Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

German. Auto Union, later to become AUDI, I think.
Yes it's an Auto Union DKW (DKW being a separate maker at some stage) I think they started off as steam cars, then produced as 2 strokes like the Wartbergs, now under the Audi/VW banner I believe. Anyone got photos of the NSU's another maker in the same group who pioneered rear engined cars

Another from the roof of Telephone House March 1983. Facing roughly North West. In the centre is the former Mount Zion Chapel, which was incorporated into the outpatients dept of the Royal Hospital.

Mount Zion is still there:

mountzion.jpg

I was taken to the Royal in 1978 after my first-ever car write-off. (You haven't learned to drive until you've written a car off).

View attachment 76958
I was taken to the Royal in 1978 after my first-ever car write-off. (You haven't learned to drive until you've written a car off).
Yes indeed the frontage is still there.
I also went in through those doors to the outpatients dept a few times in the early seventies at the weekends.
Sunday imperial league footy was sometimes a bit rough.

Rare and Racy was a Saturday morning ‘must’ every week.....got some great LPs from there.
...but they played some absolutely shite music in there, I used to bung up my ears with cotton wool when I went upstairs to look at books - they always had a good stock of local books, apart from the music, I could spend hours in there

...but they played some absolutely shite music in there, I used to bung up my ears with cotton wool when I went upstairs to look at books - they always had a good stock of local books, apart from the music, I could spend hours in there
The owner used to play weird jazz type records according to Bert's memory.

The owner used to play weird jazz type records according to Bert's memory.
He was a fan of something called Thelonious Monk, George has never been moved to discover if this was animal, vegetable or mineral....

Capstan full strength man myself
Never smoked a real Cig in my life, was given a Cigar on my 18th birthday I tried it and nearly fckin choked to Death, never touched anything since bad for health, only ever had sweet ciggie's, also bad for health I'm now a Diabetic :)

I think it is a Moskvitch. 412. They sold well in the early 70s as they were dirt cheap, but then it got slated for being unsafe. Lada were producing better dirt cheap cars, so that indicates how basic the Moskvichs were.
Definitely a Moskvich 412. Mybdad
Definitely a Moskvitch 412 - like this one.

View attachment 76959
My dad bought one of these in 1972. It was an L reg, sky blue and the first brand new car we ever had. It cost around £720 OTR which at the time was very cheap for a new car. We picked it up from a dealer at Handsworth who said he'd put some petrol in the tank....we ran out of fuel on Richmond Road on our way home to Intake. I learned to drive in the old Moskvich and spent many hours driving it on my dad's insurance once I'd passed my test. It was a shocking car though, built and handled like a T-34 and rusted on contact with rain. Always remembered it had a radiator blind which you opened and closed dependant on the weather. Obviously built for Russian winters.

Definitely a Moskvich 412. Mybdad

My dad bought one of these in 1972. It was an L reg, sky blue and the first brand new car we ever had. It cost around £720 OTR which at the time was very cheap for a new car. We picked it up from a dealer at Handsworth who said he'd put some petrol in the tank....we ran out of fuel on Richmond Road on our way home to Intake. I learned to drive in the old Moskvich and spent many hours driving it on my dad's insurance once I'd passed my test. It was a shocking car though, built and handled like a T-34 and rusted on contact with rain. Always remembered it had a radiator blind which you opened and closed dependant on the weather. Obviously built for Russian winters.

.....”rusted on contact with rain”

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Yes it's an Auto Union DKW (DKW being a separate maker at some stage) I think they started off as steam cars, then produced as 2 strokes like the Wartbergs, now under the Audi/VW banner I believe. Anyone got photos of the NSU's another maker in the same group who pioneered rear engined cars
DKW, Dampf Kraft Wagen, Originally produced steam powered cars.

When I worked in Telephone House for a few years, I'd often go that sandwich shop on the corner of Wellington St and Calver St, diagonally opposite Tele House. The name "Cat Shop" is ringing some unpleasant bells now....:oops:
I worked in Rockingham St DISU at the time of the infamous Cat Shop, we always went to the Hallam Bakery on Matilda St for our breakfast sarnies and then onto the Matilda at lunchtime for Hilda's homemade chip butties and pints of Wards.

RIP
159d1c54eb2ae2db99010ae4f5046cf1.jpg
Very sad news, a very good goalkeeper.

View attachment 76958

I went through those doors on New Year's eve 1977 following writing off a Suzuki GT185. Almost wrote myself off and very lucky to have exited after 5 months on traction with (more or less) both legs. Was on Arthur Jackson orthopaedic ward! Great hospital, awful grub!😊

It was constant Sun Ra if I remember correctly. The first thing I bought from there was Camembert Electrique by Gong, the last thing The Fall of Math by 65daysofstatic

It was constant Sun Ra if I remember correctly. The first thing I bought from there was Camembert Electrique by Gong, the last thing The Fall of Math by 65daysofstatic

I recently went to a place called Cafe Otto in Dalston for a night of quadrophonic music by Sun Ra. It was the first time anything had been attempted in the UK with a system comprising a Techics 1210 deck, 8 Quad II mono block amps & 16 Quad ESL57 electrostatic speakers stacked around the perimeter of the audience. It was, erm, interesting.........Sun Ra is an acquired taste & although I have some of his albums the ones he recorded that were quadrophonic were pretty out there.

First record I got was Sgt. Pepper by the way, still have it & it is still immaculate, & I agree with you, the inner stamp is iconic.

I recently went to a place called Cafe Otto in Dalston for a night of quadrophonic music by Sun Ra. It was the first time anything had been attempted in the UK with a system comprising a Techics 1210 deck, 8 Quad II mono block amps & 16 Quad ESL57 electrostatic speakers stacked around the perimeter of the audience. It was, erm, interesting.........Sun Ra is an acquired taste & although I have some of his albums the ones he recorded that were quadrophonic were pretty out there.

First record I got was Sgt. Pepper by the way, still have it & it is still immaculate, & I agree with you, the inner stamp is iconic.

Café Oto is some venue indeed, if you can survive the crap air conditioning. I saw Magma there two nights running a few years back, and last year I saw North Sea Radio Orchestra with Annie Barbazza, John Greaves (Henry Cow), and William D Drake (Cardiacs) performing the whole of Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom. John Greaves did the Ivor Cutler parts, and Fred Frith, over from the States, even performed the finale on his viola, complete with Cutler-esque cackle at the end. Sheer brilliance.

The annoying thing is, 15 years ago I lived a ten minute stroll along The Murder Mile from there - now I'm living on Stanwell's very own Murder 500 yards, Viola Avenue, unfortunately bloody miles from Dalston!

North Sea Radio Orchestra , John Greaves , Annie Barbazza - Folly Bololey (Songs From Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom)

Url: https://www.discogs.com/North-Sea-R...s-From-Robert-Wyatts-Rock-Bo/release/13621949

Shared from the Discogs App

Back
Top Bottom