Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yes,☺️ testimonial, but the old grey matter, because it's old, who's, eludes me.
Another entertainer who was a regular in the directors box in the 50's was Ben Warriss, the straight half of a, Sheffield born comedy duo, (Jimmy)Jewel & Warriss.
Remember seeing them, Blackpool late 40's, holidays and Empire in the 50's, night out.
There must be many more entertainers/actors, who have visited the Lane throughout its long history.

Remember reading Wilf Rhodes bowling and batting statistics in my mid teens, and I couldn't believe them as I read, Awsome, season in season out.

sheffield_united.jpg

Tony Mercer.

At Selhurst Park before the kick off in December 1971 (we lost 5-1), my dad spotted Tony sitting a few rows in front of us , pointed him out to me and asked me to get his autograph. I went over to him and he cheerfully signed my programme despite that I didnt know who he was. On coming back to my dad, I asked "Who's he?". "Tony Mercer from the Black and White Minstrel Show" was the reply. No surprise I didnt recognise Tony!
Yes SB, good shout, believe we've been down this road before, another one who I've seen in the John St directors box.
Memory all askew, I'll put it down to England's 2nd innings batting yesterday.o_O

Talking Pictures TV. Saturday Morning Pictures. 9am. They’ve had Popeye, Lone Ranger and Flash Gordon with Buster Crabbe. Proper telly. Even got the Grandkids to throw things at me to make it more realistic 🤣🤣.
Saturday mornings in the 60s at our local picture house at Goldthorpe.

Can't afford a proper table cloth, could be in trouble here? :rolleyes:
Table clothes. Do people still have them?
Mi mams was never off when I was a kid. She'd :as she would say "Al sheck table clart for next sitting". Good owd mam.

My father Bill Kirby. Sadly passed away 18 months ago. He was an Everton fan. but moved to Sheffield in the 60's to manage Andre Bernard hairdressers on t'moor (one for the older viewers to remember).
He used to take us to both teams when we were kids. But on that infamous Boxing Day, I went with some Utd mates to the away end and my brother went to the Wendy end with his mates. Since that day I have hated them and the die was cast for me as a Blade. Thank goodness.

Back
Top Bottom