Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Do you remember Dowdswell (keith)? Head of PE, did nothing but practice his golf shots on the top pitches. Think he had something to do with scouting players for Chesterfield. My memory isn't what it was but I'm sure Bate was still there 80/81.
I left in 78 ,our PE teachers were Bate (twat) Wilkinson (Peado) Dowdswell (nonentity) and Hague who was only interested in running as he was a runner and Seb Coe was in the 6th form. I played for the first 11 and our football coach was Mr Poore the chemistry teacher who was a brilliant guy but not eager.

Household textiles also believe any thing made of cloth of one sort or another and probably most household requirements. West Bar was the centre of such emporiums. Bradford Woollens was another large warehouse and there were other smaller warehouse establishments in the area. Where Bradford Woollens was situated originally I cannot remember but they eventually took over the Don Cinema mid 50's. It's a storage for hire place now. The Don was next to the Mosley Arms which is now a solicitor's I'm told.
If anyone is interested in "artistry in burnt clay", Lacey's old building is a delight, and well worth the once over.
Was Six Spices Indian restaurant in a basement somewhere in that area?

Was Six Spices Indian restaurant in a basement somewhere in that area?

Alvin Kallicharran owned one somewhere there.
Bert was just coming out one night when he pulled up in his Jag, registration number ALV 1N.

Bert was just coming out one night when he pulled up in his Jag, registration number ALV 1N.
Other side of the road from the Fire Service museum.

Sorry to stray off topic Bert, but I've got to comment, what a cricketer, such an elegant batsman, although controversy seemed to follow him around what with the Tony Greig run out and joining the Kerry Packer circus. I believe he also later played in South Africa, which many believe to have been ill judged a

They use to be a programme shop on west bar.run by a Blade Alan.
Sadly he passed away some years ago. nice fella.

Also one lad on the front row who played for United Youth team, another who played for Sheffield Boys, one who played for England Schoolboys and one who is the father of Sophy Ridge from Sky TV.
Bert, you missed the one who is the father of Simon Stead, the former Sheffield Tigers Speedway rider.... Plus another one you know very well 😂😂72620903-23EE-40E6-B89C-7C2EF5B20E19 (1).jpeg

Bert, did you bowl him a "Bates shindig"?

Just had a bloke at the door, canvasing for a lottery to help support a Air Ambulance service soon to start for Sheffield, with new Heli pads being constructed at NGH, thought there was already one there, and the Hallamshire. Politely told him to FO and asked him if they needed any pilots, seemed to wrong foot him so shut the door, Cheek.

Just had a bloke at the door, canvasing for a lottery to help support a Air Ambulance service soon to start for Sheffield, with new Heli pads being constructed at NGH, thought there was already one there, and the Hallamshire. Politely told him to FO and asked him if they needed any pilots, seemed to wrong foot him so shut the door, Cheek.

There is a helipad at the NGH; my brother-in-law (RIP) was in charge of it for Henry Boot. So you did right to wrong foot this charlatan.

David Woodhouse
It was a joke as Tim Burgess is the singer in the Charlatans. I’m guessing David Woodhouse was your brother in law? Oddly, I did know a Dave Woodhouse back in the day. Think he went to King Ted’s, was from up Broomhill/Fulwood/Ranmoor area originally but had a flat on Whitham Road when I knew him. Not sure if it’s the same bloke. He was a bit eccentric but a really top lad.

It was a joke as Tim Burgess is the singer in the Charlatans. I’m guessing David Woodhouse was your brother in law? Oddly, I did know a Dave Woodhouse back in the day. Think he went to King Ted’s, was from up Broomhill/Fulwood/Ranmoor area originally but had a flat on Whitham Road when I knew him. Not sure if it’s the same bloke. He was a bit eccentric but a really top lad.

Well there you go. That just proves that my knowledge of music only goes so far!

Yes, David Woodhouse was my brother-in-law, the only Wednesday fan in the family. I believe he originally lived up Crookes way but when he married my sis in the 1990s they were living on Bingham Park Road and eventually moved to the posh bit of Dobcroft Road. A nicer bloke you couldn't wish to meet and so it was easy to forget his allegiances to the other lot. He was that rarity, a Wednesday fan who had a realistic outlook and with whom you could have a proper chat about football with.

Well there you go. That just proves that my knowledge of music only goes so far!

Yes, David Woodhouse was my brother-in-law, the only Wednesday fan in the family. I believe he originally lived up Crookes way but when he married my sis in the 1990s they were living on Bingham Park Road and eventually moved to the posh bit of Dobcroft Road. A nicer bloke you couldn't wish to meet and so it was easy to forget his allegiances to the other lot. He was that rarity, a Wednesday fan who had a realistic outlook and with whom you could have a proper chat about football with.
Sounds like a different Dave then as I don’t remember the one I knew being that into football or being a Wednesday fan. I certainly can’t imagine him living on Dobcroft Road either (although people change). Ironically he was the first person to point out to me how many people in Sheffield were called Dave.
I do remember he was into Sun Ra and the Arkestra which was some of the weirdest music I’d heard at the time. And dub reggae. In fact, he introduced me to dub reggae, Yellowman and Clint Eastwood and General Saint.

Sounds like a different Dave then as I don’t remember the one I knew being that into football or being a Wednesday fan. I certainly can’t imagine him living on Dobcroft Road either (although people change). Ironically he was the first person to point out to me how many people in Sheffield were called Dave.
I do remember he was into Sun Ra and the Arkestra which was some of the weirdest music I’d heard at the time. And dub reggae. In fact, he introduced me to dub reggae, Yellowman and Clint Eastwood and General Saint.

Definitely not the same one then!

What a long fucking winter that was . I never want to see the like of it again .

One abiding memory is that , even though no matches were played for what seemed like forever because of the frozen grounds , they kept on doing the FA Cup draw . So you would turn on the radio and hear some bloke solemnly pronouncing that the first draw out of the hat for the 5th round was , for example , “ Sheffield United or Chesterfield or Liverpool or Barnsley ...versus .... Chelsea or Blyth Spartans or Aston Villa or Wrexham .” :)

Back
Top Bottom