Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Excellent!!! photo, you've kept this dark, you little devil, never seen it before Thank you.
Believe, 23 Aug '75/76, Old Trafford 5-1 loss.
Yes, highlights of the match was on MOTD that evening. I wasnt old enough for my boarding school to allow me to stay up late to watch the programme

Yes, highlights of the match was on MOTD that evening. I wasnt old enough for my boarding school to allow me to stay up late to watch the programme
Frustrating, but I bet when you were old enough to stay up, you appreciated it all the more.
I cannot remember the game, probably score erased it from my mind, also the kids were, youngest, almost two, then nine and ten so they were my/our main focus.

Last edited:
The shirt, the whole kit, SB, absolutely love it, was it Admiral?, even got the old Sheffield coat of arms badge, just like the buses of the time !
Did we ever have any success in it, may I ask
I went to the 1-0 win at Leeds and we wore the home kit, I didnt go to the 3-1 win at Norwich and have asked my Norwich mate if he remembers the shirt we wore. The away draws were at Ipswich, Leicester and Newcastle. Am sure we wore the home shirt for the first two matches as I saw a photo of Ipswich's late equaliser and I was at Leicester. Not sure about the Newcastle match as I wasnt there. I remember sitwell saying Jim Brown played brilliantly so he may remember the shirt we wore.

I went to the 1-0 win at Leeds and we wore the home kit, I didnt go to the 3-1 win at Norwich and have asked my Norwich mate if he remembers the shirt we wore. The away draws were at Ipswich, Leicester and Newcastle. Am sure we wore the home shirt for the first two matches as I saw a photo of Ipswich's late equaliser and I was at Leicester. Not sure about the Newcastle match as I wasnt there. I remember sitwell saying Jim Brown played brilliantly so he may remember the shirt we wore.
Home shirt, my Norwich mate says.

apart from the cup runs in the late 50s early 60s our best chance of getting there was in 68 when we played leeds off the park at elland road in the quarter final think we would have gone all the way that year if we had won that game

We certainly did play them off the park, er sorry, mud bath. Didn't Addison seem to hit just about every piece of woodwork with one shot?

13,000 of us on the big bank behind the goal

"No don't stop de carnival" belting out from the two big Tannoy speakers :)

We certainly did play them off the park, er sorry, mud bath. Didn't Addison seem to hit just about every piece of woodwork with one shot?

13,000 of us on the big bank behind the goal

"No don't stop de carnival" belting out from the two big Tannoy speakers :)
yeah seem to recollect one shot he had that hit the crossbar and came down on to the post think we had a couple kicked off the line as well

True, but cannot lay my hand on a photo to illustrate. Erected mid 50's if memory serves.
Came across a good photo of the main/original scoreboard, April 14 1903, England V Scotland, which suggests the Shoreham St Stand was demolished between 1903-06 View attachment 114119
One as probably we all remember the scoreboard, no doubt bringing back pleasant memories of summer time BDTBL. View attachment 114121
The caravan, was it a tea stall or was it the Blades ticket promotion?View attachment 114123

The guy running the line in full Highland dress was a very interesting character, Robert Main Christie.

The guy running the line in full Highland dress was a very interesting character, Robert Main Christie.

Thank you very much for this info, sounds like he was the 'Duncan Edwards' of his day, 'thrusting runs down the left side'.
President of the SFA at the time of the 'Lane' photo.
Topping all his achievements, in my mind, he visited and officiated at the famous Bramall Lane.
Makes me wonder how many really, knowing it's subjective, top sportsmen of differing disciplines have played at the Lane.

Thank you very much for this info, sounds like he was the 'Duncan Edwards' of his day, 'thrusting runs down the left side'.
President of the SFA at the time of the 'Lane' photo.
Topping all his achievements, in my mind, he visited and officiated at the famous Bramall Lane.
Makes me wonder how many really, knowing it's subjective, top sportsmen of differing disciplines have played at the Lane.

Dennis Waterman 😂

Well, XM657, I do remember a variety of other sporting events at Bramall Lane in the fifties, sixties and seventies. Just after Tennis turned professional there was a series of Exhibition matches in which the likes of Rod Laver took part. At half time, during a Blades, game there was ,also, a mile race around the perimeter in which several Olympic athletes raced- Derek Ibbertson and Sheffield's own Ken Wood included.
I attended a floodlight, exhibition cricket match involving Yorkshire in which several of our cricket internationals played- can't remember who . Difficult to see the ball though.
Didn't Kell Brook box , at the Lane , as well?
Then, of course, there was the Test Match in the early 19 hundreds.
Probably, a few more.Anybody any further info?

Well, XM657, I do remember a variety of other sporting events at Bramall Lane in the fifties, sixties and seventies. Just after Tennis turned professional there was a series of Exhibition matches in which the likes of Rod Laver took part. At half time, during a Blades, game there was ,also, a mile race around the perimeter in which several Olympic athletes raced- Derek Ibbertson and Sheffield's own Ken Wood included.
I attended a floodlight, exhibition cricket match involving Yorkshire in which several of our cricket internationals played- can't remember who . Difficult to see the ball though.
Didn't Kell Brook box , at the Lane , as well?
Then, of course, there was the Test Match in the early 19 hundreds.
Probably, a few more.Anybody any further info?
Don Bradman played there. You can't improve on that.

Yorkshire's greatest ever cricketer was Wilf Rhodes.

A friend of mine (born 1909, died 1989) called Matthew told me that Wilf Rhodes refused to sign Matthew's autograph book outside the pavilion at Bramall Lane. George Hirst was a more friendly and a more approachable person who was happy to sign Matthew's autograph book. A few years later Hirst coached him.

Dennis Waterman 😂
Yes,☺️ testimonial, but the old grey matter, because it's old, who's, eludes me.
Another entertainer who was a regular in the directors box in the 50's was Ben Warriss, the straight half of a, Sheffield born comedy duo, (Jimmy)Jewel & Warriss.
Remember seeing them, Blackpool late 40's, holidays and Empire in the 50's, night out.
There must be many more entertainers/actors, who have visited the Lane throughout its long history.
Yorkshire's greatest ever cricketer was Wilf Rhodes.

Remember reading Wilf Rhodes bowling and batting statistics in my mid teens, and I couldn't believe them as I read, Awsome, season in season out.

Yes,☺️ testimonial, but the old grey matter, because it's old, who's, eludes me.
Another entertainer who was a regular in the directors box in the 50's was Ben Warriss, the straight half of a, Sheffield born comedy duo, (Jimmy)Jewel & Warriss.
Remember seeing them, Blackpool late 40's, holidays and Empire in the 50's, night out.
There must be many more entertainers/actors, who have visited the Lane throughout its long history.
Tony Mercer.

At Selhurst Park before the kick off in December 1971 (we lost 5-1), my dad spotted Tony sitting a few rows in front of us , pointed him out to me and asked me to get his autograph. I went over to him and he cheerfully signed my programme despite that I didnt know who he was. On coming back to my dad, I asked "Who's he?". "Tony Mercer from the Black and White Minstrel Show" was the reply. No surprise I didnt recognise Tony!

Back
Top Bottom