Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm really hesitating to question such a legend on this forum SB, and please accept in advance my humble, grovelling apologies if I am well wide of the beam. But.....
Are the players not photoshopped onto that background 🤔...?? I worked in China for a few years and there was an infamous case there, that was ridiculed brilliantly by the mischievous masses with their photoshop skills.
I would not for one minute suggest the same here but it does open up some possibilities for the more creative and computer savvy amongst us🤔😊😊
How observant to notice the possibility of a photoshop job.
All I would say ,as a no knowledge on the subject, is, look at both players left feet. In the case of Munks there is grass between his boot and the camera. Likewise law's boot is partly hidden by earth, again something between the boot and camera. My question is, is it possible to achieve that effect with photoshop.
Looking at their right feet there is the visual effect that they are 'floating' against the background. As an alternative to the photoshop theory, could the effect be created by the chemicals in the developing process. I would think the photo is pre-digital.
The Historical Football Kits people say( black and white photos ) historically differing developing technics create differing shades, in B&W, of the same colour, hence my developing chemicals theory.
Something to peruse.

How observant to notice the possibility of a photoshop job.
All I would say ,as a no knowledge on the subject, is, look at both players left feet. In the case of Munks there is grass between his boot and the camera. Likewise law's boot is partly hidden by earth, again something between the boot and camera. My question is, is it possible to achieve that effect with photoshop.
Looking at their right feet there is the visual effect that they are 'floating' against the background. As an alternative to the photoshop theory, could the effect be created by the chemicals in the developing process. I would think the photo is pre-digital.
The Historical Football Kits people say( black and white photos ) historically differing developing technics create differing shades, in B&W, of the same colour, hence my developing chemicals theory.
Something to peruse.
Yes indeed, XM 657, I'm more than happy to agree with that. My original comment was a poor attempt to be slightly tongue in check, more than likely coloured by my experiences of the example I referred to. I've eaten humble pie already and have learned a valuable lesson in questioning the wrong people...I'll stick to posting photos, I think :)👍

Yes indeed, XM 657, I'm more than happy to agree with that. My original comment was a poor attempt to be slightly tongue in check, more than likely coloured by my experiences of the example I referred to. I've eaten humble pie already and have learned a valuable lesson in questioning the wrong people...I'll stick to posting photos, I think :)👍
Please don't be so self deprecating, I am an expert in that. You posed a perfectly legitimate question, I attempted to give a solution, surely that's what the forums for even if it can get a bit spicy at times. After all we are all here because we have a common denominator SUFC.

Bloody hell can see a old DC Cook sign on scoreboard. Use to do fiddle work in his old workshops darn Wath. If ever anyone dropped on lucky in business it was him. A reyt useless and idol bugger he was.

If you are familiar with cars, "cookie" and his "Direct motor Spares" place - does the Majestic garage ring any bells in Wath. To the old ones who knew Wath it was next to the old Majestic Cinema. Perhaps even Bob Donald?

Rumour was he had a big win on the pools which led to the rise and I suppose to the eventual fall.

Played footie for Wath and West Melton club and another one further into Wath - from memory, the Burlington - they all played in the Barnsley Nelson League - hardest football i've ever played - Sheffield football was a doddle compared to that league in Barnsley.

Here's me thinking I was was the only Blade in Wath at that time.

UTB

Last edited:
I've not been up to Ball Inn for years. Looking at that photo of the pub - are there houses on the training ground now?

The father of a kid in my class at school was the groundsman at the Ball inn. Name of Vickers

That would have been Phil Vickers? Was at Granville College with him for two years, but that was nearly 50 years ago, never seen him since

Memories Eh!!!
In't it posh. Remember when there was no decoration, dust on every surface that couldn't be touched by passing supporters, no under drawing of the terracing and precious little lighting both natural or generated. A young lad could get lost and did when going for a pee at cricket matches. Although I started my association with BDTBL in JSS, W Wing, at reserve games the greatest of my time was on The Terrace just W of the players tunnel where to get in one passed under JSS passing the home dressing room with occasional views of players pre match.
Tremendous photos, extremely evocative to we who used this stand, thank you again for sharing.

That has just remind me of getting a bit lost beyond a ususally locked gate.....as a small boy and ending up in the long forgotten dusty passageway that were more or less under the "booth" that used to be on the BL/JS corner....

I half expected Ernest Needham to come along and tell me to clear off!!!
As it was. it was some grumpy old fucker :D

This is a long shot... The blokes that used to sell the massive full squad posters outside the lane years ago.. I had one that I've never seen since, think it had Alan Kelly, Simon Tracey and a 3rd keeper, possibly wearing the orange and black wards kit but then I remember some yellow goalkeeper shirts too, so could be 96/97/98? 🤔.. Can anyone remember it? Needle in a haystack maybe 😂 and my memory is hazy so could be way off the mark.

Back
Top Bottom