CONFIRMED Oliver Burke

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No probably not but there aren’t too many clubs that have been out of the top flight for as long as us getting promoted to the PL. Then you get us last year and Leeds this year.

The only other candidates I can think of are Chelsea and City immediately after they got loaded.

The only other candidates I can think of are Chelsea and City immediately after they got loaded.
That was last century. Football finance has changed hugely since then. I don’t think either of those has been out of the top flight for more than ten successive years in ‘modern times’.

Anyway, this is a thread about Burke, not how many angels can dance on the head of a pin and we shouldn’t hijack it.

That was last century. Football finance has changed hugely since then. I don’t think either of those has been out of the top flight for more than ten successive years in ‘modern times’.

Anyway, this is a thread about Burke, not how many angels can dance on the head of a pin and we shouldn’t hijack it.

I meant as likely candidates for so many record breaking signings so close together, not as big clubs outside the top flight, but yes, let's leave it there.

I posted this on the rumour mill, but any excuse to watch it again...

View attachment 91104

Our new number 14 making twats out of 2 Real Madrid defenders... he basically Tokyo-drifts around them, which I didn’t think was a thing a human could do.

Looks amazing! Tell him to do that, but don't pass it or shoot and he should be o.k. ;)

It's odd that both are gone inside a year though (odd in the sense that it can't be very common). No-one has come up with any other examples, although I must compliment everyone with coming up withe creative ways of saying 'I don't know'.

As I've said repeatedly, no criticism was implied, however widely inferred.

Im sure I heard Wilder give an interview about Freeman’s departure.
He explained the original intention was to play with two number 10’s....with Freeman being one of them
but tactics were changed early in the season meaning Freeman couldn’t get many games.

Regards Robinson the plan was to use him more centrally but he never looked comfortable coming inside,
At West Brom he goes back out on the wing and performs much better....Wilder hasnt been using wingers....so Robinson’s strength isnt required here.

Im sure I heard Wilder give an interview about Freeman’s departure.
He explained the original intention was to play with two number 10’s....with Freeman being one of them
but tactics were changed early in the season meaning Freeman couldn’t get many games.

Regards Robinson the plan was to use him more centrally but he never looked comfortable coming inside,
At West Brom he goes back out on the wing and performs much better....Wilder hasnt been using wingers....so Robinson’s strength isnt required here.

And yet Burke is a winger isn’t he?

Ohh the irony of your post. Try backing up the negative bull that you spew....... 'straight swap deal? If so, it seems like we've been shafted.' I'll wait......

It was a question, clappy mcclapface, which several people kindly answered (as I couldn't watch the video)

Presumably, we were looking to recoup what we paid for Robinson and we also got a couple of quid so the valuation of Burke would have likely been more than we'd ever paid for a player less than two seasons ago.

Yet, one of our most expensive signings of all time is considered a joke by the supporters of the club we signed him from and his country. A player who considers his primary position to be a winger but can also play as a striker.

The lad has clearly got talent and the right attributes. He might come good but on the face of it I don't think it's unfair to put a question mark next to the signing.

Answer me this, if Villa or Fulham has paid £5 million plus to sign him, would everyone on here be laughing at them?

If he can do that over the page against Real Madrid :D for us who cares where he plays ?

He interviews well, don't know why I expect Scottish players to actually be Scottish now, but always surprising when you expect Taggart and get Lewis.

Let's hope he takes this chance, he's certainly got something about him - just needs to produce it regularly.

Let's sign another striker though just in case...

Yeah. But demonstrates his character and what he is and isn't capable of.

You said in this thread (unless I'm mixing posters up?) that you like to have your opinion changed - I admire that. However, you seem happy to die on a hill in regards to your opinion of Ravel.

The article you found was from 5 years ago, the latest article about him is the one in the athletic, which actually mentions the progress he's made as a person and puts his failure to make the grade here down to the tactical change we made.

