Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Looking again at this photo I've realised I'm more than likely on it, together with my grandfather and his youngest son, my uncle and avatar.
We stood on that terrace opposite side of pitch to the players entrance around the half way line as was my grandads wont, and should be between Joe Shaw and left side of photo, but not under cover.
I was twelve at the time, a grand day out, apart from the score and thunderstorm.
Inter dispersed with some sight seeing, tea/evening meal, Lyons Corner House then to see Guys and Dolls at the London Colosseum and midnight train, St Pancras to Sheffield.
Feet ached so took my shoes off on train but half asleep struggled to put them back on as we approached Midland station, just made it to get off train around four o'clock Sunday morning.
Trams ran every hour through the early hours in those days, at least to Intake they did, but we just missed one so stood top of Commercial St for almost an hour. Surprised how many people were awaiting trams at that time of day after tasting the delights of a 1954 Satdi night out in town.
Eventually goroff tram at Rex cinema and walked up Hollinsend Rd, gawd was I glad to see mi bed that morning.

Looking again at this photo I've realised I'm more than likely on it, together with my grandfather and his youngest son, my uncle and avatar.
We stood on that terrace opposite side of pitch to the players entrance around the half way line as was my grandads wont, and should be between Joe Shaw and left side of photo, but not under cover.
I was twelve at the time, a grand day out, apart from the score and thunderstorm.
Inter dispersed with some sight seeing, tea/evening meal, Lyons Corner House then to see Guys and Dolls at the London Colosseum and midnight train, St Pancras to Sheffield.
Feet ached so took my shoes off on train but half asleep struggled to put them back on as we approached Midland station, just made it to get off train around four o'clock Sunday morning.
Trams ran every hour through the early hours in those days, at least to Intake they did, but we just missed one so stood top of Commercial St for almost an hour. Surprised how many people were awaiting trams at that time of day after tasting the delights of a 1954 Satdi night out in town.
Eventually goroff tram at Rex cinema and walked up Hollinsend Rd, gawd was I glad to see mi bed that morning.
Great recollection of the day!

Thanks for sharing that. I was going to ask you for your memories of that day, and your post does that very vividly. I would welcome more of your memories of away trips. I used to love going to the big/famous grounds, and admiring the fact that they were 4-sided; but I never wanted Bramall Lane to change - it may have been ridiculous to have a cricket pitch on one side, but it always felt like home, quirks and all.

Thanks for sharing that. I was going to ask you for your memories of that day, and your post does that very vividly. I would welcome more of your memories of away trips. I used to love going to the big/famous grounds, and admiring the fact that they were 4-sided; but I never wanted Bramall Lane to change - it may have been ridiculous to have a cricket pitch on one side, but it always felt like home, quirks and all.
So true what you say of the Lane.
I have always looked at it from the point of view that it was, football winter, cricket summer, so why not have a combined ground, we both grew up with it and it was the natural state of being. Pity those who didn't have the same.

Back
Top Bottom