Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Taken from the star , who remembers those letters in the background , and at half time someone would put the scores up between them and you would look in the program to see the teams they represented , there were many a time when they put the wrong scores up next to the wrong letters 😂 , Jeez seems like a life time away now , such a different world to the one we live in today , no social media , no mobile phones , no working on Sundays , no fucking covid , Happy Days !

View attachment 98826
remember that game went straight from dentist to the lane horrible 0 - 0 draw think we lost the replay 3 - 0

Clearing the snow from the pitch for our FA Cup 3rd round match against Aldershot in 1979
Weird to think that I'd have been a matter of hours old when that photo was taken, or maybe even still being pushed out if they were actually clearing it the day before the game.

Quite a few years later I had the dubious pleasure of using that bath after playing at Milmoor.

Silent did you attend that County Cup game? I have a recollection of the whistle blowing for half time & a player booted the ball high into the air (could also have been full time I guess), & as it came down Ted Hemsley was the nearest player & he shifted his body & in the most casual way trapped the ball with his bum! It might not have been that game but it is a vivid memory & I am sure it is not a trick of the mind.
Yes, I was at the County Cup match, it rained heavily that night, puddles on some parts of the pitch. Dont remember the goals or the Ted Hemsley incident

Was hoping to contribute on on the thousandth page, as a tribute to the whole of SU2 4SU and the fella who started this thread, but part of my life supersedes the rest and my attention had to be elsewhere.
Anyhow thanks Bert and ALL the admin for it all. Thank You.
There was even a photo of Bert back in this thread.

Early 1930s?
Looked up some att. around 1930, bearing in mind the wickets looked well worn making the game likely Aug/Sept. Also as the 1930's progress the depression hit att. hard. I found
1927-28 Sept 24 att. 42,512 V SWFC D 1-1 HT1-1 Tunstall
1929-30 Sept 28 att. 47,039 V SWFC D 2-2 HT1-2 Tunstall-2
1930-31 Sept 6 att. 36,738 V SWFC D 1-1 HT0-1 S Gibson
Clue to dating the photo, it appears JSS has been reroofed, shows white, probably corrugated asbestos sheets.
Take your pick.

Anyone remember when the fixtures came out the green had fixture list. for the local clubs.including Forest and Derby.if memory serves me right.
You had to get a pair of scissors to make a fixture book. in the sixties early seventies. I managed to get it right with my dad helping me. great excitement when I saw the fixtures.Southampton - home Leeds-Home.Everton -away-Arsenal-away. question for the younger Blades. what season was that? and the clue is we won all four games. great memories to treasure.
There were also League ladders. It was basically a card with slots into which you placed the teams in your division . You could move them up and down each week according to the results

IMG_0403.JPG

was at this game bert on the kop what a performance a sign of things to come 2 great headers pity we didnt carry it on at the baseball ground in round 4 although a very tasty afternoon on the pop side lol
So was Bert at both games. It was indeed a lively afternoon under that stand on the Pop Side.

There were also League ladders. It was basically a card with slots into which you placed the teams in your division . You could move them up and down each week according to the results

View attachment 98914
These go back to my time as a kid and probably before that.
I had one, maybe through 'Tiger' comic early 50,s.

View attachment 98914

Saturday night entertainment with the Green 'Un as a point of reference.

Great, innocent days pre-internet.

Back
Top Bottom