if we want to boo.one of the gutless twats instead.

He was some player, Norwood. Transformational.

There are very few occasions where I remember seeing someone, on their debut, and thinking "wow, what an upgrade." He just looked such a massive step-up on Lee Evans straight from the off. £2m was an absolute steal.
He was perfect for our system. Probably the best long-passer the Championship has seen, but his work-rate off the ball was also underrated and his attitude was first class. Always liked hearing his no nonsense interviews which were often pretty combative in tone.

Of course there were some limitations to his game which became more apparent in the last 18 months, but - as with Enda Stevens - I'll choose to remember his positive contribution to the best period I remember of being a Blade.

I was in complete agreement with you, right up to your last sentence, where we disagree.

Absolutely the right time to let him go. If we want back up, let's go get a younger lad whonis showing potential who can improve with experience and who is the future, not the past. I could just about understand the decision to keep him last summer (not him and Fleck though that was an absurd decision) although I thought it was time to let him go then. 12 months on, there is no decision to make. Has to be released. That's the only sensible decision and I'm glad CW has made that call.

He has been a pleasure to watch at time though and we will miss him, I'm sure.
I think we'd all prefer someone younger to fill the void, but we know that we have to bring in several midfielders already probably, as well as all the other positions. It's impossible to get them all right and on our budget, some of them will be gambles.

As I say, I think the time is right anyway, I just wouldn't be against it if they did offer him a short term contract.

Hope there’s an official announcement now. Don’t want us to have yet another modern day legend play their last game for us, to only have rumours of them leaving, like we had last season with Sharp and Stevens.

Hope there’s an official announcement now. Don’t want us to have yet another modern day legend play their last game for us, to only have rumours of them leaving, like we had last season with Sharp and Stevens.
Would be nice if the club could give Bash a testimonial in the summer and get the likes of Billy, Stevens, Norwood, Fleck etc back for a proper send off rather than a limp defeat to Spurs with half the ground having fucked off early.

Probably unlikely though given they will be joining up with other clubs pre season and won’t want to risk injury.

Always be welcomed when he visits. He was outstanding for us in the past and was key to what we achieved. It’s a shame really that some peoples memories are now coloured by more recent performances.

Would be nice if the club could give Bash a testimonial in the summer and get the likes of Billy, Stevens, Norwood, Fleck etc back for a proper send off rather than a limp defeat to Spurs with half the ground having fucked off early.

Probably unlikely though given they will be joining up with other clubs pre season and won’t want to risk injury.
It won't happen yet, but if there was ever a 2016-2020 group testimonial, I would pay good money to be there.

Having said that, I wouldn't have been against him staying for another year as back up, just to see us through this transitional period

Nothing says getting through a transitional period like extending a player we shouldn't have extended 12 months ago

Always remember the Goal he scored away at Brentford, i was on my way home from the airport and we were on the Radio sadly the comms didn't do it justice what a strike !

I think we'd all prefer someone younger to fill the void, but we know that we have to bring in several midfielders already probably, as well as all the other positions. It's impossible to get them all right and on our budget, some of them will be gambles.

As I say, I think the time is right anyway, I just wouldn't be against it if they did offer him a short term contract.
Not sure we need a lot of recruitment in midfield, it's probably our strongest area in the team we could have for next season but we do need to inject a bit of quality into the midfield though.

Most of the recruitment for me will have to be in defence and the goalkeepers.

Closest I have seen to Cowans, brilliant player who like everyone else lost the battle against Father Time

As everyone says, good luck to him hope he finds his feet anywhere but that shithole in S6

As well as the overlapping Basham and O'Connell, Norwood was a key component in the success of Wilderball when it was at its fluent best. It was he who was the one who had the awareness to fill the once occupied space when the CBs went on safari upfield.

Very few have been able to ping a single cross field or diagonal pass that has so effectively scythed though an entire team to release a teammate in an attacking move.

At his best, so were we - he ran the show. But it's time, and has been for a while. Too much pointing and not enough productivity and his costly misjudged challenges can now be a thing of the past.

I wish him well, and regard him as one of our better midfielders of recent times.

Always remember the Goal he scored away at Brentford, i was on my way home from the airport and we were on the Radio sadly the comms didn't do it justice what a strike !
Was just about to post the same

Back
Top Bottom