Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If you are familiar with cars, "cookie" and his "Direct motor Spares" place - does the Majestic garage ring any bells in Wath. To the old ones who knew Wath it was next to the old Majestic Cinema. Perhaps even Bob Donald?

Rumour was he had a big win on the pools which led to the rise and I suppose to the eventual fall.

Played footie for Wath and West Melton club and another one further into Wath - from memory, the Burlington - they all played in the Barnsley Nelson League - hardest football i've ever played - Sheffield football was a doddle compared to that league in Barnsley.

Here's me thinking I was was the only Blade in Wath at that time.

UTB
His old motor spares shop is still there . Played football loads of times in Wath some very tasty games especially against The saracens. Head. Happy days. Proper tackles, fifty cuffs and sending offs and paid 2 quid subs to do it.

This is a long shot... The blokes that used to sell the massive full squad posters outside the lane years ago.. I had one that I've never seen since, think it had Alan Kelly, Simon Tracey and a 3rd keeper, possibly wearing the orange and black wards kit but then I remember some yellow goalkeeper shirts too, so could be 96/97/98? 🤔.. Can anyone remember it? Needle in a haystack maybe 😂 and my memory is hazy so could be way off the mark.

Probably 1995/96 season and Billy Mercer was 3rd keeper.

This is a long shot... The blokes that used to sell the massive full squad posters outside the lane years ago.. I had one that I've never seen since, think it had Alan Kelly, Simon Tracey and a 3rd keeper, possibly wearing the orange and black wards kit but then I remember some yellow goalkeeper shirts too, so could be 96/97/98? 🤔.. Can anyone remember it? Needle in a haystack maybe 😂 and my memory is hazy so could be way off the mark.

Think I had it - if I did, my dad will still have it. I had a few that seems huge at the time but probably weren't all that big in hindsight

And build 4 new stands? We struggled with paying for one stand. South Stand was supposed to cost £650K but we ended up paying a lot more.

True but it would have been nice if we could have done it if money was no limit.

The South Stand, due to the cost of it being built has left us squashed in when we have a lot more land to work with.

Len Badger got injured for the start of the 1972-73 season. Steve Goulding wore the number 2 shirt for the first three months. Badger was fit again to play in September he then played in midfield wearing the number 8 shirt. In November Badger was back in his old position

And build 4 new stands? We struggled with paying for one stand. South Stand was supposed to cost £650K but we ended up paying a lot more.

Seemed to be about £3M for ever
at one point I can recall Grunters (spits) saying Deano was worth more than the ground :D

Keith Kettleborough sent off

I remember it well .

Kettleborough was similar in many ways to McGoldrick and I'm not just talking about the matching bald head . He was a very intelligent footballer who liked to drop deep and had both skill and vision . Up until this match , I was a big fan of his but went off him in a big way after his actions on that day .

This was an important match for us which I always felt we could have won , had it not been for his utterly reckless and totally unnecessary challenge which resulted in the sending off .

Furthermore , and whilst I have no evidence of this , he gave the impression that he knew exactly what he was doing and showed absolutely no remorse about letting down his teammates and the fans in the way that he did .

(Stupid question alert)

Is there anyway of viewing all the photos without going through each page of this thread?

You know, a little but like with Whattsapp groups/iMessage where you can see all the photos that have been attached to a thread...

Yeah, though it was a stupid question!

UTB

SUFC/British Heart Foundation fun run Summer 1987. At first i thought the 'keeper was Keith Waugh but according to Wikipedia he was at Bristol City by then.

Attachments

• IMG_2562.JPG
    IMG_2562.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2563.JPG
    IMG_2563.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2564.JPG
    IMG_2564.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 41
I remember it well .

Kettleborough was similar in many ways to McGoldrick and I'm not just talking about the matching bald head . He was a very intelligent footballer who liked to drop deep and had both skill and vision . Up until this match , I was a big fan of his but went off him in a big way after his actions on that day .

This was an important match for us which I always felt we could have won , had it not been for his utterly reckless and totally unnecessary challenge which resulted in the sending off .

Furthermore , and whilst I have no evidence of this , he gave the impression that he knew exactly what he was doing and showed absolutely no remorse about letting down his teammates and the fans in the way that he did .
Ketts was not far off an England call up when he damaged his knee cartilage. Really crushed his career. At that time it was very serious and ended many footballers careers.

That has just remind me of getting a bit lost beyond a ususally locked gate.....as a small boy and ending up in the long forgotten dusty passageway that were more or less under the "booth" that used to be on the BL/JS corner....

I half expected Ernest Needham to come along and tell me to clear off!!!
As it was. it was some grumpy old fucker :D
Yep.
That sounds like Ernest ;)

As a rule / traditionally football pitches are aligned roughly North-South so the players dont get blinded by low sun in the winter....

I remember it well .

Apologies Tony, wrote this without seeing your post.
What you say about Kettleborough's attributes are correct, so much so it jogged my memory. When Alf Ramsey was drawing up his squad for'66 Kettleborough was in an initial Squad of 44. Could have been the 'Peters' roll he was pencilled in for. If he had been playing for, e.g., Arsenal he would have made the 22 and Peters out.

Last edited:
It is Keith Waugh
Right, as per, SB. BL6 the Keith Waugh photo was at a BDTBL Open Day around '83. Waugh was, on his knees, fielding penalties from the younger kids. I remember because our lad struck him on his right thigh making him wince then giving it a good rub. I'll email this to our young'un, it'll make him smile. The incident is in family folklore. THANKS for the memory.

Len Badger got injured for the start of the 1972-73 season. Steve Goulding wore the number 2 shirt for the first three months. Badger was fit again to play in September he then played in midfield wearing the number 8 shirt. In November Badger was back in his old position

Always wonder whether people in these pictures recognise themselves. The ball boy/girl must do.

Back
Top Bottom