Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He's been mentioned a bit on here lately. Context, Milija Aleksic the Luton keeper had whacked Robin Friday a couple of times and got booked for a really bad challenge that would be a 10 game ban today. Man Friday was livid he wasn't sent off, but a little bit later in the game scored a cracker. This was his response to Aleksic...Friday got booked and caused a bit of a storm!

river.jpeg.jpg

According the stuff I have read, we were interested in signing Friday when he was at Reading.

Last edited:

Although I had been going to the Lane for a while, I got my first season ticket for the 1967/8 season on the understanding that I would have been seeing Jones, Birchenall et al on a regular basis. History shows we sold Jones to Leeds and Birchenall to Chelsea and we were relegated at the end of the season. I was well and truly on the Blades roller coaster.

With this talk of County Cup Finals does anyone( Silent Blade ) have any details on a final at Hillsborough where we lost on pens? 1974 0r 1975 I think?

I remember being on their Kop ( not scrapping,I was 9 or 10 !) and it was half Blades and half them. Whoever missed in the pen shoot out dropped to his knees and started walking back to the halfway line on his knees but can't be certain who it was. Maybe big Eddie C ?

Seemed a big ish crowd.

Top bloke ,we used to get our trophies from his sports shop in Maltby years ago. He was often in the shop when we collected them and would happily talk all day about football. Sadly he left United just before I started going so always associated him with Leeds where he didnt seem to fit in with the dirty scumbags they were.

With this talk of County Cup Finals does anyone( Silent Blade ) have any details on a final at Hillsborough where we lost on pens? 1974 0r 1975 I think?

I remember being on their Kop ( not scrapping,I was 9 or 10 !) and it was half Blades and half them. Whoever missed in the pen shoot out dropped to his knees and started walking back to the halfway line on his knees but can't be certain who it was. Maybe big Eddie C ?

Seemed a big ish crowd.
Jan 26th 1974. It was the 1972/73 final, lost 4-3 on penalties
Eddy, Badger & Woody scored, Flynn @ Colquhoun missed

Seemed a big ish crowd.
funnily enough the biggest turnout of blades on wednesdays kop was the january 68 game never seen as many united fans on their kop

Only time on there for me was, and not 100% sure on date apart from it been Easter Monday? 69/70 ish. Could have been TC only Derby game. Score 0-0 again not 100% but packed with Blades especially on the mound section that their kop had. Remember lots of scuffles but nowt too nasty. Just separated by a few police inside and out, in fact remember police outside saying just get in there and herding us through kop gates. Suppose they thought it was easier to keep all the numpties in one section ( not a numpty by the way) No way would they let that happen today.

Only time on there for me was, and not 100% sure on date apart from it been Easter Monday? 69/70 ish. Could have been TC only Derby game. Score 0-0 again not 100% but packed with Blades especially on the mound section that their kop had. Remember lots of scuffles but nowt too nasty. Just separated by a few police inside and out, in fact remember police outside saying just get in there and herding us through kop gates. Suppose they thought it was easier to keep all the numpties in one section ( not a numpty by the way) No way would they let that happen today.
Yes, 0-0 on Easter Monday 1971 (April 12th). TC played in only 2 Sheffield derby matches. The other was the 3-2 win at the Lane in October 1970

Yes, 0-0 on Easter Monday 1971 (April 12th). TC played in only 2 Sheffield derby matches. The other was the 3-2 win at the Lane in October 1970
was a poor game united were the better side first half wednesday just edged the second if i remember correctly we had a good penalty shout turned down silent will confirm if im right or wrong

Bert stood up there with the Unitedites. As you say there was a bit of falling out but nothing too drastic.

He's been mentioned a bit on here lately. Context, Milija Aleksic the Luton keeper had whacked Robin Friday a couple of times and got booked for a really bad challenge that would be a 10 game ban today. Man Friday was livid he wasn't sent off, but a little bit later in the game scored a cracker. This was his response to Aleksic...Friday got booked and caused a bit of a storm!

View attachment 109467

According the stuff I have read, we were interested in signing Friday when he was at Reading.
Tozzing photo, most on here must have wanted, and done this, when in a simular situation.
Sad about Mr Friday, another flawed genius, but they are all part of the rich pattern of life.
Someone must have said it, pity Friday didn't play for W*dn%sday, then at some point he'd play on those days of the week.:rolleyes:

Sorry XM657, it's not. You need to swing round a lot further around to the south.
I'm not the one with the existential map, unfortunately.
Lost, would it be either Heeley or above Woodseats?

John Hope taking the piss out of...................substitute Stewart Scullion It's a wonder he's held on to the ball.jpgwith Tommy Craig tommy-craig-sheffield-wednesday.jpg didn't pick him up but stood patting him on the head when Craig stopped him clearing his area.

I know it's not Broomspring Lane in the photo, but the pub at the top of Broomspring Lane was the Springfield Tavern.
Thanks for that, nice pub, often popped in when in the area and time allowed.
Used to go in dinner times now and again when working on the Hallamshire Hospital.

Getting warmer...
It's from the very top of Meersbrook Avenue. Not much has changed actually, apart from the lack of smog

View attachment 109531

Know it well. My best mate lived on Meersbrook Avenue. Turn 180 degrees and you’re in the quarry. Happy times spent on there as a youngster in the early 80’s, when I lived at Norton Lees.

Simply wouldn’t be allowed to venture into a disused quarry these days, of course, let alone have kids playing in it.

Thanks for that, nice pub, often popped in when in the area and time allowed.
Used to go in dinner times now and again when working on the Hallamshire Hospital.
My grandad lived round the corner from there on Gloucester St, so I spent a fair bit of time sat on the wall outside as a kid while he had a pint on the way back from the paper shop at the top. Sunday dinner ready when we got back, happy days!

Recon 10 years difference between photo and programme it is on though it don't look like TC at 10.
Steve Cammack playing Beattie's horse?
If I'm on the right track it could be 72-73 Aug. but it don't look like t'Lane.
Youth game or whatever structure was relevant at that time maybe.

Back
Top Bottom