Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I've still got that Stanley Matthews book you mention above, XM657. A prized possession.
Nice one, same here and mine was second hand from market hall, from mi gran who worked in there. It has some other lads name and address in but like a twat crossed it out in Indian ink and can't read it now. Would have been interesting to contact as now, hope he didn't follow the other faction. :confused:

This might jog your memory. The only time I saw him was at the Lane in January 1956; Utd won 2-1. Afraid I haven’t got the programme, but I do have the one from the following game, which, as was normal then, had a photo of the previous match on the front. Unfortunately, Trevor Ford is not in the picture, so this is not my finest post. But I always like an excuse to look out the old programmes!
View attachment 110168
Howitt, Grainger and Alf, at that time United, with Hawksworth, had 3 wingers who knew where the back of the net was.
I missed few matches 53-54 to 56-57 with a good few 52-53 and sprinklings from 49-50 and reserves 47 to 49. Started playing local league 57-58 so then it was when not playing.
So it's quite possible I saw him in '56 but have no recollection of doing so. Thanks for that info and time, appreciated.
Another reminder, what about the woollen shirt, shades of the England shirt in the FA Museum c1880 believe.TF at AV.jpeg

Omitted, Ford must have been good, 202 goals in 401 football league games most of those in the top division.:)

Blades 4 (Woodward 2, Jones, Reece) WBA 3 (Fraser, Clark, Astle) 1/10/1966. Jimmy Hagan, WBA's manager. Two weeks later the BLUT were open to spectators (v Sunderland)
View attachment 110185
Am I the only person who thinks that the goal in that picture is what a goal should look like? I still haven’t accepted the modern ones; especially when they dismantle them before we’ve left the Kop. Ruins the magic.

the holland team of 1974 are still the best international team i have ever seen played some fantastic football brazil team of 1970 are the 2nd best for me

In terms of being so far ahead of the rest of the world , no team I’ve ever seen comes close to the great Hungarian one of the early 50’s .

When they came to Wembley in’53 I wagged off school and watched them tear England to pieces , deploying a method and style of football that may as well have come from another planet compared to anything I had ever seen before .

In the return match in Hungary they took this superiority to even greater heights resulting in a 7-1 thrashing of a team that was considered to be a major force in world football at the time .

When people talk about the greatest ever footballers the names of Cruyff , Pele and Maradonna are always mentioned and rightly so , but I can honestly say I have never seen a finer individual performance by any footballer than the one given by Ferenc Puskas in the Wembley match .

Am I the only person who thinks that the goal in that picture is what a goal should look like? I still haven’t accepted the modern ones; especially when they dismantle them before we’ve left the Kop. Ruins the magic.
Yer just an old.......as you were....... Yer just a romantic longing for the days when all seemed well in the world, and there's no wonder what with this season at the Lane and the doings around the world.
Magic day, JH returning to the Lane in an official capacity, a victory and BL Stand completed and ready for use.
Returning to the Cardiff match, '56, I hadn't realised that Derek Hawksworth also played in that game, no. 9, I would guess.
Despite this none of the three wingers scored, Tommy Hoyland and Bobby Howitt on the scoresheet, two players I thought more than decent from a 14 year old's perspective. Alf Sherwood scoring for Cardiff, surely that must be a pen., though it doesn't indicate as such, could AS be the first wingback?

Lots of great footballing names from the past on here, did anyone ever see Duncan Edwards play or know exactly how good he was. My dad always said he was the business. Had every skill and talent a footballer needed. May be going a tad too far back with this name.

Lots of great footballing names from the past on here, did anyone ever see Duncan Edwards play or know exactly how good he was. My dad always said he was the business. Had every skill and talent a footballer needed. May be going a tad too far back with this name.
I was working in Cornwall in the late 1990's and met a guy who went to school with Duncan Edwards. He said at the age of 11 or 12 he was already built like a man. Massive tree trunk legs.

Of course by the age of 18 he was an England regular. (Makes me smile when we keep giving our 20 year olds today the excuse of being too young to be put in the first team because we might ruin them)

If Duncan Edwards had survived Munich would England had a better chance of winning the World Cup in 1962?

It's more than likely that another Man Utd wing half (ask your dad), Nobby Stiles wouldn't have been in the 1966 England team.

I saw him play at the Lane in 1955, and live on TV in international matches and the Cup Final when live games on tv were a treat. I absolutely idolised him, and was really upset by his death (I was 10 at the time). If you search ‘Duncan Edwards’ and put in my name, you should be able to find several posts about him; if you have problems, let me know - I always enjoy repeating myself on a topic like this. Especially if someone actually wants to listen!

I saw him play at the Lane in 1955, and live on TV in international matches and the Cup Final when live games on tv were a treat. I absolutely idolised him, and was really upset by his death (I was 10 at the time). If you search ‘Duncan Edwards’ and put in my name, you should be able to find several posts about him; if you have problems, let me know - I always enjoy repeating myself on a topic like this. Especially if someone actually wants to listen!
My recently departed uncle saw him play many times (and had his autograph - snagged at the train station after a match). Said he was up there with the best. And he’d seen Pele live too!

My recently departed uncle saw him play many times (and had his autograph - snagged at the train station after a match). Said he was up there with the best. And he’d seen Pele live too!
He had the potential and the character to be an all-time great. Sadly, we can never know. It was significant that when Matt Busby came round in hospital following the crash, the first person he asked about was Duncan Edwards. A team with him and Bobby Charlton for a decade or more would have been something.

Back
Top Bottom