Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

s26061.jpg

Wouldn't see him opening a Jobcentre now!

They were banned from the World Cup but I remember the world class players such as Stojkovic, Savicevic and Prosinecki (saw him for Portsmouth at Bramall Lane in 2002 and he had unbelievable skill despite not running much)
And Euro 92 is one of those footballing sliding doors moments. Their squad was better than Denmark’s. I hadn’t realised how many of the youngsters were in the Italia 90 squad (Suker etc).
I remember the Portsmouth game too and being very excited. Even better when we won!

I’m fairly certain XM that there was also a scoreboard incorporated in the BL end roof at the end towards the pavilion.
True, but cannot lay my hand on a photo to illustrate. Erected mid 50's if memory serves.
Came across a good photo of the main/original scoreboard, April 14 1903, England V Scotland, which suggests the Shoreham St Stand was demolished between 1903-06 1903 April14 BDTBL England 1 V Scotland 2 Harry Johnson played Note stand almost to cricket sc...jpg
One as probably we all remember the scoreboard, no doubt bringing back pleasant memories of summer time BDTBL. FB_IMG_1551818673897.jpg
The caravan, was it a tea stall or was it the Blades ticket promotion?SUFC TICKET OFFICE (2).jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1551818673897.jpg
    FB_IMG_1551818673897.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 18
True, but cannot lay my hand on a photo to illustrate. Erected mid 50's if memory serves.
Came across a good photo of the main/original scoreboard, April 14 1903, England V Scotland, which suggests the Shoreham St Stand was demolished between 1903-06 View attachment 114119
One as probably we all remember the scoreboard, no doubt bringing back pleasant memories of summer time BDTBL. View attachment 114121
The caravan, was it a tea stall or was it the Blades ticket promotion?View attachment 114123
Glad to see the match officials were totally impartial back then, with the linesman wearing a kilt, tam o shanter and tweed jacket, did the ref get dressed up as Nessie?

Came across a good photo of the main/original scoreboard, April 14 1903, England V Scotland, which suggests the Shoreham St Stand was demolished between 1903-06 View attachment 114119
One as probably we all remember the scoreboard, no doubt bringing back pleasant memories of summer time BDTBL. View attachment 114121
The caravan, was it a tea stall or was it the Blades ticket promotion?View attachment 114123
The Sheffield United upper echelon taking time out, for a photo shoot looking at a 1920’s caravan. Kin ell that says a lot about the forward thinking board we had at the time.
Who is Westwood Silent?

The Sheffield United upper echelon taking time out, for a photo shoot looking at a 1920’s caravan. Kin ell that says a lot about the forward thinking board we had at the time.
Who is Westwood Silent?
Terry Westwood worked with Arnold Newton and I think he was the ticket office manager. His daughter was at the House of parliament protest led by Sean Bean in 2007. I have not seen her for a long time.

View attachment 114145A new photo (Satdi) but a timeless scene, cricket at Low Bradfield. I did a Loxley Valley walk and sat here for my lunch. The old part is that we used to come here for a day out and watch the cricket with my grandma and great aunts and uncles in the 70s.
In Jack Hampshire's Benefit Year I saw Yorkshire playing Bradfield here in 1976. Fred Trueman was rolling back the years and bowling for Yorkshire as a guest. One young upstart for Bradfield walloped him to the boundary, much to my dad's delight. "Oh, he shouldn't have done that, that young 'un. You watch, Fred will bowl this next one at his head." And he did, Young Upstart causing much mirth in the crowd as he took rather desperate evasive action from Fred's bumper. I was 10 at the time, and such an impression did this leave on the young me that I thought to myself, "Well that's it, whatever my dad says about cricket must be right." As it turned out, that wasn't far from the truth; nothing, absolutely nothing could compare to a day at the cricket with my dad.

When Yorkshire came to bat Chris Old wafted several sixes into the neighbouring fields and farmyards. For many a day afterwards I used to be able to picture in my mind's eye exactly where each of those maximums landed.

His other son, Les, was a coach for the famous Torino team and died in the 1949 plane crash

I read a book on this disaster several years ago. Not sure I knew Joe and Les were related.

My first ever game.....propped on a barrier behind the white wall where the kop met the John street stand/floodlight .....went home thinking all games would be like that!....cheers Grandad
I was sat on the floodlight base at the corner of John St and Bramall Lane....memorable game

1903 April14 BDTBL England 1 V Scotland 2 Harry Johnson played Note stand almost to cricket sc...jpg

this is an England v Scotland international held at the Lane which might explain a linesman in a kilt and tweed jacket with a hankie on a stick

View attachment 114371

this is an England v Scotland international held at the Lane which might explain a linesman in a kilt and tweed jacket with a hankie on a stick
Harry(old)Johnson, playing right half, on touch line Scots won 1-2. A H. Davis of SWFC, on the right wing, also played, with Woodward of Spurs, at 9, scoring for England.
It was the 4th full international to be played in Sheffield since England's first international on 30th November 1872.
The others were..........................1883 10 March lost 2-3 to Scotland
1887 5 February won 7-0 V Ireland
1897 29 March won 4-0 V Wales
On which ground or grounds these three games were played I have no idea. My info only states matches played at Sheffield.

Harry(old)Johnson, playing right half, on touch line Scots won 1-2. A H. Davis of SWFC, on the right wing, also played, with Woodward of Spurs, at 9, scoring for England.
It was the 4th full international to be played in Sheffield since England's first international on 30th November 1872.
The others were..........................1883 10 March lost 2-3 to Scotland
1887 5 February won 7-0 V Ireland
1897 29 March won 4-0 V Wales
On which ground or grounds these three games were played I have no idea. My info only states matches played at Sheffield.
All were played at bramall lane
It was the go to ground for fa cup semis and internationals culminating in the fa cup final replay Barnsley won in 1912

All were played at bramall lane
It was the go to ground for fa cup semis and internationals culminating in the fa cup final replay Barnsley won in 1912
Thanks for that, honestly didn't know about the internationals, only the 1903 one. Of course Blades weren't in existence for the first two and not a football league club for the third.
I knew about the semis and Barnsley replay from being a kid, came via mi grandad, who was 22 when Barnsley won the cup.
I always thought, as a kid, Albert Modley came from Barnsley, must have been after seeing this film, released 1950.Albert Modley.jpg

Here with the mentioned Harold Berens a name that comes down to me from wireless comedy programmes of the late 40's early 50's.

Back
Top Bottom