Outgoing? Oliver Norwood

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He’s been class for us and it’s sad it’s been allowed to get to the point where we’re mostly glad to see him leave.

GLTTL hope he gets a decent move. He’ll still be able to do a job in a less physically demanding role with a little more time on the ball.

Wish him all the best. Sadly, with time and progression, those who have been brilliant servants for the club have needed to be moved on but no-one can argue that he has been a vital player for us in our promotion and 9th placed finish in the Premier League. Really enjoyed his One Of Our Own podcast interview. Top professional and I really hope fans look back at his time with us and give him the nod he deserves.

Has been an amazing player for us. Played a big part even last season. It's not as if he's been pants for years. He has taken far too much flak imo. He always came across well in the media, and seems to be another good character moving on.

Sensible decision. In truth, 12 months too late. He has regressed a fair bit though and I struggle to see him being good enough for the Championship next season and I think he would be better served going to either league 1 or 2 and looking the part again. Something I advocated Billy to do when he left and game back from LA. He also should have gone to league 1 or 2 and carried on knocking in the goals rather than just getting splinters in his arse at Hull.

I wish Ollie well I'm his future endeavours and he goes with my thanks for all his efforts whilst with the Blades. But he simple has to be moved on. One of many I hope.

Hopefully a good sign too that the club finally recognise that you cannot just keep kicking the can down the road and that eventually, you do need to spend some proper money in obtaining younger replacements. You always need 'player churn' at a club to keep it fresh. Fingers crossed anyway.

Not a player I'll particularly miss.

When he first arrived and during that 9th place finish season he was fantastic, but since then he's been in decline and we should have replaced him two seasons ago.

My overall view of Norwood is that he is THE most consistently inconsistent player I've ever seen. When he's involved he runs the game. When teams figure out how to shut him out it's like we've got 10 me on the pitch. Far too hot and cold.

Thanks for the memories but time to move on. Sheffield United needs to look at the future and that means letting go of the past. Arguably half the reason we're in a mess this season is because we held onto players like Norwood when we had the chance to get rid, but we're too bloody sentimental at this club.

He just ran out of steam the back end of last season. But even then he was our best midfielder for the first 60% of it.

Struggled, like many in the relegation season but bounced back to extend his top flight career exceeding probably his own expectations.

A superb catalyst in the first promotion season, taking over from where Paul Coutts had excelled and then some.

During that 9th placed finish he was the Premier League King of Ping!

His defensive contributions were often overlooked where he was usually near the top of the stats. But that’s because his passing was generational, and it could be a long time until we see a player who can control the flight and direction of a ball so much over long distances like he could. His cross field passes to Baldock particularly stick in the memory.

Good luck to him. I’m sure he’ll be back as a fan by all accounts (perhaps the kids are Blades?) after eking out a few more years.

He just ran out of steam the back end of last season. But even then he was our best midfielder for the first 60% of it.

Struggled, like many in the relegation season but bounced back to extend his top flight career exceeding probably his own expectations.

A superb catalyst in the first promotion season, taking over from where Paul Coutts had excelled and then some.

His defensive contributions were often overlooked where he was usually near the top of the stats. But that’s because his passing was generational, and it could be a long time until we see a player who can control the flight and direction of a ball so much over long distances like he could. His cross field passes to Baldock particularly stick in the memory.

Good luck to him. I’m sure he’ll be back as a fan by all accounts (perhaps the kids are Blades?) after eking out a few more years.

That pass to Baldock in the 5-2 win against Burnley was simpleh luvleh.

For me, he's the player that was most vital to the machine that was peak tuftyball. And therein lay the problem, no-one else could fill that role. if he didn't play or was rubbish, the team was rubbish.

What a player he was for the first few years! He was great for the first half of last season too. I'm sure when the dust settles a lot of people will remember him much more fondly than their current opinions similar to Fleck, Norwood was one of the best midfielders of recent times imo.

Reactions: BV

It's funny really but because when I look back, if you ask me who would I rather have kept, Norwood or Coutts, I'd rather have Coutts.

Good servant for us, sadly he's not up to top championship, let alone premiership football nowadays, he should have moved on 2 years ago imo. Would do a decent job at Birmingham or Barnsley GLTTL

Will be a shame when hes gone as hes been brilliant for us but sadly father time catches up with all of us and hes been in decline for a couple of years. I hope he goes to someone like rotherham and bosses league 1. Ill wish him all the best when ever he comes back, and by the way what a fcking ping

What a player he’s been for us. Deffo a blades legend.

Seen so many blades on twitter saying we should keep him. This is the problem though, we have held onto players like Norwood for far too long. We should have brought in a replacement to do the Norwood role seasons ago.

Clearly it’s down to us not having the money but this is what has held us back. Sticking with the old boys rather than upgrading.

What a player he’s been for us. Deffo a blades legend.

Seen so many blades on twitter saying we should keep him. This is the problem though, we have held onto players like Norwood for far too long. We should have brought in a replacement to do the Norwood role seasons ago.

Clearly it’s down to us not having the money but this is what has held us back. Sticking with the old boys rather than upgrading.
The argument about Championship experience is a credible one, and in a season that we'll likely be spending little, maybe an extra year isn't the worst thing in the world. BUT, it's about our intention going forward and taking a team into the Premier League that can compete in it across the board. The wages and spot in the first team, in my opinion, would be better placed for a young midfielder who can grow as a player along with the team. Wilder was pretty stern after the Newcastle game that "we will 100%" get it right in the summer and moving on a lot of the players that have got stick from the fans this season seems his only option to start with.

It's funny really but because when I look back, if you ask me who would I rather have kept, Norwood or Coutts, I'd rather have Coutts.

Coutts is one of my all time favourites. What a player he was.

We were very different with Coutts. His game was very much pass and move, little triangles and move up the pitch in stages. Beautiful to watch. Comfortable in possession no matter what.

Norwood came in and was a huge upgrade over Lee Evans in terms of plugging the hole left by Coutts. He was much more of a quarterback playing the long diagonal balls and spreading the play to use the width.

Coutts was easier on the eye. I’m not sure who was more effective - especially thinking about the premier league 9th place finish. A main part of our strength that season was using the width and the overlapping CB’s to overload. Norwood helped do that quickly with the long diagonals.

I guess I think Coutts was better to watch in a more technical side but I don’t know if we’d have been as effective at the higher level with him over Norwood. For that season Norwood was immense and the system just clicked.

I’m still gutted Coutts didn’t get to play in the prem for us.

Back
Top Bottom