Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Name one of our ex-players.

soccer-ampthill-town-old-boys-v-chelsea-old-boys-amprhill-park-GAPN97.jpg

steve finnieston ?

I think this is a bit harsh really, yes he was made of chocolate but on the few times he was fit he looked absolute quality. (Street?)

Edit, Sorry burncross blade I got my threads mixed up there, thought it was the shittiest player one. I agree, I think it is Finnieston too.

Jazz pianist who played at times with saxophonist Little Bird Charlie Parker.
He was a fan of something called Thelonious Monk, George has never been moved to discover if this was animal, vegetable or mineral....
The first record I bought from there was a live recording of both Monk and Parker with, as far as I recall and I can’t be bothered to dig it out to check, Mingus, maybe Buddy Rich and a trombonist. That said, as I’m typing I’m starting to think it might have been Bud Powell on the piano and not Monk.
So basically I’m saying I once bought a jazz record from R&R, with some sketchy details. Sorry, what I hoped was going to beam interesting post turned out to be a bit shit.

It’s not to everyone’s taste and even I have to be in the right mood to listen to jazz. But the thread has inspired me to stick a bit of Billie Holiday on the CD player.

Saw MC50 (an anniversary supergroup consisting of Wayne Cramer and members of contemporary rock bands) opening for Alice Cooper in L**ds in October.

They played Kick Out the Jams second, which breaks the golden rule of gigging: never play your best-known song early on.

It says Fulwood Road Ranmoor ( not Fulwood as the know nowts say).
View attachment 77022View attachment 77023

You are trying to make me look like a dick, although admittedly that isn't too difficult.
Rising Sun, Nether Green, Abbeydale's first pub. A decent boozer but sadly not what it was 2-3 years ago, when Ryan and Nicole ran it.

The second pic you posted shows the current one being built behind it. This is parallel to the Road as opposed to the old one that faced towards Town.

What threw me was theTennents sign, as all their pubs became Whitbread. Pre Abbeydale, it was John Smith's which is a bit odd.

You are trying to make me look like a dick, although admittedly that isn't too difficult.
Rising Sun, Nether Green, Abbeydale's first pub. A decent boozer but sadly not what it was 2-3 years ago, when Ryan and Nicole ran it.

The second pic you posted shows the current one being built behind it. This is parallel to the Road as opposed to the old one that faced towards Town.

What threw me was theTennents sign, as all their pubs became Whitbread. Pre Abbeydale, it was John Smith's which is a bit odd.

It was John Smiths when l lived up there mid eighties. Graham Pugh was the landlord and the beer was very good. Clientele decent as well, not like the snobby wankers that drank in the Shiny Sheff. (Mainly insurance salesmen).

Saw MC50 (an anniversary supergroup consisting of Wayne Cramer and members of contemporary rock bands) opening for Alice Cooper in L**ds in October.

They played Kick Out the Jams second, which breaks the golden rule of gigging: never play your best-known song early on.
Must have played Ramblin' Rose first then.

It was John Smiths when l lived up there mid eighties. Graham Pugh was the landlord and the beer was very good. Clientele decent as well, not like the snobby wankers that drank in the Shiny Sheff. (Mainly insurance salesmen).

The Shiny Sheff is one of those pubs that seem permanently on the edge of closing. Think 'Exciting business opportunity' sign stuck outside.

I think your insurance salesmen and various other penny millionaires, all moved to the Bulls Head at Ranmoor by the late 80s.The Shiny Sheff acquired a more 'diverse' clientele and became popular with the travelling folk from Redmires for a while. It could get 'interesting'. Lovely decking with great views as the sun goes down, but being Lodge Moor it needs to be a sunny day in July/August or you have to fight the polar bears off with sticks.

Rising Sun's main issue is poor service. Loads of staff, but somehow they are all a bit crap. Their other problem is occasional visits from Piggy Pearson who thinks he owns the place.

Back
Top Bottom