Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So was Bert at both games. It was indeed a lively afternoon under that stand on the Pop Side.
somehow the 4 of us that went that day alongside another couple of dozen blades had tickets for derbys side of the pop side terrace bit hairy that was until police allowed us to climb over wall and move in to uniteds side got pelted with allsorts as we moved along pitchside lol

The advert on the left of the pic will get the conspiracy theorists going - COVONIA is almost an anagram of our current coughing disease. Isn’t that advert exactly where you used to sit? I think we should be told...
My seat was between coughs and Head for Houseleys. Mike England's head blocking my seat. I wasnt at the match as I was at boarding school that weekend also there were petrol shortages at the time. My dad would have been there with his workmate's son

In Search of Alan Gilzean

Now, that was a class player

There were also League ladders. It was basically a card with slots into which you placed the teams in your division . You could move them up and down each week according to the results

View attachment 98914
Yeah,remember these now,got them free inside The Victor comic,which came out every Monday?. Equivalent to today’s I pad.

Sad to hear that about Tom . I had a friend who was in his class at De la Salle along with Dennis Finnegan who also played for us .

In respect of the latter , I remember him telling me that at the age of 15 Dennis was built like a fully grown man and played for the First Xl which was normally made up of 17-18 year olds . He told me that he played centre forward and scored over 50 goals in one season and was virtually unstoppable .

My friend said he could never understand why when he joined us , someone had the bright idea of converting a player with such an astonishing goal scoring background into a centre half .

This friend was someone who knew a player when he saw one and expressed the view on more than one occasion that if Dennis had been developed in his natural role , he could have gone on to be as good or even better than Mick Jones .

Sadly , we’ll never know if he was right but the whole thing does sound extraordinary .
I recall that in one season Finnigan did play centre forward for the reserves, I presume they were short of forwards at the time and yes he did score a fair number of goals.
Graham Shaw, his first teams days were over, played up front with him !

Many thanks and with knowledge like that I’m sure you must have other stories that would be of interest to me and the other more mature members of this forum ( aka coffin dodgers ).

That being the case , I think an increase in your posting record of 104 in 7 years would be of benefit to all concerned .

Go to it , there’s a good chap . :)

Devonshire St / Broomhall St, Feb 1984.
The former Wharncliffe Fireclay works.
A Grade II listed building.👍

View attachment 99028
What a fantastic building, well worth a look at if you're in the vicinity, I used to walk past on my way to work many years ago, I always said good morning to the two face's peering down from just below the guttering. I believe it was turned into flats, who lives in a house like that.
I presume it's still there

Broadfield Road, June 1985.
The old dairy, (by then, cowless) discussed before on here.
Also what was I believe the old nursery.
I have, lurking in the back of my mind, a vague, rather uneasy feeling about this place. I'm pretty sure I spent some of my toddler childhood in there in the mid 1950's.
Not that it's affected me much.🤪

Express Dairy Broadfield Rd Jun 1985.jpg

Broadfield Rd Express Dairy cowless Jun 1985.jpg

Broadfield Rd Old nursery June 1985.jpg

My first pair. Stanley Matthews Top Dogs. 6 wooden studs on each boot. Felt like 10 men when I got them. Could hardly walk but boy could you wellie the ball if you caught it right.
How did they get away with the three stripes? An exact copy of you know who, who's registered trade mark was the 3 stripes.

Boots 1950,s-Manfield-Hotspur-large.jpgThese are the first boots I bought with my own money. Previously wore rugby boots (lighter than the football boots of the day) which I eventually cut the tops off when the 'continental' style boots were worn by the pros.

Broadfield Road, June 1985.
The old dairy, (by then, cowless) discussed before on here.
Also what was I believe the old nursery.
I have, lurking in the back of my mind, a vague, rather uneasy feeling about this place. I'm pretty sure I spent some of my toddler childhood in there in the mid 1950's.
Not that it's affected me much.🤪

View attachment 99252

View attachment 99253

View attachment 99254
Yes, I can remember the white prefab building in the early 50's. My mother used to sometimes take us with her to the public laundry or wash house as we called it. It must have stood in the gap between the swimming baths and the nursery. It was a frightening place for young children, every piece of machinery was run by steam, all the women wore turbans and plnifore's and swore and smoked a lot.

Back
Top Bottom