Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

As a rule / traditionally football pitches are aligned roughly North-South so the players dont get blinded by low sun in the winter....

Sounds like bollocks to me. As the earth shifts on its axis in winter months, the sun rises in the South East, is at full 'strength' in the South and sets in the South West.

Aligning it N-S would do the opposite of what you suggest.

I thought I'd submitted these about 30 mins ago but probably had a senior moment. Apologies if they are duplicated in some other obscure thread somewhere else.
Anyway.... April 1991. I didn't usually go in the JSS, so I guess this was the last match before the old kop roof disappeared. Unusually, we could stroll around after the match, hence also a pic from the SS side.009 - Copy.jpg007 - Copy.jpg007 - Copy (2).jpg008 - Copy (3).jpg

Sounds like bollocks to me. As the earth shifts on its axis in winter months, the sun rises in the South East, is at full 'strength' in the South and sets in the South West.

Not bollocks at all.
Why do you think the big stand all along one Side of the pitch is called the south stand? Same at the swill too

I'll even go find you a proper source if I must 😏

Not bollocks at all.
Why do you think the big stand all along one Side of the pitch is called the south stand? Same at the swill too

So that means our pitch is aligned East-West.

What are you actually trying to say?

I thought I'd submitted these about 30 mins ago but probably had a senior moment. Apologies if they are duplicated in some other obscure thread somewhere else.
Anyway.... April 1991. I didn't usually go in the JSS, so I guess this was the last match before the old kop roof disappeared. Unusually, we could stroll around after the match, hence also a pic from the SS side.View attachment 74235View attachment 74236View attachment 74237View attachment 74238
Great pictures. There were more pillars on the Kop, and further forward. But at least standing up made it easier to lean one way or the other to see round them.

Anyway.... April 1991. I didn't usually go in the JSS, so I guess this was the last match before the old kop roof disappeared. Unusually, we could stroll around after the match, hence also a pic from the SS side.View attachment 74235View attachment 74236View attachment 74237View attachment 74238
First pic is the 1970's version of G & H Blocks.

Cricket pitches were at right angles to the football pitch, but then batsmen wore caps....

If you’re a batsman, facing the sun against a spinner is like Russian Roulette, no need to be a pillock...

Facing a fast bowler at 90mph isn't easy either, but it is irrelevant to the original assertion that all football pitches are North- South.

Maybe if you read all the posts, you'd be 'a pillock' too?

Facing a fast bowler at 90mph isn't easy either, but it is irrelevant to the original assertion that all football pitches are North- South.

My initial post stated that the cricket strips at Bramall Lane were at 90 degrees to the football pitch, a contribution to the discussion, nothing more. If you have faced a spinner throwing the ball high into the sun, you’d realise that it’s pretty difficult - a 90 mph bowler is totally irrelevant, surprised you introduced it...

Maybe if you weren’t trying to be a smartarse, we’d all get along....

I remember playing cricket matches against L**ds Deaf at Roundhay Park. L**ds would always choose to bat first if they won the toss and it took a few times before I realised the reason for that. The Sun always sets very low at one end of the pitch!

I remember playing cricket matches against L**ds Deaf at Roundhay Park. L**ds would always choose to bat first if they won the toss and it took a few times before I realised the reason for that. The Sun always sets very low at one end of the pitch!
If you win the toss you bat first. Alternatively, you can win the toss, think about it, then bat first ;)

Our pitch has the sun setting behind the bowlers arm. A right arm leg-spinner bowling around the wicket is enough to bring the teams off for safety after 7pm.

Our pitch has the sun setting behind the bowlers arm. A right arm leg-spinner bowling around the wicket is enough to bring the teams off for safety after 7pm.
I stand to be corrected here, but didn’t Derbyshire and Lancashire turn their squares 90 degrees because of this? I think I also heard of a similar problem at one of Glamorgan’s grounds

I stand to be corrected here, but didn’t Derbyshire and Lancashire turn their squares 90 degrees because of this? I think I also heard of a similar problem at one of Glamorgan’s grounds

Lancashire turned theirs at Old Trafford, but that was to facilitate redevelopment , rather than for cricketing reasons. Apparently the old layout was much better in the prevailing conditions. Who'd have thought it.....

Cricket pitches are usually oriented as close to the north-south direction as practical, because the low afternoon sun would be dangerous for a batsman facing due west.[4

Lancashire turned theirs at Old Trafford, but that was to facilitate redevelopment , rather than for cricketing reasons. Apparently the old layout was much better in the prevailing conditions. Who'd have thought it.....
The turning of the square was part of the development but not as a result of it. They just took advantage of the chance to do it when sponsorship and land sales gave them the funds to do it.

I think that Derbyshire turned theirs round due to glare from a low sun on the car windscreens parked in the official car park.
I remember play having to be stopped on several occasions due to the glare In the batsmen’s eyes.

That's a bit of a disorienting angle but I assume it is the Lansdowne as I can see the tower of the S&E on the left and the Manpower Services Commision in the far background to the right.
It is indeed the Lansdowne. I took it from an odd angle because I was trying to get the sun at a favourable angle. The S&E anx MSC were fortunate, accidental inclusions. On the far right, it also looks like the old Hermitage is covered in scaffolding but t Ive no idea which incarnation it was at that time.

Great legs, shame about the face!

sirrel1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom