Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Shiny Sheff is one of those pubs that seem permanently on the edge of closing. Think 'Exciting business opportunity' sign stuck outside.

I think your insurance salesmen and various other penny millionaires, all moved to the Bulls Head at Ranmoor by the late 80s.The Shiny Sheff acquired a more 'diverse' clientele and became popular with the travelling folk from Redmires for a while. It could get 'interesting'. Lovely decking with great views as the sun goes down, but being Lodge Moor it needs to be a sunny day in July/August or you have to fight the polar bears off with sticks.

Rising Sun's main issue is poor service. Loads of staff, but somehow they are all a bit crap. Their other problem is occasional visits from Piggy Pearson who thinks he owns the place.

When l was there at least most of the Bulls Head drinkers had a few quid unlike the credit card kings in the Sheff.

The Shiny Sheff is one of those pubs that seem permanently on the edge of closing. Think 'Exciting business opportunity' sign stuck outside.

I think your insurance salesmen and various other penny millionaires, all moved to the Bulls Head at Ranmoor by the late 80s.The Shiny Sheff acquired a more 'diverse' clientele and became popular with the travelling folk from Redmires for a while. It could get 'interesting'. Lovely decking with great views as the sun goes down, but being Lodge Moor it needs to be a sunny day in July/August or you have to fight the polar bears off with sticks.

Rising Sun's main issue is poor service. Loads of staff, but somehow they are all a bit crap. Their other problem is occasional visits from Piggy Pearson who thinks he owns the place.

I think the Rising Sun's main issue is a glut of their own brewery beers occupying most of the 12 hand pumps - and almost all of them are 4% standard strength beers.

Very little diversity or innovation in their beer selection.

They are also fond of "Acorn" brewery guest beers, which are just about the worst brewery I've ever come across.

Occasionally they have some good ones from Revolution Brewery.

But they are so heavily focused on providing "mainstream" "4% ish" bland cask beer, that they may as well just take out 8 of the 12 beer pumps and appeal to Joe Average instead, who just walks into a pub and asks for " a pint of bitter" not knowing there are many different types, styles and strengths.

I think the Rising Sun's main issue is a glut of their own brewery beers occupying most of the 12 hand pumps - and almost all of them are 4% standard strength beers.

Very little diversity or innovation in their beer selection.

They are also fond of "Acorn" brewery guest beers, which are just about the worst brewery I've ever come across.

Occasionally they have some good ones from Revolution Brewery.

But they are so heavily focused on providing "mainstream" "4% ish" bland cask beer, that they may as well just take out 8 of the 12 beer pumps and appeal to Joe Average instead, who just walks into a pub and asks for " a pint of bitter" not knowing there are many different types, styles and strengths.

I think you've been spoilt if you think Acorn are that bad. Their interpretation of Barnsley Bitteris fine and they have a couple of decent pale ales.

I'm a big Moonshine/Deception fan but agree the choice can get uninspiring given there are 12 pumps.

The vibe changed a bit when they started doing food. Loads of brattish kids and entitled middle class parents who can't be arsed to make them behave. Prior to that it was much more of a drinkers pub but with a good mix of sexes and ages.

There was a well know Sunday League side called the Rising Sun, they had many a battle with Ecclesfield's Black Bull.

I think you've been spoilt if you think Acorn are that bad. Their interpretation of Barnsley Bitteris fine and they have a couple of decent pale ales.

I'm a big Moonshine/Deception fan but agree the choice can get uninspiring given there are 12 pumps.

The vibe changed a bit when they started doing food. Loads of brattish kids and entitled middle class parents who can't be arsed to make them behave. Prior to that it was much more of a drinkers pub but with a good mix of sexes and ages.

Yeah well...

we're on a different set of taste buds here mate. And that's not to say I am right and you are wrong. But I think there's more to beer than the standard 4% bitter that anybody and everybody can turn out, in any part of the country. I got bored with that many years ago. EVERY pub in the country serves that. I would find it extremely difficult to take you to a pub that doesn't have at least one of these.

Now...Moonshine I used to like when I first tried it. Because at least it was a bit "different" to the old man's regular "bitter". Pale, hoppy, creamy. Yep! Not much to dislike on those counts. But it's yet another "bland" "average" beer. What is it? 4 point what? Without looking it up it's just another "middle of the road" beer.

I go in the Rising Sun occasionally. Usually at the times I go in there aren't many young kids knocking about. I always start by walking to the far left of the bar, to see if they have got anything "unusual" or even mildly "exciting" on. A few months ago they had some fantastic draught beer - (I've forgotten the bloody name now!) but it was a strong IPA at 7% and it wasn't one of their own (surprisingly!). I went in every night for over a week until it had gone. Absolutely fantastic!

Sadly, the guy behind the bar, "Brian", told me I was the only one drinking it! Most folks are put off by the 7% strength. What weasels! Don't they realise they get the effect quicker with less volume and calories?

Then, it disappeared, never to be seen again. And, for me, it was a wasted journey, wandering to the left hand side of the bar, because my choice had gone back to their own label, the rather sweet, "(Easy Rider Impersonator Beer) "Absolution" at 5.2%, or the alternative, slightly stronger, "Voyager IPA" at 6% with an aftertaste of licking an aluminium saucepan.

