Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

These were issued at school to try and encourage kids to get involved with a free South stand ticket. I’d never been on South stand up til then, always on Kop or occasional John St.View attachment 98787
Interesting it says v Rochdale United. Misprint or were they called that? I always thought they were AFC Rochdale.

Taken from the star , who remembers those letters in the background , and at half time someone would put the scores up between them and you would look in the program to see the teams they represented , there were many a time when they put the wrong scores up next to the wrong letters 😂 , Jeez seems like a life time away now , such a different world to the one we live in today , no social media , no mobile phones , no working on Sundays , no fucking covid , Happy Days !

1606250982779.png

Taken from the star , who remembers those letters in the background , and at half time someone would put the scores up between them and you would look in the program to see the teams they represented , there were many a time when they put the wrong scores up next to the wrong letters 😂 , Jeez seems like a life time away now , such a different world to the one we live in today , no social media , no mobile phones , no working on Sundays , no fucking covid , Happy Days !

View attachment 98826
Clearing the snow from the pitch for our FA Cup 3rd round match against Aldershot in 1979

Remember walking up Woodhead Road after the match and a guy was running in the opposite direction telling everyone that the HMS Sheffield had been hit.
Was in the Royal Oak after the match and heard about HMS Sheffield. Few months earlier she'd visited Hull docks ( I think) and some of the crew came to Firth Brown.
We'd made some components, perhaps the steel for the gas turbine. Sad to think some of them may have been on board
More 4th Division fun!

View attachment 98794
4-1 Blades. Kenworthy got one.

View attachment 98826
If memory serves I think Wednesday where always letter A?.Could be wrong though

View attachment 98826

Bob Hatton driving the tractor.

Was in the Royal Oak after the match and heard about HMS Sheffield. Few months earlier she'd visited Hull docks ( I think) and some of the crew came to Firth Brown.
We'd made some components, perhaps the steel for the gas turbine. Sad to think some of them may have been on board

4-1 Blades. Kenworthy got one

5-1 he got 2

bbrescuebramlane.jpg
Back in the day ‘living ammo’ was fired by trebuchet in the general direction of S6

I remember being in The lansdowne one night and the rumour went round that the Argies and their allies had invaded the south coast. Sound ridiculous now ,but it was a scary time and plenty believed it. I was going at with a girl at the time and her brother was killed, he served on HMS Fearless. Very sad time .

GRIFFIN R. D. – South Atlantic Medal Association (82) (sama82.org.uk)

I remember being in The lansdowne one night and the rumour went round that the Argies and their allies had invaded the south coast. Sound ridiculous now ,but it was a scary time and plenty believed it.
Good job the Internet hadn’t been invented then - just think of the panic...

I remember the lead up to the invasion by the Argentinians being a final item on the news on the radio.

Didn't take much notice and had to think where the Falklands were. I thought initially they were up near Scotland.

Then of course the story grew and dominated our lives.

This year was similar. A small news story about some virus in Wuhan. Nobody really took much notice.

Millhouses tram/bus terminus May 1993.

It was in a sorry state by then, but the turning circle and the park opposite holds wonderful memories for me as a child more some 35- ish years earlier.
Incidentally, there are still a few original tram poles dotted around the city which I've noticed. No doubt someone will have already logged them all.
Incidentally, incidentally.. the newer bus stop you can see had a revolving section for the timetables.
My son tells me that as a young early teen lad he used to play a sort of "chicken" game with his mates whilst waiting for a bus to/from school. They'd spin the wheel, then nut it before it stopped. If they hit the seam which ran down the middle, they lost..or was it won?
Once a Blade, always a Blade.

Millhouses tram bus terminus May 1993.jpg

6 days after we beat Watford 3-0 in May 1971. Photo taken after we won 4-0 at Millmoor in the County Cup
Quite a few years later I had the dubious pleasure of using that bath after playing at Milmoor.

Silent did you attend that County Cup game? I have a recollection of the whistle blowing for half time & a player booted the ball high into the air (could also have been full time I guess), & as it came down Ted Hemsley was the nearest player & he shifted his body & in the most casual way trapped the ball with his bum! It might not have been that game but it is a vivid memory & I am sure it is not a trick of the mind.

Anyone remember when the fixtures came out the green had fixture list. for the local clubs.including Forest and Derby.if memory serves me right.
You had to get a pair of scissors to make a fixture book. in the sixties early seventies. I managed to get it right with my dad helping me. great excitement when I saw the fixtures.Southampton - home Leeds-Home.Everton -away-Arsenal-away. question for the younger Blades. what season was that? and the clue is we won all four games. great memories to treasure.

Anyone remember when the fixtures came out the green had fixture list. for the local clubs.including Forest and Derby.if memory serves me right.
You had to get a pair of scissors to make a fixture book. in the sixties early seventies. I managed to get it right with my dad helping me. great excitement when I saw the fixtures.Southampton - home Leeds-Home.Everton -away-Arsenal-away. question for the younger Blades. what season was that? and the clue is we won all four games. great memories to treasure.
Not a difficult question for the more mature Unitedite. :)

1,000 pages and well worth it.

Love this thread.
Was hoping to contribute on on the thousandth page, as a tribute to the whole of SU2 4SU and the fella who started this thread, but part of my life supersedes the rest and my attention had to be elsewhere.
Anyhow thanks Bert and ALL the admin for it all. Thank You.

Back
Top Bottom