I think it's fair to say he certainly was disruptive, and had a poor attitude. However, since his time in Sweden, all the current evidence points to the fact that he's doing ok, satisfying his managers, with only the occasional late fine blotting his copybook.

He didn't work out here, it's a shame, but its life. Let's try and avoid making assumptions about what type of person he is based on old news articles and gossip.

WBA Fans celebrating they have got rid of him 😕 ,the only thing they have said good about him is that he has loads of pace saying he should have been a sprinter , but no football ability , may be a gamble by Chris we shall see !

You said in this thread (unless I'm mixing posters up?) that you like to have your opinion changed - I admire that. However, you seem happy to die on a hill in regards to your opinion of Ravel.

The article you found was from 5 years ago, the latest article about him is the one in the athletic, which actually mentions the progress he's made as a person and puts his failure to make the grade here down to the tactical change we made.

I think it's fair to say he certainly was disruptive, and had a poor attitude. However, since his time in Sweden, all the current evidence points to the fact that he's doing ok, satisfying his managers, with only the occasional late fine blotting his copybook.

He didn't work out here, it's a shame, but its life. Let's try and avoid making assumptions about what type of person he is based on old news articles and gossip.
I said in a later post the using the word disruption and told the other guy he was correct. The term perhaps I should have used was that RM didn’t fit our ethos.

I said in a later post the using the word disruption and told the other guy he was correct. The term perhaps I should have used was that RM didn’t fit our ethos.

Sorry mate, I missed that.

And I think that's a lot more fair. Sometimes these things just dont work out for genuine reasons.

That's my fear. Old saying is the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. He's gone to a couple of decent sized clubs with a chunky fee and high expectations and thus finds himself swapped for Calum Robinson...

Is he the PL incarnation of Nathan Thomas?

Fingers crossed he's more from the John Fleck/Paul Coutts reclamation project than the Ravel Morrison /Jack Rodwell side...

Jury out for me.

Indeed, the jury is out so Burke has to get his finger out - there is no hiding from our fans as some of them can be brutal.

Bob Booker didn't start off well and went to real endear himself to the fans.

CW has said a few times "We are teachers of footballers" and their reputation now goes before them when signing players like Burke.

If Burke wants to achieve, he can do it at SUFC.

UTB

But if you take a punt and it doesn't work out, surely its better to cut your losses and get rid rather than stubbornly soldier on?
Exactly mate. Like when we binned off Lee Evans and Leonard, replacing them with Oli Norwood. The rest is history.

And yet Burke is a winger isn’t he?

True.....but assume he’ll be asking him to play more centrally.
Bale and Ronaldo were originally wingers but have had great success playing more centrally.

Robinson never looked comfortable playing centrally....he always preferred to start out on the wing then come inside with the ball.
Assume Wilder has a clear plan how to use Burke and has already told him why he’s wanted here.
We‘ll see if he’s able to adapt...at least Burke has more physicality, size, height and pace than Robinson...so it’s a good start.

True.....but assume he’ll be asking him to play more centrally.
Bale and Ronaldo were originally wingers but have had great success playing more centrally.

Robinson never looked comfortable playing centrally....he always preferred to start out on the wing then come inside with the ball.
Assume Wilder has a clear plan how to use Burke and has already told him why he’s wanted here.
We‘ll see if he’s able to adapt...at least Burke has more physicality, size, height and pace than Robinson...so it’s a good start.

I hope you’re right but it’s Groundhog Day. We’ve swapped a player who prefers to play wide rather than up top for one who does the same thing and has a markedly worse scoring record. It’s an odd move and I struggle to see how it addresses our lack of goals.

I hope you’re right but it’s Groundhog Day. We’ve swapped a player who prefers to play wide rather than up top for one who does the same thing and has a markedly worse scoring record. It’s an odd move and I struggle to see how it addresses our lack of goals.

Agree mate....it does seem a strange one...Wilder has always struggled with wingers
I’m only assuming that Wilder MUST have a plan which has already been discussed with Burke.
Woukd love to know what Wilder has told him about our playing tactics for next season.

Back
Top Bottom