Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

6th R FAC March 28 '59 drew1-1 after leading 1-0 at HT. Lost replay 3-2. Getting back to Press Box looking at this photo it's obvious it was original till WW2, only changing after the war ended.View attachment 57002
New how to celebrate promotion then, puts wilder and Co in the shade, must have been some do.

Mr S, can you remember a player called John Moore,appeared around Easter time(not entirely sure about the time period) in the first Bassett promotion season, came, played a few games, disappeared never to be seen again.

I always thought he was a ringer, that DB had put in a wig and beard to play, he was really some Wimbledon player
Yes, he played full game in the 2-2 at Wolves. Walked away straight to the tunnel after shaking hands with Wolves players after the final whistle choosing not to join in the celebrations on the pitch.

14 FL appearances between 1960 and 1967. Never appeared in squad photos as he was a part time contract for us and worked at a hospital.

View attachment 58007
Worked with him in Supplies Department at Middlewood which was the buying HQ for all Sheffield hospitals. Great bloke. Worked on the coaching staff as well , but felt a bit sidelined when Bassett came in along with his ' cockney mafia' ( his words).

Help! Can only identify Hampshire Nicholson and Sharp, back row and Binks ,Seward, DB, Illingworth front row. Head held down in shame, please name me the remainder plus gent in suit (scorer ?) if possible. Many thanks in advance.
FS Trueman next to Close

Help! Can only identify Hampshire Nicholson and Sharp, back row and Binks ,Seward, DB, Illingworth front row. Head held down in shame, please name me the remainder plus gent in suit (scorer ?) if possible. Many thanks in advance.
Padgett, Hampshire, Wilson, Illingworth, Ryan, Nicholson, ?, Sharpe top row

Padgett, Hampshire, Wilson, Illingworth, Ryan, Nicholson, ?, Sharpe top row
Did you smile inwardly as you wrote 'Sharpe' safe in the knowledge that it is the correct spelling of the name of a sportsman playing at Bramall Lane for the home team...? No wonder we mortals have problems with Sharp, Clarke, etc.

LH pic described on Picture Sheffield as Bennett Street numbers 31-47 "derilict" circa 1979......except numbers 31 & 33 weren't (see curtains still up) as my Aunt & Grandma both stubbornly refused to move despite both being well in to their 70's. I think they were possibly the last two residents to be moved out of the area before demolition.

RH pic. Greaves at the junction of London Road & Bennett Street. Gift & toy shop. Spent many happy hours in here spending Grandma's wages.

s25209.jpgs38571.jpg

blimey. I wonder if I will finish this thread before I retire (or die)!

I'm up to 543 - which sounds a lot, but I started at newest 😂

I've taken a few pics over the years, though most I've put out before, and although don't use twitter, a dude on a Facebook page asked for some in my collection for a Blades old photos twitter group, or something. So they're most likely on here in this huge megathread.

I did dig out an album the other week, one I did of a day in 1991 of the rebuilding of the kop. They're not digital though, but I'll stick them up when I copy them.

Great thread btw.

blimey. I wonder if I will finish this thread before I retire (or die)!

I'm up to 543 - which sounds a lot, but I started at newest 😂

I've taken a few pics over the years, though most I've put out before, and although don't use twitter, a dude on a Facebook page asked for some in my collection for a Blades old photos twitter group, or something. So they're most likely on here in this huge megathread.

I did dig out an album the other week, one I did of a day in 1991 of the rebuilding of the kop. They're not digital though, but I'll stick them up when I copy them.

Great thread btw.
Oh dear. Using the word "dude" within your first three posts is a hanging offence. :oops:

Oh dear. Using the word "dude" within your first three posts is a hanging offence. :oops:
Too quick. We should go the full Túpac Amaru on him. :cool:
I should put you in the twats thread for making me bloody google your reply.

I meant to write 'some dude', rather than 'a dude',

'a dude on a Facebook page asked for some in my collection for a Blades old photos twitter group, or something.'
'some dude on a Facebook page asked for some in my collection for a Blades old photos twitter group, or something. '

There is a slight difference, but all semantics. I should preview again next time :D (is there a difference in these sentences?! I'm not sure now)

I actually thought I'd written 4 posts Hamburg Blade , so perhaps I'll all ready well and truly hung. (had to preview this for semantics! 😂 )

I'm not googling the other name as I not heard of either.

I think I wrote it originally in the longer version, but after previewing realised I'd written an essay as usual, and cut it down.

I found a great picture tonight on an Archie Leitch fan and artist, in a FB group.

I screenshot it.

Though not specifically an old photo, I think it's worth sharing.

I looked at it, and immediately thought, yes, THAT is art. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-28 Archibald Leitch - A work of Art.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-07-28 Archibald Leitch - A work of Art.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 93
I'll post one of the BL corner. This one is on twitter I think so nothing new.

We really did a good job on that corner and generally with the Bramall Lane end.

Corner is higher than the South so the wall between them doesn't obscure any views (unlike the Pukka Pie corner which is set back from John Street in an act of architectural madness), blends seamlessly with the BLUT and we extended and supported the roof at the same time.

Generally the BL end after moving the lower tier forward to negate the pillars and putting that big triangulated steel piece across the roof to get rid of the pillars altogether looks outwardly like one of our most modern stands despite being the oldest by a fair bit.

Inwardly, definitely 1960s, think the lamps they've got hanging in the BLUT might be older than that 😁

It's just a shame the other corner isn't that nice as I said.

Last edited:
I found a great picture tonight on an Archie Leitch fan and artist, in a FB group.

I screenshot it.

Though not specifically an old photo, I think it's worth sharing.

I looked at it, and immediately thought, yes, THAT is art. :)
A little bit naive in execution but still evocotive of the time. My only quibble would that the crowd are standing in neat rectangles with a lovely neat gap in front of each of the spillways. It wasn't like that. It was just a mass of people all along the terrace apart from where the players tunnel came out.

A little bit naive in execution but still evocotive of the time. My only quibble would that the crowd are standing in neat rectangles with a lovely neat gap in front of each of the spillways. It wasn't like that. It was just a mass of people all along the terrace apart from where the players tunnel came out.

That’s a bit churlish although what you say is factually correct, it’s an interpretation and I would say that the symmetry actually adds to the atmosphere of a more regimented age.

In any case Silent Blade thinks it’s a great pic, that’s good enough for me :)

Back
Top Bottom