Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Isn't that the precinct at Manor Top? If it is, there used to be a Fred Hartley discount motor spares shop there. Also, have vague memories of a Chinese takeaway where Playland is in the photo.
Correct. I used to frequent the Elm Tree (occasionally, when I was feeling brave) and the Chinese was the last stop before our bus ride home.

I can't remember this cinema, but I think I recognise the monument with the stocks at the bottom. I'm guessing Woodhouse? I think the Cross Daggers was just to the right, out of shot.

Yes indeed. In the photo below, the person taking the Palace Cinema photo was probably stood just in front of the benches by the side of the Cross Daggers.

5a44e3a08d3db_SLS024-CrossDaggersRestaurantChurchLaneWoodhouse-07-02-1977.jpg.6b6771190f9e6c4f...jpg

Correct. I used to frequent the Elm Tree (occasionally, when I was feeling brave) and the Chinese was the last stop before our bus ride home.
Always remember seeing a sign on the wall in the Elm Tree tap room “By order of management - Please do not carry the pool table into the best room”

Definitely Weybourn then.

Been to Weybourn camping.
I can assure you that a posh Norfolk village with just one smart pub ('gastro' of course), doesn't have council houses.

It doesn't adjoini Arbourthorne or the Manor either....

HTH

Yes indeed. In the photo below, the person taking the Palace Cinema photo was probably stood just in front of the benches by the side of the Cross Daggers.

View attachment 80727
SEB, being from Woodhouse what and why is there a stone pillar, referred to as a monument earlier. As a rule there is some historical reason for the erection of such things.
Being from Hollinsend I have always known of it as the Market Cross through my grandparents generation.

Been to Weybourn camping.
I can assure you that a posh Norfolk village with just one smart pub ('gastro' of course), doesn't have council houses.

It doesn't adjoini Arbourthorne or the Manor either....

HTH
I was hoping I'd got away with MY typo.
Where does Weybourn adjoini?

SEB, being from Woodhouse what and why is there a stone pillar, referred to as a monument earlier. As a rule there is some historical reason for the erection of such things.
Being from Hollinsend I have always known of it as the Market Cross through my grandparents generation.
I referred to it as a monument in the absence of my brain coming up with a better description :D . As it is in the market place at Woodhouse, then it is better to describe it as a market cross.

Last edited:

Is this the shops below, elevation wise, and the same side of the road as the Broomhill Tavern, that's if its still open.

That was taken 40 years ago, doubt it's still open

Erected in 1775 as a Market Cross by Joshua Littlewood, weather vane added in the 1800s. It was either a vanity project or an altruistic donation to the village by the wealthy Mr Littlewood. As far as I'm aware there's nothing historically noteworthy about it.

Is this the shops below, elevation wise, and the same side of the road as the Broomhill Tavern, that's if its still open.
The Vat One I remember was at the other end of Glossop Road, close to West street. I think it was on the corner of what I call the Sinclair building, the curvy black brick building opposite the Swim Inn

That was taken 40 years ago, doubt it's still open

Erected in 1775 as a Market Cross by Joshua Littlewood, weather vane added in the 1800s. It was either a vanity project or an altruistic donation to the village by the wealthy Mr Littlewood. As far as I'm aware there's nothing historically noteworthy about it.
Thanks for that info on the Market Cross. presume Mr Littlewood was a mine owner or landowner.

The Vat One I remember was at the other end of Glossop Road, close to West street. I think it was on the corner of what I call the Sinclair building, the curvy black brick building opposite the Swim Inn
Yes, your right, I remember it as per photo, it stood out as modern against the other Victorian shop fronts, just couldn't place the location.

Isn't that the precinct at Manor Top? If it is, there used to be a Fred Hartley discount motor spares shop there. Also, have vague memories of a Chinese takeaway where Playland is in the photo.

There was also a sports shop called Sheffield Sportsman, owned by Chris’s mum Joan Wilder, after she moved from the Arbourthorne shops

702621b02fa56b2349204e42b4825164.jpg

F.A. Cup Semi-Final Replay, Bolton, England, 23rd March 1899, Sheffield United 4 v Liverpool 4, Midfield action from the Sheffield United,(in stripes) v Liverpool game
Rab Howell, who played for us the season before, was playing for Liverpool in that game.

Another view that gives a better idea of where the Palace cinema was

View attachment 80708
I remember it well. I can't remember if Fox's was still open at the time but I would be about 12 years old and about 3 or 4 of us entered the derelict cinema at the rear. We walked along the beams into the shaft you can see in the centre of the photo (very dangerous but at 12 you are immortal) and entered what was the projection room. Every other door we had encountered we had opened and walked straight through but don't know why but booted opened the other door in the projection room ; good job we did as the door opened into thin air as can be seen on your first photo just above the railed balcony to the right.

Back
Top Bottom