Norwood

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Watched Norwood on MOTD after seeing Bergen Blade screenshots he was the cause of a lot of our poor defending our centre backs being pulled out of position because he was as much use as a traffic cone. If Wilder didn't know it then he does now we can't be playing Norwood at this level, not sure about the next level down either.

Doyle showed what Norwood was lacking in the Championship.

Doyle showed what Norwood was lacking in the Championship.
And yet Hecky gave him a new deal and Wilder still picks him. It's baffling.

We don't create chances because we don't retain possession. We concede too many goals because the midfield fail to protect the defence and team run through them unopposed.

How does Wilder address these issues? Sign a striker and goalkeeper and we're after a centre back.

Why are we not after midfielders? Why do we play 3 up top when the midfield needs more bodies to close the spaces that teams are running through?

It's utter madness.

And yet Hecky gave him a new deal and Wilder still picks him. It's baffling.

We don't create chances because we don't retain possession. We concede too many goals because the midfield fail to protect the defence and team run through them unopposed.

How does Wilder address these issues? Sign a striker and goalkeeper and we're after a centre back.

Why are we not after midfielders? Why do we play 3 up top when the midfield needs more bodies to close the spaces that teams are running through?

It's utter madness.

I think Norwood is someone who isn't staying. I think Wilder will just keep him around til his contract runs out.

He played today I assume because he wanted to save Souza for the next match. Hence why he gave Souza 10 minutes at the end of the game.

I agree we probably should be after a midfielder as well despite Wilder banging on about Tom Davies in every interview he does.

I think Norwood is someone who isn't staying. I think Wilder will just keep him around til his contract runs out.

He played today I assume because he wanted to save Souza for the next match. Hence why he gave Souza 10 minutes at the end of the game.

I agree we probably should be after a midfielder as well despite Wilder banging on about Tom Davies in every interview he does.
Given that other teams can sign 16 of our players now for next season, it'll be interesting to know how many have been in talks with other clubs, if anyone is even bothered in them. Or maybe their agents have told them not to speak to anyone until we know for definite that we're not staying up.

I'd rather Wilder told some that they're surplus now, if they agree a pre-contract then let them go out on loan to their new clubs now. Build for next season now.

The waiver system in the NHL would be so good in January. You place a player on waivers and another team can have them for free, but the proviso is that they have to take on the remainder of their contract. It's such a good system for getting rid of players and reducing wage bills, as well as picking up players for free. Essentially you can get a player for the rest of the season and then either release them in the summer when the contract runs out or offer them a new deal, unless they have 18 months left, where you'll keep them for another season, or sell them.

Given that other teams can sign 16 of our players now for next season, it'll be interesting to know how many have been in talks with other clubs, if anyone is even bothered in them. Or maybe their agents have told them not to speak to anyone until we know for definite that we're not staying up.

I'd rather Wilder told some that they're surplus now, if they agree a pre-contract then let them go out on loan to their new clubs now. Build for next season now.

The waiver system in the NHL would be so good in January. You place a player on waivers and another team can have them for free, but the proviso is that they have to take on the remainder of their contract. It's such a good system for getting rid of players and reducing wage bills, as well as picking up players for free. Essentially you can get a player for the rest of the season and then either release them in the summer when the contract runs out or offer them a new deal, unless they have 18 months left, where you'll keep them for another season, or sell them.

That would be good to have that system. It would allow us to offload Fleck and Norwood earlier.

He’s one whose status and history at the club lend itself to wages he can no longer really justify. He’s been one of the best midfielders in recent times.

He’ll be 33 by the end of this season. We can’t rely on a player who therefore will be 34, already showing issues with a lack of mobility and paying him close to 20k per week.

It’s probably time for the young blood to take over. So it makes sense for Norwood to step out of the midfield options and Arblaster to step in. That’s not to say he comes strength in the side. I’d be happy for Hamer to take over Norwood’s role. He’s 27, coming to his prime, but for that reason I don’t see a big bid coming for him.

You could argue that Brooks and Hamer plus one more is already a promising midfield. Now it may be Brooks, Hamer and Arblaster. It may be Brooks, Souza and Hamer, plus of course Chris will not sit idle and sign nobody. He also seems to mention Davies often, so perhaps he will play a part if he can remain fit.

But it just feels like the end of the line where Norrington-Davies should be preferred over Osborn, Brooks should be preferred over Osborn and Fleck and Hamer and Arblaster should come in over Norwood.

We should be able to look at decent loans to pad this out and there will be some frees where we can offer competitive wages.

Just feels like now is the time to say thanks and to let the young blood grab the nettle.

Last edited:
My only worry is what I noticed when he was taking part in the warm up the other week - he is noticeably smaller and lighter than Osborn. Not seen him play yet so it’s a somewhat rash and premature take from me - but I worry he will need to be truly superb in other respects of his game to bridge the athleticism gap of his small stature.
Oh so he is fit now then?

It's no coincidence that Norwood has featured in every hammering we've had this season and that anel and bogle went to pieces with him and Osborn as protection
Midfield two should be hamer and souza but gamer looks well off match fitness
We need to bring in another def mid
I'd be tempted to play anel there if we bring in another centre back but would prefer a chukunwema type if available on loan

He’s one whose status and history at the club lend itself to wages he can no longer really justify. He’s been one of the best midfielders in recent times.

He’ll be 33 by the end of this season. We can’t rely on a player who therefore will be 34, already showing issues with a lack of mobility and paying him close to 20k per week.

It’s probably time for the young blood to take over. So it makes sense for Norwood to step out of the midfield options and Arblaster to step in. That’s not to say he comes strength in the side. I’d be happy for Hamer to take over Norwood’s role. He’s 27, coming to his prime, but for that reason I don’t see a big bid coming for him.

You could argue that Brooks and Hamer plus one more is already a promising midfield. Now it may be Brooks, Hamer and Arblaster. It may be Brooks, Souza and Hamer, plus of course Chris will not sit idle and sign nobody. He also seems to mention Davies often, so perhaps he will play a part if he can remain fit.

But it just feels like the end of the line where Norrington-Davies should be preferred over Osborn, Brooks should be preferred over Osborn and Fleck and Hamer and Arblaster should come in over Norwood.

We should be able to look at decent loans to pad this out and there will be some frees where we can offer competitive wages.

Just feels like now is the time to say thanks and to let the young blood grab the nettle.
Spot on. And yet that scenario could have kicked in a couple of seasons back as that situation has not changed regarding Norwood, Fleck and Osborn.

Very few of the 16 players out of contract in the summer will be playing at a level above mid-table Championship next season……maybe McBurnie(but think he’ll go to Rangers)…..maybe a Prem team will take a punt on Jebbison …. Aside from that the rest are either ‘past their best’ or have history of injury.

Very few of the 16 players out of contract in the summer will be playing at a level above mid-table Championship next season……maybe McBurnie(but think he’ll go to Rangers)…..maybe a Prem team will take a punt on Jebbison …. Aside from that the rest are either ‘past their best’ or have history of injury.
If mcburnie was going to rangers surely he would have signed already

Back
Top Bottom