CONFIRMED Oliver Burke

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I hope you’re right but it’s Groundhog Day. We’ve swapped a player who prefers to play wide rather than up top for one who does the same thing and has a markedly worse scoring record. It’s an odd move and I struggle to see how it addresses our lack of goals.
Patience, all will be revealed. Lets not lose the 'togetherness' the Blades family has built over the last few years.
Admit my confidence wavered at the end of last season. With the signings, feel more confident we will have a fair to good season and anything better is a bonus. Keep the faith, everyone. UTB.

If Burke (generally) is a right wing type player, CWAK might be considering moving to a 343 system if we (a) actually want to proactively change from 352 to 343 during a game or (b) change to 343 if we need to chase a game.

352 is not written in stone as we used to play 3412 previous to last season.

CWAK don't stand still with thier own development - they'll be cooking up some sort of plan - they always do.

UTB

I hope you’re right but it’s Groundhog Day. We’ve swapped a player who prefers to play wide rather than up top for one who does the same thing and has a markedly worse scoring record. It’s an odd move and I struggle to see how it addresses our lack of goals.
I’ve seen Burke play better than I’ve ever seen Robinson. I’ve no idea if he’ll ever reach that standard again but at the least he’s bigger, stronger and faster than Robinson.

One for the grey beards this. Wasn't Bill Dearden a winger at Chester before we signed him in 1970 & then he played up-front for us?
Yes, and he was one of the most honest, hard working front line players we ever had. If players were paid for effort alone he would have been up there with the very best.

For me, too much shit has gone in the past with Burke and the clubs he has been with, in a way that he was hunting for something and hasn't found it yet.

This is a new start for him - Steve Clarke the Scotland manager said he needed a home and some love.

He'll get both here with us, as long as he gets his head down, gives us the 100% that we all demand and just try and get better.

Potentially we have a gem - does he want it enough?

It really is all down to himself and where he wants to go.

UTB
That’s the first impression I got when watching his interview on signing...seems a lad that needs to be loved and wanted 🥰. Hope he does the business...it will be good for both of us (him and the blades of course) ⚔️

On the winger talk, what happened with Duffy, Chapman and Thomas is that they were signed with the intention of being number 10s. Considering we don't play a 10, the comparisons aren't really relevant. All the signs point to Burke being signed as forward.

We desperately need to take some of the pressure of Mousset, another player who can run the channels when we're under pressure and looking to break. Hopefully Burke can be that player.

I bet he doesn’t play much then moves on 21/22 season. UNLESS he is played up front centre.

If Burke (generally) is a right wing type player, CWAK might be considering moving to a 343 system if we (a) actually want to proactively change from 352 to 343 during a game or (b) change to 343 if we need to chase a game.

352 is not written in stone as we used to play 3412 previous to last season.

CWAK don't stand still with thier own development - they'll be cooking up some sort of plan - they always do.

UTB

I've seen someway this morning Burke saying that he is here to play as a striker.
I'm guessing that is what CW has told him not his own opinion

Just watched the BTS video of Burke's signing. Comes across as a decent chap. Has a laugh with the media team (natural, not forced) contrary to WBA fans views of him being toxic and arrogant. Let's hope he kicks on with a fresh start.

Is this a straight swap deal? If so, it seems like we've been shafted.

Another failure project. They tend to go nowhere. But I guess we know Robinson won't work so I guess nothing to lose other than money.
Right barrel of laughs you are. Cheer the hell up for christs sake!!

Just watched the BTS video of Burke's signing. Comes across as a decent chap. Has a laugh with the media team (natural, not forced) contrary to WBA fans views of him being toxic and arrogant. Let's hope he kicks on with a fresh start.

Yeah, seems like a decent guy. Hopefully a bit of tlc and the chance to prove himself and he could recover that Forest form because he did look a huge prospect at that point in his career.

Now he’s onboard I’m eager to see what he can do for us. I think he will get opportunities with our other strikers fitness issues atm, and he can provide another element to our attack.

Brighton, Villa and Fulham have billionaire owners. I think Wilder knows what he's got to deal with and is OK with it.
Unless you've got a couple of hundred million you don't mind losing, in which case I'm sure he'd gladly take it.

Agree Bob, and most importantly I think that Wilder also realises that he's got something at United that many managers would love to have.

It's not simply his achievements, which in the time he's been here have been staggering, but it's how, through intelligent building he's grasped what this club needs but only when it was possible. Initially Wilder went for a 'buy British only' policy, simply because he knew what he'd get (with the odd exception) and in doing so he was able to spot a potentially good player that could improve under his and Knill's guidance. The fact that this has happened on ridiculously low budgets makes everything that's happened even more amazing. I think he knows his worth, but only so far as it doesn't get confused with arrogance. What he's built is something I genuinely thought I might never see at United, but under such astute guidance we are now a decent Prem club. None of which guarantees us continued success but it does suggest that with the same critical focus we stand a good chance of watching good, sometimes great, football whilst remaining in the top tier.

His stock is high, and it's this that underpins his relentless drive to improve, to bring in better players, to improve the the infrastructure, and in doing so not tolerate the type of interference that might happen at other clubs. But I should stress that this has all been achieved by hard work, great talent, and a very down to earth approach to his staff, the players, and being able to plan going forward......after all, what's the point on dwelling on the past when there's plenty of wok still to be done?

Just watched the YT “behind the scenes"video, and from what people were saying combined with the miserable looking photos doing the rounds, I was a bit worried over this signing.
Seem to me he’s a decent enough lad, came across ok, maybe not in the Berge mould, but fine. He seems to quite like the setup and the stadium.
He’s going to either be a bit of a damp squib, or end up a cult hero. He might just fit in right away and the fans take a shine to him. GLTTL.

What does need clarification though, is why in the film when he swaps his team shirt he has a tattoo on his chest of Gene Wilder and a lion? Surely he could have had the right Wilder done. Take a look 3:29 into the vid. Strange....mmmmm

I'm warming to the lad. He doesn't come across as thick as folk make out and perhaps centre forward is his natural slot. He's here so I'm going to back him 100%. I would love nothing more than to see him prove his doubters wrong, bang in a hat full goals and cement his place in the team. UTB!

Just watched the YT “behind the scenes"video, and from what people were saying combined with the miserable looking photos doing the rounds, I was a bit worried over this signing.

My favourite part of the video is Wilder taking the piss out of the photographers/media lot. “taken him round the back have you? Gonna stick a bit of rap music on again?”

Never fail to be gob smacked by some on this board,
You got folk that spend months complaining about the clubs failure to bring anyone in, then as soon as they do they fill the board with complaints about who they are and what other "well wishers" say they've done in the past !!!!!
They should know by now there are absolutely no guarantees or certainties with anyone the club brings in, no matter what their supposed history is or how much they cost,
So Like Mr Wilder all we can do now is sit back and give the lads our unbiased support and a chance to show what they can do......

Yes, and he was one of the most honest, hard working front line players we ever had. If players were paid for effort alone he would have been up there with the very best.
Billy Dearden scored plenty of goals in the top division , many of them from being extremely brave about launching his relatively slight figure up against big beefy CBs. One of Harris's very astute signings.

Who are defences more likely to be wary of, Robinson or a big fucker with pace
He's our Traore - you are not going to knock him off the ball - if you want to stop him you will have to foul him.
And defenders can't take the risk of letting him run into their box coz it just might be that rare occasion when he gets as shot on target.
We've been crying out for someone to run with the ball at defences + create some panic.
We have become too predictable in our slow build-up down the flanks.
This bloke offers something we don't have.

Back
Top Bottom