I prefer to go to the Kelham Island Tavern, Shakespeares on Gibraltar Street, or maybe the Sheaf View pub. It's further out for me, but those pubs have some amazing,"unusual" beers of all kinds of strengths and styles. The Rising Sun, I think, is poor because they aren't in the least "adventurous" - but, being nearer to home, it's one I pop in occasionally just out of curiousity.

A word here for the "Two Thirds Beer Company" - whose pub I have never ventured inside - but who have produced some fantastic beers available for take-out during this lock down period. I am definitely going to pay them a regular visit when this is over. 👍

Yes it's an Auto Union DKW (DKW being a separate maker at some stage) I think they started off as steam cars, then produced as 2 strokes like the Wartbergs, now under the Audi/VW banner I believe. Anyone got photos of the NSU's another maker in the same group who pioneered rear engined cars
No photograph but once went to Southampton , 1974 in a NSU RO80. Proper head turner in its day . Had the aptly named Wankel rotary engine , but what a lovely drive.

Never smoked a real Cig in my life, was given a Cigar on my 18th birthday I tried it and nearly fckin choked to Death, never touched anything since bad for health, only ever had sweet ciggie's, also bad for health I'm now a Diabetic :)
Should have stuck to Capstan full strength you wouldn’t have had Diabetes, you would have croaked years back.

Used to be really cool to get your parents empty fag packet and fill them with the sweet ones.
Back in the early 60s in art class we would paint park drive black with gold tips and sell them on as black russian or eygption cigs, nice little earner till the local nutter bought one

Wembley stadium during initial construction, early 1920s:

FFC5635B-F47C-4BE4-AF70-36C42574EF6B.jpeg

Visible in the image is the footprint of “Watkin’s Folly”, an ill-fated attempt by a Victorian railway magnate—Sir Edward Watkin—to construct an Eiffel Tower equivalent in “Wembley Park” during the 1890s.

This photo shows the construction of the lower section still under way when the park opened in 1894:

15D7942E-D919-4E6A-BCBC-3F799BEAA2E1.jpeg

Unfortunately, the tower soon started sinking into the marsh, and no further construction took place. It was pulled down in 1906.

I like to think of the arch that helps hold the roof up in today’s stadium as a visual trace or haunting of the “new” Wembley by Watkin’s Folly (also known at the time as the “Shareholders’ Dismay”)—both names having a certain resonance, perhaps, for folk who find the current stadium difficult to warm to:

FB32A198-ADFB-4C12-85FC-6F957EF5A540.jpeg

F408C2F6-2C21-4522-BAA3-9DC69533BD6F.jpeg

And, as a premonition of future Wembleys, rather than a haunting by its past, here’s an early team photo taken on what might now be Wembley Way (or the car park, I guess). Wembley Boys Brigade, c.1900:

C120781E-5D12-4859-B77A-940C39091B32.jpeg

In the pantheon of Victorian bonky madness, Sir Edward Watkin is right up there. Decent overview of his place in the history of Wembley, here:

Last edited:
Wembley stadium during initial construction, early 1920s:

View attachment 77091

Visible in the image is the footprint of “Watkin’s Folly”, an ill-fated attempt by a Victorian railway magnate—Sir Edward Watkin—to construct an Eiffel Tower equivalent in “Wembley Park” during the 1890s.

This photo shows the construction of the lower section still under way when the park opened in 1894:

View attachment 77093

Unfortunately, the tower soon started sinking into the marsh, and no further construction took place. It was pulled down in 1906.

I like to think of the arch that helps hold the roof up in today’s stadium as a visual trace or haunting of the “new” Wembley by Watkin’s Folly (also known at the time as the “Shareholders’ Dismay”)—both names having a certain resonance, perhaps, for folk who find the current stadium difficult to warm to:

View attachment 77094

View attachment 77097

And, as a premonition of future Wembleys, rather than a haunting by its past, here’s an early team photo taken on what might now be Wembley Way (or the car park, I guess). Wembley Boys Brigade, c.1900:

View attachment 77099

In the pantheon of Victorian bonky madness, Sir Edward Watkin is right up there. Decent overview of his place in the history of Wembley, here:

It would have looked similar to the large transmitter at Crystal Palace which can be seen for many miles around London.

A couple of pics taken from City Plaza ( now the Balance), corner of Pinfold St/Townend St.
June 1985. Taken towards Broad Lane.
On the first below, to the middle of the right hand side, is Croft House Settlement (still there) on Garden St. I went to the Yoof club there for a while.

20200414_145619.jpg

Below, towards the right..
20200414_145700.jpg

A couple of pics taken from City Plaza ( now the Balance), corner of Pinfold St/Townend St.
June 1985. Taken towards Broad Lane.
On the first below, to the middle of the right hand side, is Croft House Settlement (still there) on Garden St. I went to the Yoof club there for a while.

View attachment 77117

Below, towards the right..
View attachment 77118

The bottom picture has the bright yellow ('Busby era') BT vans in the car park off Scotland Street just after they'd been hived off from the GPO and privatised.

Back
Top Bottom