Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Excellent large photo, Sheaf St.-Paternoster Row. Extremely nostalgic for me as where the lorry is, was the stop where I alighted to first walk to Leopold St then when the route was extended to under the clock at the rail station to catch the no. 60 to school, five years of my life, then 3 to Charles St then up town for work
The lady on the left I like to think as just left home for a better life.
The lorry, Ford Thames, can't read the name, or remember the company but they were maroon and had a large fleet. Afterthought Hodges Transport/Haulage, help me with this please
Could date the photo by either the Lyceum and Empires posters or Blades one showing Rotherham United at the Lane. With my limited equipment I believe it could be 1958-59 season September 27th. so photo approx. week before that.

Excellent large photo, Sheaf St.-Paternoster Row. Extremely nostalgic for me as where the lorry is, was the stop where I alighted to first walk to Leopold St then when the route was extended to under the clock at the rail station to catch the no. 60 to school, five years of my life, then 3 to Charles St then up town for work
The lady on the left I like to think as just left home for a better life.
The lorry, Ford Thames, can't read the name, or remember the company but they were maroon and had a large fleet. Afterthought Hodges Transport/Haulage, help me with this please
Could date the photo by either the Lyceum and Empires posters or Blades one showing Rotherham United at the Lane. With my limited equipment I believe it could be 1958-59 season September 27th. so photo approx. week before that.

If it's 1958 the lady on the let as you say has just left home.

She's sick and tired of listening to her husband go on about 'how are we going to replace Jimmy Hagan'.

Has Bert got the correct monocle in?

Showroom Workstation is a Unique Cultural Hub in Sheffield.
One of Europe's largest independent cinemas with a fully licensed café bar, paired with the longest-running creative business centre in the city- situated right next to the railway station in an iconic 1930s' Art Deco building.

Kenning had a large number of business premises. They ranged from car showrooms in city centres to tyre factories and office blocks on the outskirts of towns. The showrooms in Leadmill Road, Sheffield[7] and Queen Street, Derby occupied what would now be called "prime retail" sites in city-centre locations. They were architect-designed and followed the Art Deco architecture style that was prevalent at the time of building.

View attachment 81060
Some great photographs, seems like yesterday . Cheers

View attachment 81042
Bakers Hill, corner of Fitzalan Square, April 1989.
This is a curious spot. Firstly, comparing an old 1900 ish map with current day Streetview, it now seems to have lost its apostrophe.
Secondly on the old map, it seems it was originally a continuation, albeit steep, on the line of Norfolk Street.
Also since the date of my photo, the graffiti has been updated - but it's still pointless to me.
Lastly, does anyone know where that doorway at the bottom of the stairs on the right leads/led to? I worked in the Post Office building for a short while including the basements and don't think they are related. Maybe old access to the subterranean toilets in the square?
This photo brings back memories of the 70's. I'd been to the Top Rank and it was after 2 in the morning. I usually walked that way home. I was walking home to Park Hill when I got blocked by 4 guys who clearly were up for it. They reckoned I'd been chatting one of their girls up. Fearing the worst I tried talking my way out of it. Next minute I hear a shout "Oreight Mick" It was Benny Beach who had seen these chaps following me. "Let's knock fukc out of them Mick," he said. Theses 4 guys were now literally shitting themselves. I've never seen 4 guys run so fast. I never saw them again. Next time I saw Benny I bought him a drink or two. :)

We've got our own version right here in Sheffield, although not quite as salubrious as yours
View attachment 81123

View attachment 81124
I’ve done more than one job in that building. Every time I’m either on the top or next to top floor. The lifts are tiny so your up and down the bloody stairs with tools and materials. Absolute nightmare. You’ll spend a full day doing half a days work 😭

I’ve done more than one job in that building. Every time I’m either on the top or next to top floor. The lifts are tiny so your up and down the bloody stairs with tools and materials. Absolute nightmare. You’ll spend a full day doing half a days work 😭
Isn't that normal for a builder? ;)

This photo brings back memories of the 70's. I'd been to the Top Rank and it was after 2 in the morning. I usually walked that way home. I was walking home to Park Hill when I got blocked by 4 guys who clearly were up for it. They reckoned I'd been chatting one of their girls up. Fearing the worst I tried talking my way out of it. Next minute I hear a shout "Oreight Mick" It was Benny Beach who had seen these chaps following me. "Let's knock fukc out of them Mick," he said. Theses 4 guys were now literally shitting themselves. I've never seen 4 guys run so fast. I never saw them again. Next time I saw Benny I bought him a drink or two. :)

Now there's a name from the past.,

First photo, Milton House on the left used to house a tax office that handled my tax. Week before Christmas, many years ago, I needed to sort some tax anomaly out, so working on Devonshire St I slipped away mid afternoon to Milton House. Commissioner pointed direction I needed, go down corridor open a door to finding myself in the middle of a Christmas Party. Loads of ladies, and against one wall long tables full of food and drinks of all kinds. I might have been able to join in but my working attire let me down. I was quickly closed down by two fellas who told me they were closed and to comeback another time. Asked for a sandwich and a drink just to test the reaction but nothing doing with the taxman/person look of, you'll get nowt from us. I left there thinking, party in work time, public money, and bet the food and drink were provided through Tax Office money and you all know where that comes from.
Yorkshire Terrier, cheep and cheerful, used to have a driver who greeted every passenger as they boarded and as they alighted. Character, nice bloke, soon knocked it in the head when they closed and he went to Mainline, set of mainly ignorant, morose specimens.

Sheffield tax districts 2,3,4 and 7.

1 was Furnival House
5 St James House
6 Carver Street

Yes. I'd get out more but l'm not Dominic Cummings.....,

Back
Top Bottom